Cesky Krumlov versus Passau Walking Tour

happyspouses

We will be traveling with Vantage Travel on the ms River Splendor in September 2014 to Passau. We have to select between a full day excursion to Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic or a walking tour of Passau. Has anyone taken either of these excursions or does anyone have any feedback from fellow Vantage Travelers as to which excursion we should be considering?

Both have their merits. Cesky Krumlov (Krumau in German) is a very pretty town with the second largest castle / fortress complex after Prague, other than visiting castle and shopping and eating (very good). The journey takes a liuttle over two hours.

In Passau, after the walking tour (about 1 1/2 hours) you should have free time to take in the organ recital in St. Stephens Cathedral. If you have time try to get to Oberhaus (fortress on the other side of Danube, for spetacular voews over Passau and it's rivers, take the shuttle bus from Ratshaus Platz. Here is the webcam from Oberhaus:

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/de/Wetter-Passau/1470-Passau-Wetter.php

Have a beer in the biergarten there

http://www.dasoberhaus.com/en/welcome.html

Let me know if you need any further information.

PS. I live close to Passau.

In May we were on the AMA Prima and had both a tour of Passau and an optional tour to Cesky Krumlov. Enjoyed both, but loved going to Cesky. The scenery along the way was enjoyable and the medieval village of Cesky Krumlov was wonderful.

Cesky Krumlov pluses: gets you into another country and you get to visit a UNESCO World Heritage site, which influences some of us. The bus ride affords the opportunity to to see countryside other than along the river.

Folks on our cruise who went absolutely loved it. We had opted for a similar all-day tour to Salzburg and saw some beautiful countryside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have been to both cities. I liked both but I would choose the trip to Cesky Krumlov. I think it is difininitely worth visiting another country, experiencing their culture, cuisine, history and seeing the countryside. To me Cesky is sorta like a fairytale land at a Disney theme park except that it really exists and wasn't built as a fake attraction. I hope you love it as much as we did! Hopefully you will have a little time when you return to the ship to walk around Passau. But be sure to be on deck when you sail into Passau. It is a beautiful city from the Danube.

We were dropped off in Linz, Austria to take the bus ride to Cesky Kromlov. The road was too winding for me with trees too close to the road. I am very prone to motion sickness and this was not the trip for me. Luckily, we stopped part way there or I would have been sick.

I should have stayed on the boat and seen Passau.

I booked the Vantage Budapest to Bonn cruise late last year for August 30, 2015 (this cruise stops in Passau)and asked if Cesky would still be an option. I was reassured at the time of booking that it would be. I found out later by reading the 2015 Vantage catalogue that beginning in 2015 Cesky is no longer an option. The Passau walking tour is the only option. I suspect this is a cost cutting measure but I suppose it could have been due to lack of demand. In any case, we are still excited about the cruise and will visit Cesky at some other point.

I booked the Vantage Budapest to Bonn cruise late last year for August 30, 2015 (this cruise stops in Passau)and asked if Cesky would still be an option. I was reassured at the time of booking that it would be. I found out later by reading the 2015 Vantage catalogue that beginning in 2015 Cesky is no longer an option. The Passau walking tour is the only option. I suspect this is a cost cutting measure but I suppose it could have been due to lack of demand. In any case, we are still excited about the cruise and will visit Cesky at some other point.

That's a shame. We went to Cesky from Linz. There were three very popular tours offered at that time; Slazburg, Lakes District and Cesky. Our bus was just about full.

Hopefully you will make it there for a visit someday.

We went from Passau to Cesky by private transpiration. I would assume the bus would probably take a similar route. It was not a winding road and the trip was quite pleasant.

I agree the road was not winding from Passau to Cesky Krumlov. We returned from Cesky to Passau to meet back up with the boat. I said the road was winding from Linz to Passau and the trees were close to the road. If you are someone who does not have motion sickness, please be aware that some people like me do. My comments were meant to alert those who might have a problem. Also riding on a bus is quite different than being in a car.

• 1 month later...

Livvie and I are also on the Vantage August 30, 2015 cruise. We spend 5 months in Rhode Island and 7 in Florida.

We have been on several Vantage river cruises and loved them. I am now beginning to investigate off ship options on this cruise. Never been to Germany..