transatlantic cruise

Catherine Claus

My hubby and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary and would like to take a transatlantic cruise next April or May of 2015. I am concerned about the QM2 as the reveiws make it seem like old, stuffy cruisers. Would Princess be better with making port stops before arriving in South Hampton? Also, I always get seasick and must take Dramamine. We have been o 16 cruises mostly with Royal Carribean and Princess. Anyone that has taken the QM2 have any suggestions?

Even though we are 69 yrs old, we do not act, dress, or feel that old.

Any help, advice from those who have crossed the Atlantic will be appreciated.

After arriving in England, we will be spending 2 weeks in a villa in Italy.

Can't wait to hear from you all.

Catherine Claus and Santa

After arriving in England, we will be spending 2 weeks in a villa in Italy.

Well, here's the thing. While I love England, if you're staying in Italy after the TA cruise, why not look for a TA that ends in Italy? HAL and Celebrity should have crossings that end in Civitavecchia.

If you're going in the spring, check out various lines that are repositioning from Fla back to Europe and the Med. Many end in Italy, so it would be less traveling to get to the villa . Most sailings will be at least 10 days, probably longer but you most likely they will stop at a few European ports. IF you sail on the QM, it's a much shorter sail, you'd have to leave out of NY and there would be no port stops along the way. The repo cruises are usually quite reasonable and you most likely could do one for 12-14 days that would cost less then a 6/7 day sailing on QM. We've done both and prefer the repo sailings over QM England to NY.

Unless you are going to spend some tim in England before going to Italy, QM 2 makes no sense. It is a lovely, but rather formal classic way to cross the ocean - we did it once to New York in the fall, but a repositioning cruise ship will give you port calls and a more relaxing trip at a much more reasonable cost. There are many Spring sailings to Rome - usually from Florida ports - which you might want to consider.

The QM2 is a glorious ocean liner. It caters to a wide variety of personalities, it is an elegant, one of a kind vessel, with excellent service and delicious food. We have sailed QM2 on numerous occasions and have adored each voyage.

QM2 will be the quickest way to cross the pond from New York to Southampton. There are slightly longer 8-day crossings that finish in Hamburg, Germany.

If you want port stops then a repositioning cruise, as others have mentioned, is the best option. Holland America Line, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL do anywhere from 9 to 15 day Transatlantics with five or six stops in Europe along the way.

QM2 is the last of the formal ships, it is not stuffy at all, you would be very happy sailing aboard the classic ship.

Jonathan

My wife and I had taken nine transatlantic cruises in both Spring and Fall and we have loved all of them. One of those was similar to what you plan in 2010. We cruised on HAL from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam and took a combination plane and train to Florence where we spent two weeks at a villa between Florence and Pisa with some of our children and grandchildren. We think we get by fairly well as early 70 year elders.

We have done TAs on about a dozen different ships including the Queen Mary 2. What you need to understand about the Queen is that their crossings are very formal. When we did a 6 nighter, 3 of the evenings were Black Tie, 2 were semi-formal (men must wear jackets and ties), and only the last night was informal (men were supposed to wear jackets without ties). The age of the cruisers on the Queen is really no different then we have experienced on other lines (HAL, RCI, Celebrity, Princess).

My advice would be to heavily weigh the itinerary when you make your choice. But keep in mind you do have a lot of sea days, so you want to be on a ship where the activities meet your personal requirements.

One other related issue would be the weather. Most Queen Mary 2 crossings are from New York/Boston over to Southampton which means the ship takes a Northern Route (almost identical to the route used by the Titanic). In April/May this route will likely give you cool to chilly weather. Some of the other cruises (especially leaving from Florida ports) take a more Southern route. A crossing that stops at the Canary Islands will generally have the most southern route when compared to other crossings that might stop at the Azores. Although the more southern routes do not guarantee calmer seas, they will generally give you warmer cruising weather (at least for the first few days).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. Do you mind telling me where you stayed in Tuscany? That is what we want to do. Also the tips about taking a repositioning ship was great. We are now looking at Princess British Isles Passage. This sounds more like it to me. Hope my hubby agrees.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. Do you mind telling me where you stayed in Tuscany? That is what we want to do. Also the tips about taking a repositioning ship was great. We are now looking at Princess British Isles Passage. This sounds more like it to me. Hope my hubby agrees.

The little town of Greve in Chianti, halfway between Florence and Siena is ideally located - an easy drive to many hill towns, etc.: Lucca, Urbino, Montefioralle, San Gimigano ---

Thanks to all you cruisers regarding the QM2. Great advice. Now if anyone has stayed in the Amalfi Coast or Tuscany area at a Villa, your comments would be appreciated.

We have done apartments, and once stayed in a large apartment that was 1/4 of a Villa in Provence. France. But finding a true "Villa" in Tuscany or the Amalfi region is very difficult or impossible unless you are traveling with a group of folks. A villa for 2 (or even 4) is something we have been trying to find for about 20 years...with no success in either of those areas.

A good friend of ours once shared a Tuscan Villa with 14 other people and it came with a chef and staff. Money was no object (it was covered by a corporation) and he told us that the place was near perfect. But for about $40,000 a week it should have been perfect :).

Hank