12 years old becomes an adult how come

hayleyfever

Hi all

Slightly miffed since coming back from our cruise aboard the epic. We had such a great time and wanted to book again but why do you have to pay for a child that it currently 11 and next year will be just 12 but they have to pay the same price as an adult....

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

Hi all

Slightly miffed since coming back from our cruise aboard the epic. We had such a great time and wanted to book again but why do you have to pay for a child that it currently 11 and next year will be just 12 but they have to pay the same price as an adult....

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

What is he being charged an adult for?

Because the child is a year older and NCL has decided adult prices start at 12.

You are going to find out that many child prices in movies, restaurants, tourist attractions, amusement parks, etc. also stop somewhere between the ages of 10-13 depending on the business.

Hi all

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

Well...

First, why shouldn't they have to pay the same?

Second, "How is that" what? Gonna need the rest of that question.

Lastly...don't let your "miffed" destroy your "such a great time". You'll gain nothing.

Because the child is a year older and NCL has decided adult prices start at 12.

You are going to find out that many child prices in movies, restaurants, tourist attractions, amusement parks, etc. also stop somewhere between the ages of 10-13 depending on the business.

This. (At Disney's Magic Kingdom for example those 10 and older pay the same price.)

I agree with the other poster. Those of us who have kids discover that kids get more and more expensive as they get older for everything. Disney World charges ages 10 and up as an adult.

This. (At Disney's Magic Kingdom for example those 10 and older pay the same price.)

We posted at the same time:D.

Maybe at Disney the adults should get a discount and the kids fare is more.

Edited by bplazo

I think everyone should pay the same price regardless of the age. Why should you get a discount just because you have a child?

Why does it bother you if someone does get a discount because they have a child? Offering a discount for children is an obvious way to attract families to your business (and once the little ones are inside you have all kinds of froo froo junk for sale that they will pester mom and dad to buy at an enormouse mark up, thereby offsetting any discount by ten fold;)). (Edit- enourmouse was actually a typo, but it fits so I'll leave it :).)

Edited by sparks1093

It would be helpful if the OP explained what they mean.

I think the only "Kids Price" on Norwegian is in specialty dining and then isn't it only if they eat off the Children's Menu?

There is no discount for the cruise fare for kids. The "Kids Sail Free" is for any 3rd, 4th, etc person in the cabin regardless of age.

be miffed ... when exactly did you expect to start paying adult fare.. ? There is no such thing as teenage fare.. Your airlines start at 12, 90% of adult fares be it movies, excursions whatever start at the age 12. It is this side of the world that the 12 yr age adult thing starts. Not sure what it is like in the England but if you want to play on this side of the world it is the way it works here, when we are on your side we follow you rules. The kid is growing up and growing up fast

Hi all

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

Hi

I think you will find that a lot of previous posters are coming at this from a North American view point

When booking in the UK quoting for a cruise the child input age goes upto 11.

The child price and the 3rd person price are the same

In the US they have an average price per person

On the EU site the child age input goes up to 17

The three different sites have their own way of doing things and calculating the cost

There is a £40 difference between booking inside to a balcony for the child/third person rate

The other thing I have noticed that the final price in the UK now includes the "DSC" and if you would prefer to pay that onboard you must phone to ask NCL to remove it when you book

The EU and US sites do not automatically include the "DSC"

I hope this helps

Damon

<quote>The child price and the 3rd person price are the same.</quote>

There is no child price. If there is only an adult and a child travelling then the child is the same price as the adult. 3rd person rate is only when there are more than 2 people in a cabin.

My family of five is sailing in two connecting cabins. We're paying the same fare for my 10.5 and 8 year olds as we are for my husband and me. Only my six year old is being charged a reduced fare, and that is only because he is the third person in one of the rooms.

I just figured that is how it works. The prices are always "double occupancy", so my kids now each become the second people in those cabins.

Do other cruise lines do it differently?

Edited by lolavix

be miffed ... when exactly did you expect to start paying adult fare.. ? There is no such thing as teenage fare.. Your airlines start at 12, 90% of adult fares be it movies, excursions whatever start at the age 12. It is this side of the world that the 12 yr age adult thing starts. Not sure what it is like in the England but if you want to play on this side of the world it is the way it works here, when we are on your side we follow you rules. The kid is growing up and growing up fast

Take it easy!

Hi all

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

Depending on the popularity of an itinerary there may not be any discount even for children for under 12. The line also has to offer daytime activities more appropriate for teens. And, they can consume tons food. It's also no cheaper for the cruise line to supply bedding. Somebody has to change the linen even if they sleep on a sofa bed. In summary, it costs the cruise line just as much to provide service to your 12-year old as it does for an adult.

<quote>The child price and the 3rd person price are the same.</quote>

There is no child price. If there is only an adult and a child travelling then the child is the same price as the adult. 3rd person rate is only when there are more than 2 people in a cabin.

Sorry I made the assumption that the child was the 3rd person

Still your statement is not always correct

On the EU site last year I booked 1 adult and 2 children into a balcony and 1 adult and 1 child into an inside

Each adult paid the normal rate + full taxes and each second child paid 1/2 the adult price + full taxes and the 3rd child payed the the 3rd person rate + taxes

When I put in 3 adults one and two where normal price and there was a 3rd person rate

This was done on the Epic last year and a few of the winter Spirit sailings but no other ships and only from Barcelona. I think this was done to encourage Spanish customers to book. This was never advertised as a special or residents rate and I only realized my self when I went onto the final page to book the cruise and the price suddenly dropped.

I phoned the EU number, which put me through to offices in the UK, because I thought it was a glitch with the website. They confirmed the final quote was correct.

I haven't checked to see if they have done something similar this year

Damon

Befoe the Disney distraction takes us too far off-topic, we should remember that with the exception of some shore excursions and specialty restaurant charges, Norwegian DOES NOT HAVE ANY "children's pricing"

Nor should they, beyond the quantity cabin discounts (3rd and 4th passenger discounts that apply to any 3rd and 4th passenger).

Having walked past some of those "family" cabins, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile for cruiselines to charge MORE to cover the hazmat duty in cleaning up after them.