Stateroom question

from holland

We have booked a G cat partial seaview stateroom on Upper Promenade deck and just received an 'upgrade' in cat E main deck. Is this a better stateroom or should I try to rebook my G cat stateroom? Apparently the G cat rooms have floor to ceiling windows while the C cat have a regular window. Thank you for any advice!

We have booked a G cat partial seaview stateroom on Upper Promenade deck and just received an 'upgrade' in cat E main deck. Is this a better stateroom or should I try to rebook my G cat stateroom? Apparently the G cat rooms have floor to ceiling windows while the C cat have a regular window. Thank you for any advice!

Sometimes, what the cruise line considers an "upgrade" may not be to your liking. I'm not familiar with the categories on the Niew Amsterdam, but you can always look at the deck plans on the HAL website. They also have 360 views of every stateroom category.

We always avoid cabins that are above or below public areas or crew areas that are likely to be noisy, such as the galley. We always select a cabin with passenger cabins above us and below us.

Other considerations are the location on the ship. Is your new cabin at the bow, the farthest from the dining room? If you or any traveling companions have trouble walking, that might be a problem.

The Niew Amsterdam is a fairly large ship, so ship motion shouldn't be a problem, but if you're very susceptible to "mal de mer", then midship, as low as possible is the place to be. That is where the wave motion will be least noticeable. I have never noticed much wave motion on any of our cruises, but then I am not very prone to seasickness and we have never encountered any seriously bad weather.

It sounds like you booked an ocean view cabin and were upgraded to a balcony cabin. On the face of it, that is a pretty good upgrade, but other factors may make it less enjoyable.

Only you can tell if an upgrade is a good one.

Personally, I'd try to get the G back. The obstructed cabins are laid out exactly like the verandah cabins..bed on the side wall. While the view from the main deck cabins is unobstructed, the bed is directly beneath the window. The only way to really enjoy the window is to have the beds separated and use them as daybeds. In my opinion, anyway.

I would go with the excellent upgrade to the E because I like to look out the window, not through or around a lifeboat which is what you do with an G.

We've been in a G and it was OK, as long as you don't mind not being able to see much, but just having some light.

While the view from the main deck cabins is unobstructed, the bed is directly beneath the window. The only way to really enjoy the window is to have the beds separated and use them as daybeds. In my opinion, anyway.
I don't believe this is true on all ships.

Sometimes, what the cruise line considers an "upgrade" may not be to your liking. I'm not familiar with the categories on the Niew Amsterdam, but you can always look at the deck plans on the HAL website. They also have 360 views of every stateroom category.

We always avoid cabins that are above or below public areas or crew areas that are likely to be noisy, such as the galley. We always select a cabin with passenger cabins above us and below us.

Other considerations are the location on the ship. Is your new cabin at the bow, the farthest from the dining room? If you or any traveling companions have trouble walking, that might be a problem.

The Niew Amsterdam is a fairly large ship, so ship motion shouldn't be a problem, but if you're very susceptible to "mal de mer", then midship, as low as possible is the place to be. That is where the wave motion will be least noticeable. I have never noticed much wave motion on any of our cruises, but then I am not very prone to seasickness and we have never encountered any seriously bad weather.

It sounds like you booked an ocean view cabin and were upgraded to a balcony cabin. On the face of it, that is a pretty good upgrade, but other factors may make it less enjoyable.

Only you can tell if an upgrade is a good one.

"E" cabins are not balcony cabins.. They are unobstructed Outside cabins..Main deck is a great deck to be on..

What confuses me OP is you say you were assigned an "E" cabin but then you are comparing a "C" cabin to a "G" cabin.. "C" & "E" cabins are not the same...

OP, I would go with the "E" cabin on main deck, but beware you may have the bed under the window.. We don't mind that at all, but you may be uncomfortable with it..

Suggest you check out HAL facts on this board to try to see what your cabin looks like.. Also check out the deck plans to see exactly where your cabin is..

Good luck & enjoy your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

... the bed is directly beneath the window. The only way to really enjoy the window is to have the beds separated and use them as daybeds.

... but beware you may have the bed under the window.
Not on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. They are laid out with the head of the bed on the forward or aft walls, just like the verandahs and deck 4 partial views. Check cabins 1001, 1002, and 1005 on halfacts.com Edited by catl331

I agree with some of the posts that the bed is in the middle of the cabin and the loveseat/desk are located by the window in the Main Deck Oceanview cabins.

I thinks it's a great cabin layout.

(And a little off topic -wish the OV on Vista ships had the same layout)

Thank you all for your replies. I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam and after reading your posts and looking at halfacts.com I will definitely stick with my upgrade ( and hope the upgrade fairy will visit again just before leaving). But I am very happy with this cabin so will enjoy my cruise regardless!

Not on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. They are laid out with the head of the bed on the forward or aft walls, just like the verandahs and deck 4 partial views. Check cabins 1001, 1002, and 1005 on halfacts.com

I know that, but since the OP did not mention what ship she/he was sailing on I stated "You MAY[/U] have the bed under your window..

It wasn't until her/his last post that the New Amsterdam was mentioned..[/B]

You have a great upgrade. I was on the Westerdam in April and met some people who were shocked that their floor to ceiling window room view was totally obscured by a lifeboat. They were moved to a between-lifeboat room and still had a pretty blocked view. Your upgraded main deck view will be far superior to the lifeboat view.

I know that, but since the OP did not mention what ship she/he was sailing on I stated "You MAY[/U] have the bed under your window..

It wasn't until her/his last post that the New Amsterdam was mentioned..[/B]

It is in his first post! Look at the box.

Edited by SilvertoGold

It is in his first post! Look at the box.

What box??:confused:

His first post on this thread does not mention a ship & I really don't know what box you are talking about..

Only in one of the answering posts (No. 11) did he mention the NA, but that was after I posted my orig post (No. 7) which was corrected by cat 331....

Please explain where the box is..

thanks..

P.S. Just realized you expected me to go on his avatar to see if he had included the ship..I never do that when I'm reading & posting to threads

P.S,

What box??:confused:

His first post on this thread does not mention a ship & I really don't know what box you are talking about..

Only in one of the answering posts (No. 11) did he mention the NA, but that was after I posted my orig post (No. 7) which was corrected by cat 331....

Please explain where the box is..

thanks..

P.S. Just realized you expected me to go on his avatar to see if he had included the ship..I never do that when I'm reading & posting to threads

Apparently you have signatures turned off. The countdown clock ("box") in the signature shows Nieuw Amsterdam 8-28-2014, which I saw and you did not. The avatar is just the picture or symbol next to your name.

Apparently you have signatures turned off. The countdown clock ("box") in the signature shows Nieuw Amsterdam 8-28-2014, which I saw and you did not. The avatar is just the picture or symbol next to your name.

Right, thanks for explaining this to serendipity1499

That's true, I do have signatures turned off..Phew!..Thought I was going bananas !!;);):):eek:

Yes I also know what the Avatar is...If you click on the Avatar in a persons post, all the posters statistics come up such as cruises already booked etc..But I don't normally click on any ones Avatar when I'm reading & posting, unless I want to know specifics about a poster, which is very rare.. that's why I didn't see the OP's booking..

If you click on the Avatar in a persons post, all the posters statistics come up such as cruises already booked etc...
I didn't know you could click the avatar for that! I've always clicked the person's underlined name, since underlining commonly denotes a link. :)