All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Thanks again to those who responded to my post about my folks' trip leaving April 3rd, and Versailles being canceled.

Turns out my dad had to go into the hospital for another procedure, and my mom is having some issues too, so they've been rebooked for the June 22nd cruise, which is Marseilles to Paris (and then Normandy, and back to Paris). Versailles is on the schedule - a Sunday, the day before they fly back to the US. I told Mom to rest up and wear comfortable shoes!

Thanks again to those who responded to my post about my folks' trip leaving April 3rd, and Versailles being canceled.

Turns out my dad had to go into the hospital for another procedure, and my mom is having some issues too, so they've been rebooked for the June 22nd cruise, which is Marseilles to Paris (and then Normandy, and back to Paris). Versailles is on the schedule - a Sunday, the day before they fly back to the US. I told Mom to rest up and wear comfortable shoes!

Hope all goes well with your Mom and Dad.....it's always better if "stuff" has to happen that it happens BEFORE we leave the Country and not after! Paris will be even more beautiful in June and she'll get to see Versailles in all it's flowered splendor. Comfortable shoes are a must, although there are lots of places to sit down in the gardens.

Best wishes to your parents for full and fast recoveries. Tell them not to overdo on the cruise ... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how Vantage handles embarkation for people doing their own transfers. We're flying into Amsterdam a few days early for a cruise, and will need to get to the ship on our own.

I've heard of some lines where people assemble at a hotel to be transported in masse, and others where you just make it to the ship on your own.

So does anyone know how Vantage handles this?

Thanks,

FuelScience

P.S. I've sent a similar email to Vantage. We'll see if they're quicker than CC!!

Does anyone know how Vantage handles embarkation for people doing their own transfers. We're flying into Amsterdam a few days early for a cruise, and will need to get to the ship on our own.

I've heard of some lines where people assemble at a hotel to be transported in masse, and others where you just make it to the ship on your own.

So does anyone know how Vantage handles this?

Thanks,

FuelScience

P.S. I've sent a similar email to Vantage. We'll see if they're quicker than CC!!

Don't sit watching the clock, my primary complaint with Vantage is the slowness of their response time! (everything else makes up for it, though) As far as I know you're on your own UNLESS you purchase transfers from Vantage which run about $100. I'm doing my own arrangements for my next Vantage trip because it departs from Vancouver and Air Canada was cheaper than Vantage air. Since there are 4 of us, we hired a limo to pick us up and bring us to the hotel. Fortunately Amsterdam is not terribly far from down town and there should be taxis all over. If I were doing this, I would go on line and find a few companies that provide airport/hotel transportation and check out their prices, reservation and cancellation policies and reviews. Armed with that information you can decide whether it's worth it or not to buy transfers from Vantage.

Thanks for the note. I went ahead and gave Vantage a call, and we will get to the ship on our own and can board any time after noon. I've already decided not to use Vantage for transfers. There will be six of us traveling together, and our hotel will arrange a van to get us from the airport to the hotel for just under € 50. I suspect that we'll see how close the ship is to the Central Station before deciding whether to take the subway and walk or just get a cab from the hotel.

FuelScience

We are considering a 2016 river cruise on Vantage. Could someone please tell us if there are self-service coffee machines onboard where we can get an espresso-based coffee like an americano or cappuccino at any time? We are looking at a Rhine/Moselle cruise I and I believe that the ship will be the River Splendor. Thanks.

We are considering a 2016 river cruise on Vantage. Could someone please tell us if there are self-service coffee machines onboard where we can get an espresso-based coffee like an americano or cappuccino at any time? We are looking at a Rhine/Moselle cruise I and I believe that the ship will be the River Splendor. Thanks.

I know they have self-service coffee machines in the lounge and I know they serve coffee, all kinds of teas and wonderful hot chocolate. I don't drink espresso or cappucino so I don't really know. BUT I'm going on this trip at the end of August and I will make it a point to notice and report back to you. In the meantime, check their website for info on the new ships and failing to find the information you want, e-mail them. :D

DH, who is a coffee and cappuccino lover, says YES to your question. River Venture for sure has the self-service machine that dispenses coffee, espresso, cappuccino, hot chocolate and hot water for tea. Cups and creamer/sugar are right there beside the machine. It's available 24/7.

And River Splendor & River Venture both entered service in 2013, so the amenities should be equal.

If it IS River Splendor you'll be on and you don't have an official answer by November, let me know because we'll be on her.

Hydrokitty and cp556 -- Thank you so much for the information. Not having a daily espresso (or several) would be a real deal-breaker for us.:)

We are trying to decide between the Vantage and Tauck offerings. We love to travel with Tauck, but of course they are considerably more expensive than just about everybody. And perhaps the extra cost in this case is not justifiable if Vantage lives up to its excellent reputation.

There is one problem that I'm really having trouble with: the Vantage website says that their Rhine and Moselle cruise in 2016 starts/ends in Arnhem and avoids Amsterdam completely. They don't even offer a pre/post optional tour of Amsterdam, which seems odd to me. I suppose we could make independent arrangements for a short stay in Amsterdam, pre- or post-cruise, but doing so does shrink the price difference with Tauck.

Again, thanks for the coffee information. I could not find anything about it on the Vantage website. I knew the good people on CC would have the answer!:)

Hydrokitty and cp556 -- Thank you so much for the information. Not having a daily espresso (or several) would be a real deal-breaker for us.:)

We are trying to decide between the Vantage and Tauck offerings. We love to travel with Tauck, but of course they are considerably more expensive than just about everybody. And perhaps the extra cost in this case is not justifiable if Vantage lives up to its excellent reputation.

There is one problem that I'm really having trouble with: the Vantage website says that their Rhine and Moselle cruise in 2016 starts/ends in Arnhem and avoids Amsterdam completely. They don't even offer a pre/post optional tour of Amsterdam, which seems odd to me. I suppose we could make independent arrangements for a short stay in Amsterdam, pre- or post-cruise, but doing so does shrink the price difference with Tauck.

Again, thanks for the coffee information. I could not find anything about it on the Vantage website. I knew the good people on CC would have the answer!:)

Interesting about the change in itinerary. We're going in August of this year and starting in Amsterdam and ending in Basel. we've been to Amsterdam before so I really didn't pay attention to that portion of the trip. THIS time I'm going to the Rijks Museum. I've been to the others and after watching Amazing Race tonight, I'm even more excited to go, except the ice skating rink (how did 2 lawyers miss that) will be gone.

Like Hydrokitty, I'm surprised with the Arnhem start for 2016. Also, like you, I can't understand how Vantage decides on options for pre- and post-cruise extensions. We're sailing from Amsterdam in late August and would have loved to have had the option to do a pre-cruise in Amsterdam, but the only choice was Brugges! Strangely, if you do the Grand European, which leaves from Bonn, you can do a pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam!

I also notice the 2016 itinerary skips Cologne and does Koblenz on day 4 instead. After that the descriptions for 2015 and 2016 appear to be identical. I would consider going into Amsterdam early and doing your own air and hotel arrangements. I checked on the Dutch rail site, and it's a 1:05 hour train trip from Amsterdam Central to Arnhem with no changes (cost is €16.20). The train station is about a 5-10 minute walk from the river where the ship will be docked.

In any event, if you go through Arnhem, I strongly recommend skipping one of the tours and going on your own to the Open Air Museum. It's one of the top attractions in Holland, and it's about a 20 minute tram ride from the train station. We found our fellow streetcar riders more than willing to help us find our way! We did this last year on Vikings Tulips and Windmills and loved walking through all the old reconstructed buildings. We got to see a working paper mill and see a lady making fishing nets as well as seeing lots of windmills, farm buildings and other sites.

Finally, one factor that swayed us into sailing with Vantage was the 10% discount we got for paying in full a year before we cruised.

FuelScience

Dutch train info

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Open Air Museum Arnhem

http://www.openairmuseum.nl/ __________________

FuelScience - Thank you for your insights and tips. We have never been to Amsterdam before (except to change planes) and I can't imagine not spending some time there before the cruise. Very interesting information on the Open Air Museum. It sounds like a place we would greatly enjoy visiting. I really appreciate your making the effort to check train schedules and to post the websites. :)

Briny,

No problem. I will be doing the Vantage Rhine & Moselle at the end of July, and Hydrokitty will be doing the same cruise about a month behind me--both on the River Navigator. I will try to post from the boat and give more detail after we're back home. I'll also review the hotel we'll use in Amsterdam.

FuelScience

We were just in Amsterdam for 5 days before our river cruise. I called the phone number in the Vantage paperwork they sent me the morning of our cruise. They told me which dock they were at (there are 2 different docking areas). It happened to be in front of the Doubletree Hotel by Central Station so we just walked to it...about 2 blocks. We got on-board Round 10:30 am and drank coffee in the lounge until our room was ready.

Rorygirl,

Just saw your review. Thanks for the great description. I do have a quick question. In your review, you said, " The food at lunch and dinner was excellent. Wine was included at no extra charge." Was the wine free at both lunch AND dinner, or just at dinner?

Thanks,

FuelScience

Rorygirl,

Just saw your review. Thanks for the great description. I do have a quick question. In your review, you said, " The food at lunch and dinner was excellent. Wine was included at no extra charge." Was the wine free at both lunch AND dinner, or just at dinner?

Thanks,

FuelScience

Hi FuelScience....wine will be free at dinner only. It will be available for purchase at lunch. we usually buy a bottle the first night, one red and one white, and then we drink it every night and during cocktail hour if we want it.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Has anyone else noticed the Vantage Give Away notice at the top of the page? I found this surprising! :confused:

I noticed it the first day and have been entering every day.....then I read the rules and stopped entering! If you win you have to book the cruise by end of Sept. and complete travel by end of November, 2015. No way I can do that. But good luck. It only takes a few seconds and if you can make the dates, a free cruise is always good!!

Sorry about this as the answers are probably in one or other of the previous 200+ posts.

We've never river cruised and are looking at out first in Europe. We have over 250 sea days mostly on Seabourn and to a lesser extent Silversea and are used to the fully all inclusive deal which includes tipping and drinks. I understand the drinks situation re free wine at dinner only but as a line aimed at American travellers (so their website says) can I assume that I'll have to get involved in tipping which is not an Australian sport to anywhere near the extent it is over there. What kind of add-on could I expect if I booked Vantage

Secondly, I don't mind paying at the bar but is there a carry on policy where I can bring wine I've bought locally on board to drink at dinner or in my suite ?? What about spirits for the occasional pre-dinner G&T while we get ready for dinner ?

Sorry about this as the answers are probably in one or other of the previous 200+ posts.

We've never river cruised and are looking at out first in Europe. We have over 250 sea days mostly on Seabourn and to a lesser extent Silversea and are used to the fully all inclusive deal which includes tipping and drinks. I understand the drinks situation re free wine at dinner only but as a line aimed at American travellers (so their website says) can I assume that I'll have to get involved in tipping which is not an Australian sport to anywhere near the extent it is over there. What kind of add-on could I expect if I booked Vantage

Secondly, I don't mind paying at the bar but is there a carry on policy where I can bring wine I've bought locally on board to drink at dinner or in my suite ?? What about spirits for the occasional pre-dinner G&T while we get ready for dinner ?

You can bring on wine to drink in your cabin, but I would imagine they might charge a corkage fee if you bring the bottle to dinner. Pre-dinner drinks are charged to your account, as are sodas for lunch or any alcohol you might want to have at lunch. You might want to compare the cost of a Vantage cruise with all of the additional charges (gratuities, etc) and Uniworld which is all inclusive and Avalon which does not charge for lunch drinks in additional to dinner. The only drinks at lunch which are at no charge on Vantage is tea and coffee. :(