All Things Vantage

FuelScience

I think Delta may be part of the Star Alliance and if so, they may be able to do more for you once you get to Boston. They may have other Alliance members that can pick up some of the slack. If nothing else, at least you will have more options and Vantage is based in Boston so make sure you take their phone numbers with you. I'll be praying to the travel Gods tonight for you and everyone caught up in this. I've seen some posts from people booked on Viking's France who are in the same predicament as you are. Good luck, and let us know when you get there. :)

PS: I don't know how you feel about this, but if you get to the airport tomorrow and Delta will fly you to Boston, I think I would go. You might have more clout if you're in Boston as opposed to your home airport. If nothing else, you'll have more options.

Well I sure hope BobPatJ make it. At least it seems they are really keeping their cool. We booked our own air with Lufthansa for our Vantage cruise in December but had planned on using Vantage Air for a booked cruise next year. After this episode we are really having second thoughts. Hope this is not typical of Vantage service.

Well I sure hope BobPatJ make it. At least it seems they are really keeping their cool. We booked our own air with Lufthansa for our Vantage cruise in December but had planned on using Vantage Air for a booked cruise next year. After this episode we are really having second thoughts. Hope this is not typical of Vantage service.

JC: Yeah, it is disturbing. I've always booked air with Vantage because generally they beat the best price I can get from Lufthansa (my favorite airline)...and the only time I had problems with air were when we were going to Brussels and the volcano in Iceland had other plans and when we were coming home from Russia and the Lufthansa flight attendants went on strike.....both times it was Lufthansa that dealt with the problem and not Vantage. But I always thought if vantage booked it, vantage would help with any problems that arose. It is very disconcerting to think that they take your money, book your flight and then wash their hands of you.....and I've traveled with them 6 times and have 2 more booked and I'm not feeling the love right now. How do other companies handle flight emergencies that are not the fault of the customer?

Well I haven't seen Bobpatj on today so here's hoping they're on their way to Paris!

Hello!

Yes, we made it to Paris! All went well with our three flights. It was always a worry that the Air France flight could be cancelled, but it was the only Air France to Paris that flew last night. Two following ours were cancelled. Our transatlantic flight was on a huge older plane. Older, because had ashtrays! I wonder if it was put into service just because of the number of people who had been on cancelled flights. So, we made it for the welcome dinner, which we just finished, and are going on our all day excursion tomorrow. A large group sailing on Viking is staying here, too.

Don't be so hard on Vantage! We had no problem asking them for information about our cancelled flights and what to do. They have very nice people working in that department. Their answer was to deal with the airline (Delta) ourselves, which probably worked as well as waiting for Vantage to get back to us. What Vantage needed to know was what changes would be made in our schedule. We were met at the airport and had our Vantage transportation to the hotel. Had we come in a day or two later, we would have needed a taxi. You don't work with a travel agent at Vantage, so this is how these things are taken care of, evidently. Let's hope the strike is over so that the people coming for the cruise on Tuesday will have no problems getting there.

Hello!

Yes, we made it to Paris! All went well with our three flights. It was always a worry that the Air France flight could be cancelled, but it was the only Air France to Paris that flew last night. Two following ours were cancelled. Our transatlantic flight was on a huge older plane. Older, because had ashtrays! I wonder if it was put into service just because of the number of people who had been on cancelled flights. So, we made it for the welcome dinner, which we just finished, and are going on our all day excursion tomorrow. A large group sailing on Viking is staying here, too.

Don't be so hard on Vantage! We had no problem asking them for information about our cancelled flights and what to do. They have very nice people working in that department. Their answer was to deal with the airline (Delta) ourselves, which probably worked as well as waiting for Vantage to get back to us. What Vantage needed to know was what changes would be made in our schedule. We were met at the airport and had our Vantage transportation to the hotel. Had we come in a day or two later, we would have needed a taxi. You don't work with a travel agent at Vantage, so this is how these things are taken care of, evidently. Let's hope the strike is over so that the people coming for the cruise on Tuesday will have no problems getting there.

Made my day!! Happy feet and I don't even know you!:D

Glad you're not mad at Vantage, I will forgive and they're still my favorite company, but like you, I kind of expected more in the help department. I can see why you would be better off dealing with Delta (my least favorite airline btw) since you can answer questions in real time. So glad it worked out for you.....love the ashtrays on the plane!

NOW GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY PARIS!!!! :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on Vantage's Grand European river cruise for may, 2015. Would love to hear from We're Sailing Away about your trip. Please email me: trishnotes@gmail.com. Thanks

Hi . It was one of our best trips I type with 2 fingers Give me a call if you wish 904 219 9880 any time you want Marty

Does any one know what time the first bus leaves Tarascon at the end of the cruise back to the airport ??

Usually Vantage will post your departure times 24 hours before disembarkation and time of departure will depend on the time of your flight. They will ask you about mid-trip for confirmation of your flight number, etc. and this is so they can confirm your flight for you and arrange transport to the airport. Be prepared! If you have an early morning flight, you could be leaving the ship at 3 or 4 a.m. with a boxed breakfast! (which will be pretty good if you can eat at that hour :D) You'll be transported either by bus or taxi depending on how many of you are going and they will take care of your luggage until you arrive at the airport. Of course, if you haven't taken Vantage transfer (included if you purchased air from them) then you will be on your own to hire a taxi and Vantage will tell you what time you have to be off the ship or out of your room.

Usually Vantage will post your departure times 24 hours before disembarkation and time of departure will depend on the time of your flight. They will ask you about mid-trip for confirmation of your flight number, etc. and this is so they can confirm your flight for you and arrange transport to the airport. Be prepared! If you have an early morning flight, you could be leaving the ship at 3 or 4 a.m. with a boxed breakfast! (which will be pretty good if you can eat at that hour :D) You'll be transported either by bus or taxi depending on how many of you are going and they will take care of your luggage until you arrive at the airport. Of course, if you haven't taken Vantage transfer (included if you purchased air from them) then you will be on your own to hire a taxi and Vantage will tell you what time you have to be off the ship or out of your room.

Was this don in Tarascon?? thanks

Was this don in Tarascon?? thanks

If you are asking if Vantage has scheduled bus service from Marseilles to Tarascon and you pick your departure, the answer is no. If you are concerned about leaving in the middle of the night, it all hinges on your departure flight and whether or not you have to fly someplace else before you fly home. If you fly from Tarascon to Paris and then to J'ville, you can assume that you will probably have an early a.m. flight. If you're flying non-stop from Tarascon to say Tampa or Atlanta, you might have a later departure. I haven't done French Waterways, having done France as a land tour, however, I have done 4 European river cruises with Vantage and that is what they have done on each of them. The only time they transported everyone at one time was Costa Rica (because we were a very small group and had to return to San Jose) and Egypt (because we were all on the same Egyptair flight to NY). It's quite efficient and virtually painless, except for the 3 a.m. part, and that depends on what time your flight is, how many are flying around that time and how long the drive is to the airport. You will receive all of that information on the next to last night you're on board and the TM's will discuss it in length at your port talk. If you've purchased Vantage air, and I am assuming that you have, Vantage will ask for your return trip airline, flight # and destination city.... usually around the middle of the trip. They will confirm your reservation and then you will be assigned a departure time and method as I said above. Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll do everything I can to help you. I can say that Vantage has a very efficient system for transport and I have never heard of any screw ups from people using it and if you are really unhappy with your departure time talk to the TM and see if it can be changed.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We have not done a river cruise before but have been on many ocean cruises. We have had ocean view and balcony and are considering the lower deck this time without the French doors as you can't sit on these balconies. Want to save money for possible tour before cruise on our own. What are the public areas on the river boats like for viewing the scenery and relaxing? Has anyone been in these cabins? From the web site it looks like most have high windows, wondering if you can see out, our is just for daylight?

Not certain which cruise we will do, just in the planning phase

Linda