shoes for the guys?

websiteauthor

What do guys typically wear for shoes while on the ship? I've seen some posts where people talk about decks being slippery for normal shoes but my wife thinks this isn't an issue . . .

I'm not a big fan of the water shoes because the bottoms are typically very thin so you feel any rocks or gravel you walk over. I plan to pick up some crocs for excursions and walking around the pool / hot tub.

Just trying to figure out what to wear while wandering the ship or in the MDR.

If you plan to do formal night in the MDR, you would likely want a pair of dress shoes.

After that it all depends on the itinerary. Our last cruise was a port intensive Caribbean itinerary and I just about lived in these: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1764471/pacific-trail-chaski-outdoor-sandals-men.jsp

Deck shoes and/or comfortable walkers depending on the cruise line.

Enjoy!

If you plan to do formal night in the MDR, you would likely want a pair of dress shoes.

After that it all depends on the itinerary. Our last cruise was a port intensive Caribbean itinerary and I just about lived in these: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1764471/pacific-trail-chaski-outdoor-sandals-men.jsp

Deck shoes and/or comfortable walkers depending on the cruise line.

Enjoy!

Those do look comfortable . . . so you would wear those to the MDR on non-formal nights? Do you find that slickness is an issue while walking around the ship?

I'm going on RCI 7-day cruise to Cozymel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, to clarify . . .

Proper shoes in the dining room.

On deck and out and about - whatever is comfortable: leather sandals, converse type gym shoes, "boat shoe" moccasins, trainers.

If wearing socks with any of these, please make them the invisible type.

Those do look comfortable . . . so you would wear those to the MDR on non-formal nights? Do you find that slickness is an issue while walking around the ship?

I'm going on RCI 7-day cruise to Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, to clarify . . .

The operative words "just about lived in them" did not extend to the MDR. We do formal nights so the feather weight dress loafers were worn every night and taken off immediately after dinner.

Can't say I have ever encountered "slickness" aboard ship. Areas that you would expect to be wet have wooden decking. Most of the interior spaces have carpet.

From what everyone is saying, traction while walking around the ship is a relative non-issue.

It is a non-issue. As a rule of thumb, cruise ships don't want their customers falling over and hurting themselves, so they don't so slippery decks. The exception will be if you travel on a ship with traditional wooden (usually teak) decks, and in that case they will get slippery when wet - but only to the extent that if you try a football move, you'll fall over. Walking is no problem, running on the stairs might be.

Whatever shoes you wear at home, outdoor or indoor, will do.

My husband easily sailed through our first cruise with three pair of shoes: sneakers, dress shoes and flip flops. I also took sneakers, dress shoes and flip flops and a pair of flat sandals. Wore them all at different times and neither of us had any issues at all with slippery-ness. Wore the flip flops at CocoCay and Nassau; no water shoes necessary.