just back from Summit 8/3/14

inforem

Inforem, I'm sorry you had the disappointment with not being included in the alumni activities.

However, I note with interest that your mother was in the wheelchair accessible sky suite as we are booked in this room for a cruise next year. By any chance do you have any pictures, especially of the balcony/room interface (ramp or however the exit onto the balcony from the room is designed) as well as into the bathroom from the room? I would appreciate seeing those as we had a very negative experience in this regard on the Century.

Also, I have read that after you check in, you are taken by bus to actually board. If this is correct, was there a wheelchair accessible bus or how was this handled with your mother? Thank you for the information.

Yes but your TA should have insured that you were booked correctly. As you found out, not everyone on that sailing was included. I think you should be calling your TA Mañana not Celebrity

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both will be called as it was originally booked through Celebrity and my TA just picked up the reservation.

Thanks for the review. I'll be doing the Christmas sailing. I'm curious about lunch the first day. How did you know about Normandie? I'm travelling with one person who isn't a fan of buffets, so a seat down would work better for us.

Learned this on Cruise Critic….to my knowledge it is only for suite guest and possibly high ups on Captain Club...

How was the weather and seas? There was some concern about Bertha.... so? :confused:

Captain Leonardo did a great job of keeping us out of Bertha's way. Sea were smooth with no rocking of the boat. That was my biggest fear about traveling last week.

GREAT JOB CAPTAIN LEONARDO!!!!!!!!!

Inforem, I'm sorry you had the disappointment with not being included in the alumni activities.

However, I note with interest that your mother was in the wheelchair accessible sky suite as we are booked in this room for a cruise next year. By any chance do you have any pictures, especially of the balcony/room interface (ramp or however the exit onto the balcony from the room is designed) as well as into the bathroom from the room? I would appreciate seeing those as we had a very negative experience in this regard on the Century.

Also, I have read that after you check in, you are taken by bus to actually board. If this is correct, was there a wheelchair accessible bus or how was this handled with your mother? Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately i don't think i have any pictures on my phone of the suite. The room was 8127 just off the library and the glass elevators. It is in the middle of the ship. There is a ramp that leads to the balcony and a little ramp that is on the balcony. The balcony has wooded plank floors so it is easier to get around. This particular room has a larger balcony. The advantage of a handicap accessible suite is the shower. The other suites have a bathtub that is almost impossible if not impossible to get into (even for able bodied guest). The room does not have a walk in closet like other sky suites, because they leave room for the wheelchair as soon as you walk in. If you can get 8127 get it. We have had it 3 years in a room and the butler and room stewards are EXCELLANT

Please post a review, I'd love to know how your cruise went, and know about any bad advice or info I gave you ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I will definitely be writing a review! Your information was very helpful and we had a great and interesting cruise. Very different in many ways from prior cruises, but I'll say more about that in my review. Sorry to hijack a bit! :o

The only problem was the maître d' (spelling) named Limba.

For some reason the maitre'ds on Summit are MIA. One cruise (last September 2013) we did not even have one for our section as they were short handed. This was a 14 day cruise and only once were we visited by another maitre'd and never saw her again.

Our May 2013 cruise - 7 night Bermuda we saw our maitre'd once for 2 minutes. So not sure what is up with the maitre'ds on Summit.

Having said that all our waiters and assistant waiters have been fantastic.

Disappointed to hear about the chocolates. We had them every night in May on our Bermuda cruise. Oh well!!

So sorry you had problems with your Ranger Alumni gatherings. I am curious thought, isn't that the alumni association's responsibility and not Celebrity's?

Edited by CruisingChick

Captain Leonardo did a great job of keeping us out of Bertha's way. Sea were smooth with no rocking of the boat. That was my biggest fear about traveling last week.

That's what I guessed last week when there was a clear "thread the needle" gap there. Wish I had been with you guys as we almost booked last minute but after four weeks cruising already this year and another bunch land touring we needed a bit of home time before heading back to work....

OOOPS! Used that four letter word...

Getting-Ahead-at-Work-by-Improving-your-Image.jpg

I thought your review sounded honest and objective. Our first cruise (Celebrity) went terribly wrong (for me) with a service promised and not fulfilled. I was very upset. Plus issues with our cabin. Our calls went on deaf ears and calls not returned surprised me. Our "mensch" was Jeff Potts the Guest Relations Manager. Although it was too late to turn back the clock we received dinner at Qsine AND a generous credit toward another cruise. We did not expect the credit. It was a win/win. Without the credit I'm not sure we would have cruised again and if so, I'm certain it would NOT have been with Celebrity. Our second cruise (w/ the credit) was so awesome, we are diehard fans.

Thanks for posting your review. It really is a good lesson.

Jeff Potts now is a Cruise Director.

Edited by ISABELLA

Thanks for that. I have to admit being a tad nervous about sailing to Bermuda at the peak of hurricane season. Unlike the myriad of islands in the Caribbean, there isn't much place to run from one, out there in the middle of the Atlantic! :eek: Glad to hear that this nice young Captain knows his way around stormy seas! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

We are sailing on the Summit in about a month also in an accessible sky suite. Glad to hear you like it.

Re: Cape Liberty, would you mind reviewing how they handled wheelchair passengers (if you know - you didn't mention whether that was the sort of handicap which landed you all in an accessible cabin):

- where do you get wheelchair assistance in the terminal? Any issues there?

- any issues getting a handicapped parking space?

- how do they handle the wheelchair passengers as far as the bus to the ship and getting up into the ship from the bus, etc.?

- is the lunch in Normandie a sit down service lunch or a buffet? just curious.

- for disembarkation, what is the process for getting wheelchair assistance off the ship, through customs, etc.?

Thanks for your help. We've done cruises mostly out of Ft. Lauderdale.

So sorry you had problems with your Ranger Alumni gatherings. I am curious thought, isn't that the alumni association's responsibility and not Celebrity's?

Not when it is advertised as a celebrity event on the celebrity website. That is a selling point and come on for people to book that week.

Not when it is advertised as a celebrity event on the celebrity website. That is a selling point and come on for people to book that week.

Okay, I see. I do know a lot of other groups you have to call a special # to book to have access to any of the events for that sailing.

There have been music cruises, soap opera cruises, etc where they give you a separate number to call to book to be included.

Edited by CruisingChick

We are sailing on the Summit in about a month also in an accessible sky suite. Glad to hear you like it.

Re: Cape Liberty, would you mind reviewing how they handled wheelchair passengers (if you know - you didn't mention whether that was the sort of handicap which landed you all in an accessible cabin):

****register online for pier assistance and also make sure it is on your reservation****

- any issues getting a handicapped parking space?

****we were at the lot by 11:30 and had no problem, parked next to where they take your money. Have the placard showing****

- how do they handle the wheelchair passengers as far as the bus to the ship and getting up into the ship from the bus, etc.?

****they wheel you out to the bus, put down a ramp and wheel you onboard. If you are using a Celebrity wheelchair they keep it and give you another when you get off the bus****

- is the lunch in Normandie a sit down service lunch or a buffet? just curious.

****waiter service with a limited menu but very good.****

- for disembarkation, what is the process for getting wheelchair assistance off the ship, through customs, etc.?

****basically the same as embarkment. Celebrity is extremely accommodating.****

Thanks for your help. We've done cruises mostly out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Look for the stars to get the answers to all your questions. If you want more answers just ask

Okay, I see. I do know a lot of other groups you have to call a special # to book to have access to any of the events for that sailing.

There have been music cruises, soap opera cruises, etc where they give you a separate number to call to book to be included.

And like the others, the Celebrity Website had a special number posted for access to the Rangers Cruise. I found the site and phone number by following a link from the Ranger's website announcing the cruise.

Edited by cle-guy

Thank you, Inforem, for all of the accessibility information. We are booked in that suite for our cruise next summer. I am glad to hear there is a ramp to the balcony as we had a major issue with that on our Century cruise. We were shocked that a wheelchair accessible stateroom would not have a ramp to the balcony and wanted to make sure we would not have the same problem on the Summit or we would definitely change our booking.

****register online for pier assistance and also make sure it is on your reservation****

I poorly worded my question. I was really asking where physically in the terminal do you pick up the wheelchair assistance; e.g. by the door? just ask the first celebrity person you see? etc.

Thanks.

I poorly worded my question. I was really asking where physically in the terminal do you pick up the wheelchair assistance; e.g. by the door? just ask the first celebrity person you see? etc.

Thanks.

As soon as you are dropped off to unload your luggage have someone in your party flag down a celebrity employee and tell them you need wheelchair assistance. They will wheel the person from start to the bus and then from leaving the bus to normandie or wherever…they appreciate being tipped. Remember to pre register…also a bit of addition advise for anyone who is bringing a CPAP aboard…register and they will have distilled water for your machine…and lastly if you are a diabetic taking injection they will also supply a sharpie container…enough said

Edited by inforem

Thanks so much for your help. I like to generally know what I am getting into so this was much appreciated. We always do tip the wheelchair assistants - they are unfailingly friendly and helpful. I am also all set and registered with the Celebrity special needs folks. Thanks again.