Did I make an upgrade mistake?

SunnydayKim

Just got off of the phone with Carnival and they upgraded us for no charge to an Aft-Extended cabin. We were booked in a regular balcony on Empress (7) level and are now still on Empress (7) level but with an Aft-Extended cabin 7446.

It was no extra cost and I love the idea of the "extended" balcony where we can actually all 3 be out there and not feel cramped. However, now I am concerned that maybe I didn't think this through and will it be too bumpy/vibrating even on the 7th level?

Did I make a mistake or a good move? (help! as it may not be to late to switch back to our old standard balcony room)

Kim

Just got off of the phone with Carnival and they upgraded us for no charge to an Aft-Extended cabin. We were booked in a regular balcony on Empress (7) level and are now still on Empress (7) level but with an Aft-Extended cabin 7446.

It was no extra cost and I love the idea of the "extended" balcony where we can actually all 3 be out there and not feel cramped. However, now I am concerned that maybe I didn't think this through and will it be too bumpy/vibrating even on the 7th level?

Did I make a mistake or a good move? (help! as it may not be to late to switch back to our old standard balcony room)

Kim

This is up to you and a totally personal decision. Me personally, I wouldn't do it, I didn't like the noise and vibration at the aft of the ship. However, MANY people swear by these cabins. And since it was free, all the better!! Just up to how you feel about it. My family is personally happy in an OV cabin and don't even need a balcony. We like getting it cheaper and we just don't spend that much time in the room. I like the relative calm of mid-ship.

I would've taken that upgrade in a heartbeat! I LOVE aft balconies. I could sit for hours and just watch the wake...so peaceful. Sometimes there is a slight vibration but I've never been bothered by it. Just a little reminder that you are on a moving vessel.

Kim

We love the aft, but as the above response said it is about what you prefer. Aft is a bit closer to things like the comedy club, buffet and MDR which is all an appeal to us. Of the three (forward, mid and aft) we choose aft... but again this seems to be a personal choice. Either way, happy sailing.

You know I don't have an answer for you. I would go with it and try it. I have often wanted to try an aft balcony but I hear people get seasick or noise then you hear other just going on and on about them and that's all they book.

While I have never booked one, because I'm a little nervous about the seasick part, earplugs stop the noise so bring a pair. It may be the best experience ever. If I ever get a free offer I certainly want to try it until then I probably will stick to my middle forward....and actually in Nov we booked our first forward balcony so we will be checking it out.

Be adventurous :):)

We will experience our first aft cabin onboard Dream in December. I cannot wait! We're not prone to seasickness & vibrations may lull us to sleep. I've heard the vibrations occur when docking or leaving dock. Looking forward to the extra balcony space as we enjoy our time out there morning, noon, and night! I am slightly concerned about soot but know it will be addressed each day if mentioned to cabin staff.

As previously posted, you won't know if you like or dislike an aft cabin until you try it. This is why we are trying it.

Kim

I didn't see you mention what ship you were on. But we were in 7434 on the Liberty on our last cruise and we did not notice any vibration. I think you will be fine. I love the aft location, especially the aft view cabins. They are wonderful. If you do by chance happen to feel vibrations it's not going to be an all the time thing, it is going to be when the ship is pulling into and out of port, not when the ship is cruising in the middle of the ocean. We had major vibration issues on the crown princess, but still it was only in and out of port and it wasn't enough to bother us because it wasn't all the time.

Thank you all for your replies! I think I was just having second thoughts, but you are right- how will I know if we like it if we do not try it :)

And, trying for free is a good thing!

We will be on the Glory on a 7 day cruise in September! Less than 1 month away!

We have never felt sea-sick on past cruises, but I do remember feeling the boat and vibration while eating in the MDR on our last cruise; so- that is what started me having second thoughts! I guess though- now that I think about it- it was when we were leaving port.

Looking forward to our cruise and I hope we enjoy and end up loving the aft-extended cabin as much as so many of you do!

Thanks again,

Kim

Personally, if it were free and you weren't specifically in another cabin, I'd take it! We've done aft before and never had an issue with motion or vibration. I prefer to go midship usually but going aft is a unique experience as well. If it's free, enjoy it and see what you think :) you'll like being so close to the aft Lido area and aft Promenade, near all the action!

An aft-view corner balcony opened up on my cruise on Friday. I was tempted to upgrade/upsell to this much sought after cabin, and called Carnival to see if I could grab it. I could have taken the cabin, but would have lost half of my obc ($420, going down to $210), so I declined. If I could have made the change with no extra cost, or a reduction in the OBC I would have taken it. I usually stay in aft, or almost near aft cabins, and haven't felt any vibrations from the ship when sleeping.

The advantage of an aft facing cabin is ---- when you get off the elevator it doesn't make any difference which hallway you take!:D

As long as you turn toward the aft and not the forward. LOL :D LOL

(Yes, I am speaking from first-hand experience!) :D

We had an aft balcony on the Dream and will have one on the Sunshine in November. Then it is back to regular balcony cabins for us. The slight vibration did not bother me and I loved watching the wake. BUT, at least on the Dream, the sun was too much for me; I love to read on the balcony and the heat on the aft balcony with little breeze did not permit being out there much.

Give the aft a try and you will know for future bookings whether you like it or not.

Edited by tinyrose

Kim

I am a big believer in trying anything once. I know that it will probably be bumpier but at the same time, I think the extended balcony might make up for the slight increase in movement! Definitely tell us how it goes! :D

Once you go aft you'll never go back. I love aft balcony cabins. The vibration is rarely noticeable unless you are EXTREMELY sensitive to movement or there is an issue and thrusters need to be kicked in for an extended period. You may feel vibration going in and out of port.

You will love the larger balcony. It will be more than adequate for the three of you. Kicking back in the evening or night time, enjoying a beverage and watching the wake is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise.

I agree with everyone else: If you don't give it a try you'll never know. However, I think you will be happy you took advantage of the offer.

Take care,

Mike

Have been in aft suite twice on NCL Sun so was very pleased to be able to book an aft balcony on Magic for November.

Nobody has mentioned that sitting out there at night is almost mystical. So dark and peaceful. I love it.

We love the Aft Balcony! We had it on the Dream, the Legend, and the Breeze! The first time it was a free upgrade on the Dream! We thought it was peaceful and loved the view of the wake behind us! My husband loved stretching out his legs with the bigger balcony! Enjoy it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for your replies! I think I was just having second thoughts, but you are right- how will I know if we like it if we do not try it :)

And, trying for free is a good thing!

We will be on the Glory on a 7 day cruise in September! Less than 1 month away!

We have never felt sea-sick on past cruises, but I do remember feeling the boat and vibration while eating in the MDR on our last cruise; so- that is what started me having second thoughts! I guess though- now that I think about it- it was when we were leaving port.

Looking forward to our cruise and I hope we enjoy and end up loving the aft-extended cabin as much as so many of you do!

Thanks again,

Kim

We might have had your same aft cabin on the Glory on the Empress deck. So this probably wont help much but I LOVED it DH not so much! LOL He was bothered by the vibrations and as everyone has said those will be felt docking in the mornings. I however sleep with DH who snored much MUCH louder than the vibration so for me....piece of cake!

The best part for me...if you are a sunset picture taker...it is heaven! I got the best sunset pics EVER! You have a panoramic view of the horizon of 180 degrees!

Getting this opportunity free is the perfect way to try it! Take ear plugs and have a BLAST! BTW we are in our first Grand Suite next week on the Liberty....upgraded for zero $ from a balcony with the Senior rate (Carnival select the room) to a suite and were assigned a Grand Suite! SCORE!

Edited by bbmom2boys