Wine tastings on board

JJean

I know there is a wine tasting and/or wine dinner on board that you need to sign up as soon as you board. Does anyone know what they are and the price. I have read about it before and forgot

Thanks for your help.

I was on the Royal Princess in mid July. They offered 2 wine tastings. I attended the Super Tuscan tasting and it was excellent. The cost was $40. We sampled 5 reds and each was paired with food. The second tasting was $25. I didn't attend that one, but I believe it was a mix of reds and whites.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know there is a wine tasting and/or wine dinner on board that you need to sign up as soon as you board. Does anyone know what they are and the price. I have read about it before and forgot

Thanks for your help.

There is a Winemaker's Dinner offered only on the Royal and the Regal. It is $40/person and space is limited. There should be two wine tastings on a typical 7 day cruise. The Grapevine wine tasting is $9.50 and is complementary for Elite members. The Maitre d' wine tasting is $25. I have never seen a limit of the people who can attend the wine tastings. There are also wine flights and special wine tastings at Vines if there is one on the ship you are sailing. Having been to the other wine tastings numerous times, I would be inclined to stick with Vines. In four cruises as Elite, we have only attended our free Grapevine tasting once.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was on the Royal Princess in mid July. They offered 2 wine tastings. I attended the Super Tuscan tasting and it was excellent. The cost was $40. We sampled 5 reds and each was paired with food. The second tasting was $25. I didn't attend that one, but I believe it was a mix of reds and whites.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like the Winemaker's Dinner, the Super Tuscan tasting is only offered on the Royal and the Regal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know there is a wine tasting and/or wine dinner on board that you need to sign up as soon as you board.

There is a Winemaker's Dinner offered only on the Royal and the Regal. It is $40/person and space is limited. There should be two wine tastings on a typical 7 day cruise. The Grapevine wine tasting is $9.50 and is complementary for Elite members. The Maitre d' wine tasting is $25.

Of the ones EICalCruiser lists, only the Winemaker's Dinner requires signing up ASAP. Call the DINE line from your cabin to sign up.

Old world and new world "Stammtisch" wine tastings at Vines are limited to around 12 people and are $15. They are, by far IMHO, the way to go. Sign up at Vines as soon as you get on. They also give you a very nice platter of cheeses, etc.

We attended the $9.50 wine tasting yesterday on the Caribbean Princess. It was underwhelming. The good thing is that we got to attend for free since we are Elite in the Captains Circle. They served two white wines, two red wines, and a dessert wine. We got to keep the shot glass the dessert wine was served in.

We attended the $9.50 wine tasting yesterday on the Caribbean Princess. It was underwhelming. The good thing is that we got to attend for free since we are Elite in the Captains Circle. They served two white wines, two red wines, and a dessert wine. We got to keep the shot glass the dessert wine was served in.

Isn't it though. The only reason we show up is to get the shot glasses & leave immediately. We used to give out wine samples to others around the table but they didn't even want them any more.;)

My wife and I and our son attended the $25 wine tasting on Star a couple of years ago. It was a fairly nice mix of wines and there were plenty of appetizers served. It was held in one of the dining rooms and Rui was running it.

To me the $40 Super Tuscan wine tasting on the Royal was overpriced with 3 of the 5 wines in the $20s-$30s range. The snacks were better but to me the wines were no better than the $25 Maître d' wine tasting. For the same $40 we had a wonderful meal at the Winemakers Dinner & enjoyed unlimited wine priced in the mid $30 range. :)

Vines has wine "flights" available which has a set price for 3 tastes of wine.

If you really want to learn something from the wine tasting, I suggest you skip the Grapevines Wine tasting and go for the Maitre'D Wine Tasting. If you want to simply have some fun, do whatever you want!

The Grapevines tasting is lower in cost and lower in quality of wine and snacks. Many of the attendees do not pay attention and talk loudly during the speaker's discussion of the wines, making it impossible to understand the information being provided. That said, we still go (no charge as Elite) but I know if I don't get a table near the speaker, all I'm doing is enjoying the wine and snacks.

The higher end wine tastings do cost more and IMHO I think it is a more serious winey (oenophile?) crowd that attends. Thus the attendees conversations are more muted and you can hear the speaker's discussion. Well, they are at least initially muted, as the wine's affects kick in, the volume does grow, but not as much as at Grapevines. Wines and snacks are much better as well.

The Grapevines tasting is lower in cost and lower in quality of wine and snacks. Many of the attendees do not pay attention and talk loudly during the speaker's discussion of the wines, making it impossible to understand the information being provided. That said, we still go (no charge as Elite) but I know if I don't get a table near the speaker, all I'm doing is enjoying the wine and snacks.

Agree. The noise is quite disrespectful to the speakers.

To me the $40 Super Tuscan wine tasting on the Royal was overpriced with 3 of the 5 wines in the $20s-$30s range.
The thing is that "Super Tuscans" don't sell in the $20-30 price range.

Apparently you have not been to the Royal Princess' Super Tuscan wine tasting. I have been to it and here are the 3 less expensive wines they serve at their $40 "Super Tuscan" wine tasting:

Terre More Dell' Ammiraglia: $28

Lucente della Vite: $34

Le Volte Dell' Ornellaia: $36

Edited by Astro Flyer