Cunard World Cruise 2016 information

Austcruiser84

You wouldn't offend me sitting there with your drink and chattering and I don't see how I can offend you, sitting there in silence, with my drink, and reading or completing the crossword.
You are taking up a seat while reading. Bad you. Stand in corner and read. Leave all seats empty so people have choice of all seats. No seriously I do not understand how anyone expects lounge bar be always empty.

Problem is if you on first seat 6.30 then if you arrive in bar early at 5 people eating later are still enjoying the day and not need to hurry away at 5 oclock. They leave later and they go get ready for later meal.

Cheers.

There's nowt so queer as folk. One of my pleasures is to take my tablet to breakfast and read the Times over my bowl of fruit and cereal. One of the marvels of technology. So I have no objection to passengers using phones, tablets notebooks in bars, lounges etc. But I can still get wound up when phone conversations are made for all to hear. And over loud conversations generally. And constant flash flash flash in the theatre.
We agree with words above. You right in all said. Bad behaviour rudeness lack of consideration no politeness for usual rules in theatre is different matter.
But sitting quietly in a bar or lounge reading an online paper or these boards?
Nothing wrong.

Cheers.

Please note I did mention that

a/ Chart Room is a BAR, where presumably a passenger goes to sit and enjoy a drink.

With book. With friends. Checking on family at home by email. Enjoying the cruise. Looking forward to later dinner.
If I go in there to have a glass of wine before going into dinner, (5-6p.m) and cannot even get a seat because the chairs/tables are filled with casually dressed passengers, using lap tops to catch up on "office work", joke e mails, pictures/conversations of "doggy " missing them, family BBQ "back home" . yes I get annoyed.
Why. Are they not allowed to enjoy their cruise their way as opposed to your cruise your way.
The rest of the world should not have to put their lives on hold in order that an addict can use their lap top, phone, I pod or whatever, whenever and wherever they please.
We cannot believe you wrote previous about people you meet on your next cruise. They will really want meet you at meet and mingle. That is a lot of drinks to buy.
It is called being sensitive to the rights of others.
Please read line again.
doing that which is right for the time of day and the place
I cannot find this in Cunard rules. Where located.

Cheers.

What about passengers that travel alone? I know some of them like to take a book - or an e-reader( possibly a tablet) so that if nobody wants to speak to them, they can read and not feel uncomfortable sitting alone. I wouldn't dream of suggesting they should sit in their cabin reading, when they could be perfectly well behaved and causing no problem reading in a public room. - I can read AND listen to music, as can many others.

Please note I did mention that

a/ Chart Room is a BAR, where presumably a passenger goes to sit and enjoy a drink.

b/ Time of day, ie when then is entertainment in there for those enjoying the PRE DINNER drink time. That is the reason Cunard offer entertainment in there.

If I go in there to have a glass of wine before going into dinner, (5-6p.m) and cannot even get a seat because the chairs/tables are filled with casually dressed passengers, using lap tops to catch up on "office work", joke e mails, pictures/conversations of "doggy " missing them, family BBQ "back home" . yes I get annoyed.

We sit down to dinner much later. At that time I'm still digesting the remains of afternoon tea while you are dressed for dinner.

These people have cabins, why not use them?

Why? Because 'these people' have as much right as you to be around the ship, I in my 'scruffs' and you in your finery. It's overlapping time.

However, mindful of 'the rules' I am always out of the public rooms if 'scruffy', by the stated time.

The rest of the world should not have to put their lives on hold in order that an addict can use their lap top, phone, I pod or whatever, whenever and wherever they please.

Find me the rule which says they can't be used in public spaces on-board.

It is not a question of being in the 21st century or the back in the "dark ages" when people actually did live without being "hooked up".

I got tennis elbow from carrying/reading heavy tomes!

It is called being sensitive to the rights of others. doing that which is right for the time of day and the place

'Sensitive to the rights of others'. Precisely.

Of course no one would cut their toe nails in the Chart Room, but on the other hand ,------ what are the excuses given by the "techniks" ? Oh yes - it is quiet, it does not disturb others, so why not, if that is what I wish to do??????

What right has some "old f***" to complain just because she wants to come in , sit down, have a glass of wine and listen to four old violins scratching away or a harpist?

You can complain as much as you want to, and you do. It will make not a jot of difference. That 'overlapping hour' needs give and take, on both sides.

She says "THAT is the object of Cunard having a Chart Room" ?

Too bad, , if I want to do what I want, when I want, then the rest of the passengers can just go to and scratch themselves, (perhaps they should not be on board anyway, they are "past it". )

Obviously, between 5pm and 6pm, 'two worlds' collide and give and take on both sides is required.

I won't sniff at you all scrubbed up when I want a relaxing hour over a drink and a book, and you don't sniff at me because I'm relaxed, reading a book and not scrubbed up.

Respect for both sides of the coin. The world would be a much easier place to live in.

What about passengers that travel alone? I know some of them like to take a book - or an e-reader( possibly a tablet) so that if nobody wants to speak to them, they can read and not feel uncomfortable sitting alone. I wouldn't dream of suggesting they should sit in their cabin reading, when they could be perfectly well behaved and causing no problem reading in a public room. - I can read AND listen to music, as can many others.

DH and I always have our Kindles with us and one of our pleasurable wind-downs whilst on holiday is to enjoy a cocktail or two in a pleasant bar. Even better if there is some good music. We read, we chat quietly, we sip our drinks, we enjoy the music. And if I'm travelling alone I do exactly the same.

Sometimes I'll use my phone (using WiFi) to look up something - maybe a word or a reference in the book I'm reading, the history of a tune that I hear, the recipe of the cocktail I'm enjoying. It's wonderful to be able to research something immediately no matter where you are.

I'd rather be sitting next to people like us in a bar, than a noisy group of revellers but even those people have the right to enjoy themselves IMHO.

...Every evening at 5.15 approx. dressed for dinner I go to the Chart room, for my pre dinner drinks and to listen to harpist, string quartet or pianist.

However more and more I have seen passengers in there occupying the tables wearing "scruffy clothes" drinking "free water" using their Laptops, "texting" or whatever they do while glued to their screen...

Why are you so blatantly disregarding the dress code? Evenings and the required dress, as specified in the daily program, begin at 6:00 PM, not 5:00 PM.

I apologise if I have missed the reason whilst reading through this thread…

But, why can't the QM2 visit the Falkland Islands?

It is to do with ports/sailing in and out? Or political?

Thanks.

It's political and all about the Falklands War.

They could go if they so wished to do so. Argentina kicked up a fuss two years saying that ships flying the British flag would be stopped going to Argentina if they had visited the Falklands first. Now Cunard ships are no longer British registered . Also they could miss out Argentina if they wanted to do so and just visit the Falklands. In fact they are missing out both ports , Argentina and Falklands. At least Cunard have not advertised these countries as ports of call like P&O did two years ago and cancelled them all two weeks before departure with no chance of a refund or chance to cancel and rebook another cruise.

There is no guarantee you get to go ashore in the Falklands as it is a tender port and depends on the weather.

Shame really as the Falklands is an import port of call for many who visit South America and the locals depend on the ships calling there.

Easter Island is usually a sail by and that depends on how close the ship sails to the coast whether you see any of the famous statue heads or not. We never did when we sailed by. Not worth seeing otherwise as it is just another island.

Why are you so blatantly disregarding the dress code? Evenings and the required dress, as specified in the daily program, begin at 6:00 PM, not 5:00 PM.

She isn't. You can wear evening dress all day if you wish. It's only "mandatory" after 6.

Anyway as first sitting starts at 6 we would have a h... of a rush to get ready.

David.

I'm currently on board the eastbound crossing and quite often sit in the Chart Room prior to first seating. I'll pay more attention but the last couple of days when I've walked through to sit down I haven't noticed any iPads, laptops etc. If they aren't disturbing anybody I don't see a problem. They paid for the privilege of sitting there just like anybody else.

They could go if they so wished to do so. Argentina kicked up a fuss two years saying that ships flying the British flag would be stopped going to Argentina if they had visited the Falklands first. Now Cunard ships are no longer British registered . Also they could miss out Argentina if they wanted to do so and just visit the Falklands. In fact they are missing out both ports , Argentina and Falklands. .

QM2 is visiting Argentina. It will stop in Ushuaia on 10 Feb, 2016. That's a stop that's easily bypassed if there's a threat of problems.

I think, also, that QM2 is too big to dock in Ushuaia so it will be a tender access which also makes it more difficult for anyone to demonstrate near the ship.

QM2 is visiting Argentina. It will stop in Ushuaia on 10 Feb, 2016. That's a stop that's easily bypassed if there's a threat of problems.

I think, also, that QM2 is too big to dock in Ushuaia so it will be a tender access which also makes it more difficult for anyone to demonstrate near the ship.

Ushuaia is in Agentina as you rightly point out. The ship would not be able to go there if it has been to the Falklands as the Argentinians would protest no doubt. We missed out on Ushuaia two years ago because of this. Shame as Argentina is a big pull when it comes to interesting destinations but their loss I guess for playing silly b's.

Edited by maggiemou

Ushuaia is in Agentina as you rightly point out. The ship would not be able to go there if it has been to the Falklands as the Argentinians would protest no doubt. We missed out on Ushuaia two years ago because of this. Shame as Argentina is a big pull when it comes to interesting destinations but their loss I guess for playing silly b's.

Which was my point when I said the reason QM2 wasn't going to the Falklands due to political reasons.

We can't even get the brochure on the Australia site.:mad:

no, they always leave us in the dark and this is probably the most inventive treks that they have planned for years,

try this link... which was previously posted...

https://cunard.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Cunard_World-Voyages-2016/doublepage

I think the 2016 World Voyage routes for 2016 look great. It is a good move to have QM2 taking a different approach and going via South America. We were on a number of legs this year and it was clear that they had to discount some legs a lot as the route was, I guess, pretty much done. There were only around 90 people doing the full voyage this year on QM2.

What are people thinking of doing? Although love the QM2 and the South America option think we will go for the QV as the draw of getting to do the Panama Canal is huge for us...

Edited by Garybem

Counting down the days until I can see my TA to book the first week of the world cruise (I hope that's possible).

Wanting to do:

NYC-NYC Caribbean Dec 22-Jan 4

NYC-Southampton Jan 4-10

Southampton-NYC Jan 10-17

So, 26 nights all up :)

You can book the first two parts of that now.

The NYC stop, by the way, is Jan 3.

We are considering the Queen Victoria 2016 W.C. Any advice would be welcome, chose this one for as it was the best of the three considering Ports of Call.

Newbies to W.C. & Cunard Line

Agree! It looks a fab route. We have just lined up our cruise agent to book us on this from Southampton to the 2nd Sydney stop. Looking forward to it.

If you want any insights on travelling with Cunard I would be happy to let you have a copy of an eBook I have about "Cruising with Cunard".

Gary