Cruising and returning with illness . Is it worth it .

kenshaz

I do realize how scary it can be after you did get sick after going on a cruise and being so sick for such a long time. However, I believe the cruise industry in a whole are taking better precautions than they used to regarding the virus's out there. If cruising is something you enjoy doing, I think you should give it another try. At least that would help you to get over the fear of getting sick while on a cruise ship.

On a different note, it would really help if everyone would use precautions such as using the hand sanitizer or wash your hands prior to getting your food from the buffet. Just saying..I saw many people bypass the sanitizer but hopefully they washed their hands.

I have a wonderful niece who has two adorable rugrats who spend time in daycare. The bar-none worst illnesses I have had in the past year (a severe to the point of lasting 4 weeks upper respiratory infection and a norovirus like intestinal "flu") came directly after having contact with them after they'd had similar illnesses. Does not mean I am avoiding them in the future.

I've come back from a couple of cruises with a cold; I've noticed the same after my land based European vacations. For me, it's the flying, not the actual vacation. I now do everything in my power (nasal spray, airborne, zinc) when I fly to make it less likely to pick up a germ.

On my actual cruises, I do what I can to avoid unnecessary exposure. This includes avoiding the buffet (I won't eat at a NYC Deli buffet either). This is not a comment on Carnival, but at a buffet you are only as clean as the person who handled that spoon before you was. So I head to a venue where I will be handed my food by a server (like the deli). This minimizes (of course does not eliminate) risk.

I have also taken steps in the past couple of years to make sure *I* am as healthy as I can be, which includes losing a bit of weight and eating right, so that I give my body the best chance to fight off anything that comes my way.

I see zero benefit to staying holed up in my apartment watching the world go by.

There are risks in everything. I hate flying, but a pilot once told me that the most dangerous part of my travel day was the cab to the airport. So I take the risk, because the reward is greater.

Like others, have zero understanding of why the poster put this here. Wonder if they are a paid social media hack for a land based vacation. I suspect the Carnival board was chosen (rather than the P&O board, which is what i think the OP said they were on) because this board is "lively" and would get a a response. Pretty fruitless in any event.

So I will resume my now hour-by-hour countdown to my Panama Canal cruise this Sunday, where my primary health caution will be a bottle of mosquito spray.

You take your chances it's worth it, 4 cruises back my cabin stewardess was sick and missed a couple of days of cleaning my room, I asked the guy covering for her and he said she was not feeling well, I saw her a couple of days later she looked like death warmed over. The last night of the cruise I developed a sore throat and stopped up head and it just kept getting worse. Went to work Monday only to leave sick...went and saw Dr a couple of days later, i had developed a mild case of Pneumonia, so between my cruise and being sick I was out of work for 3 weeks. Am I scared of getting sick on a cruise nope. I had pneumonia when I was in Junior year of college but I did not quit college because of it. Life happens and you roll with the punches.

Whit the large numbers of people cruising every day. There is a small chance that a few may become ill.

After 20 cruises no one in our cabins has ever got sick while on the cruise.

I would be more concerned with the pirates of the Caribbean that getting sick.

No fear of anything . The particular cruise that I refer to ,we also contracted Norovirus . Which lasted a few days .

However the chest infection was very persistent and remained with me for a considerable amount of time on return. Very unpleasant with the potential for more serious conditions.

It is a fact that a ship is a place that multiples the odds considerably . Shown by the persistence of Norovirus on cruises .

In fact I cannot think of any other place that gives you weeks of enclosed conditions with so many people.

Touch wood . We are have no major medical conditions . But if you are vulnerable . The odds are increased "a fact"

.....and your point is.....??

OP.....if it's been several years (2009 and not even on a Carnival ship according to your signature), why are you waiting 5 years to post this? IF I got as sick as you did, I would have posted something right after it happened to share my experiences.

If cruising appears to be a hazard to your health, then maybe you should take "staycations" (stay at home during vacation) because you won't subject yourself to germs from people at the airport, hotels, resorts, etc. The person who rented the car before you may have had some illness. The person who stayed in the hotel room before you may have had some illness. The person next to you on the airplane may sneeze or cough.

If you don't think it's worth it to cruise, that's fine. However, I'll continue to take my chances and cruise.

Anyone with a brain is aware of the possiblity of getting sick when they are on a cruise ship. Just like we are aware we will possibly get sick by sending our child to daycare, going to the zoo, eating buffet food from an all inclusive in Mexico (HAPPENED), being on an airplane, etc. That's like pointing out, "hey guys, you might want to think twice about riding that bike, you COULD fall off..." It's common sense.

So I guess I'm not sure what you are asking. Anyone who is that worried about getting a bit sick should stay home from crowds. Germ-a-phobes should probably not go on a cruise. Yes you could definitely get sick. Personally having the chance of getting a stomach bug or something does not deter me at all from putting myself in "risky" germ situations... Getting sick is a part of life, especially now that I've got a 13 month old in daycare who brings every kind of SUPERBUG home. fun fun fun.:eek: I guess I just consider a possible illness is inevitable if you want to live.

Edited by jetta8300

hmmm... why should anyone post on the question asked 'Is it worth it?'.

The OP already answered the question in his/her mind.

stated in the original post.

To the OP - If you asked the question and already answered it... why post?

I was going to say the same thing. I was reading other peoples responses to your post and you always have a remark against going, so don't. Me personally I love cruises and you can get sick ANYWHERE, so it's worth it.

I work at a hospital on a long term nursing unit. Sometimes my patients are contagious. I don't see that as any more risky than taking a cruise. I don't choose to live my life thinking about the risk I'm taking of "catching something" because I would make myself crazy.

So when I go on vacation I do the same thing I do at work. I hit the hand sanitizer any time I can. I wash my hands before meals and after the bathroom. I've never gotten sick. Is that to say I never will? No, but it's not going to keep my from a vacation and enjoying myself. You can get sick anywhere anytime.

I usually come home from every cruise with a cold or sinus issues. I always take Airborne leading up to the cruise but without fail I always come home with a cold. I was just on the Carnival Pride and I am still fighting a little sinus cold.

But it is definitely not going to stop me from cruising :p :)

There is time yet. I would touch wood if I was you . Because believe me you are not totally immune .

WOW!!!!! I am really glad that I don't know you personally, you are far too negative a person for my liking! you are one person that got sick on a cruise ship, or so you claim, and that means that everyone else should worry about the same thing happening to them. Are you for real? When others post about their lack of illnesses in regard to cruising your reply is pretty much....... it will happen. Try to be a bit more positive, that may do your IMMUNE SYSTEM some good!

No fear of anything . The particular cruise that I refer to ,we also contracted Norovirus . Which lasted a few days .

However the chest infection was very persistent and remained with me for a considerable amount of time on return. Very unpleasant with the potential for more serious conditions.

It is a fact that a ship is a place that multiples the odds considerably . Shown by the persistence of Norovirus on cruises .

In fact I cannot think of any other place that gives you weeks of enclosed conditions with so many people.

Touch wood . We are have no major medical conditions . But if you are vulnerable . The odds are increased "a fact"

I recently read an article about the risk of contracting Norovirus. The odds of catching it while being on a cruise ship are far lower than those of getting it while visiting someone in the hospital, as well as myriad other places. We often have outbreaks of Norovirus where I live and work in Branson, Missouri. The fact is that 1 in 15 Americans will contract Norovirus this year. Last year the CDC reported 1,238 cases of Norovirus on cruise ships -- out of 21 MILLION cruise ship passengers! That .0059 percent.

are you looking for the .0001% of people that might have experience the same thing as you?

Bottom line.. If you dont feel its worth it, then no one who has cruised will change your mind. I assume you have had other vacations that you enjoyed that you didnt get sick.

or are you just posting so you can tell people how bad it is to cruise? (On a cruise forum no less)

I was wondering the same things. People who post/read this board love to cruise, or are about to cruise. Your self-answering posted question was truly pointless.

We have not cruised for a couple of years . Why? You might ask .

On returning from our last cruise I came back infected with a severe chest infection . Which persisted for about four month's .

We paid thousands of pounds to fall ill . Large numbers of people herded together increases the odds that you will catch something.

It is not worth it. There is no way to protect yourself .

No -one is suggesting that you avoid all contact with fellow human beings . But it is about odds and exposure .

why come on a forum about cruising and ask if going on a cruise is worth it? sorry to hear about your illness but what do you really expect people to say?