All Things Vantage

FuelScience

We have not done a river cruise before but have been on many ocean cruises. We have had ocean view and balcony and are considering the lower deck this time without the French doors as you can't sit on these balconies. Want to save money for possible tour before cruise on our own. What are the public areas on the river boats like for viewing the scenery and relaxing? Has anyone been in these cabins? From the web site it looks like most have high windows, wondering if you can see out, our is just for daylight?

Not certain which cruise we will do, just in the planning phase

Linda

The top deck is the best place for viewing the scenery in good weather. The lounge (at the front of the boat) is good for viewing scenery in bad weather. But public places by (my) definition are not good for relaxing. Lying on the bed watching the scenery go by through the giant French balcony glass is priceless!

The top deck is the best place for viewing the scenery in good weather. The lounge (at the front of the boat) is good for viewing scenery in bad weather. But public places by (my) definition are not good for relaxing. Lying on the bed watching the scenery go by through the giant French balcony glass is priceless!
!

My sentiments exactly! The public areas are fine for viewing scenery and for socializing before and after dinner, but because I tend to be claustrophobic, I would never NOT have a balcony, even one I can't stand on! Just being able to open the doors and get fresh air is worth it......and an added bonus.....if you get caught in your cabin and see a spectacular shot outside, you just open your door and shoot!:D It's also fun (to me anyway) when we're rafted with another ship to be able to open the door and socialize with the person opposite my cabin on another boat.....I've had some really great conversations over shared tea and cookies on the Nile and on the Danube.

I was on the lower level on Vantage's Tulips and Windmills 4 years ago and was perfectly happy. It was sort of neat to wake up, peak out the window and see the water level just below the window. I could see everything everyone above me could see just at a different angle. The Lounge had windows on three sides with comfortable seating along the windows and in the middle. You can also go up to the top deck as there is seating there. When we went two years ago to the Christmas markets along the Rhine, again on Vantage, they had a covered area that you could sit in(no heat) but out of the wind and you could see everything there. They also had a small library with floor to ceiling windows with maybe 4 to 6 comfy chairs that you could also sit in and view the scenery. I would'nt hesitate to book a lower level again. Also, I didn't notice any engine noises as I've heard on these threads on different cruise companies.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked an Irrawaddy River Cruise for December 4, 2014.

Brand new ship!!

Any Vantage cruisers done this itinerary?

Keeping our fingers crossed now that we are put on good flights with few connections.

I have never booked a trip with such little planning time....maybe that will be good!!!

It was all the good things that you all had to say about Vantage that gave me the confidence to jump at this offer...thanks CC!!!!

I was on the lower level on Vantage's Tulips and Windmills 4 years ago and was perfectly happy. It was sort of neat to wake up, peak out the window and see the water level just below the window. I could see everything everyone above me could see just at a different angle. The Lounge had windows on three sides with comfortable seating along the windows and in the middle. You can also go up to the top deck as there is seating there. When we went two years ago to the Christmas markets along the Rhine, again on Vantage, they had a covered area that you could sit in(no heat) but out of the wind and you could see everything there. They also had a small library with floor to ceiling windows with maybe 4 to 6 comfy chairs that you could also sit in and view the scenery. I would'nt hesitate to book a lower level again. Also, I didn't notice any engine noises as I've heard on these threads on different cruise companies.

Thank you for all the information.

Bev and I (Denny) have been on several cruises but, this is our first river cruise.

We will be on the Majestic Rivers of Europe cruise on 11-3-14. I have been checking C.C. for any information on the ports we stop at.

Haven't found anyone else on the boards going on this date.

Hoping for good weather.

Bev and I (Denny) have been on several cruises but, this is our first river cruise.

We will be on the Majestic Rivers of Europe cruise on 11-3-14. I have been checking C.C. for any information on the ports we stop at.

Haven't found anyone else on the boards going on this date.

Hoping for good weather.

Fuelscience:

We changed our above trip to 8-30-15. Got a call from Vantage saying they

were overbooked and offered us an upgrade for the change.

Would you make the change on the roll call.

Anyone else going on 8-30-15?

Thanks Denny

Fuelscience:

Thanks Denny

Regardless of whether or not you're happy with the upgrade, you are going to be SO happy you changed the date from November to late August!!!! Click on the "river cruise ports" you might find individual port info there.

... My husband wants to wait a few years before taking another River Cruise. We are now in our early 70's no health issues very active and enjoying our retirement. I would like to book another cruise for 2015 my philosophy postpone nothing! I have been reading about Vantage and looking at the Douro Portugual cruise. What month is the best summer can be very hot. What about October? We would like to do the optional precruise to Mederia. How far ahead do you have to book? I need some advice from anyone that has done this itinerary. Hopefully it's less expensive than Uniworld. Thanks..

Northern Portugal is not as hot in the summer, at least when I was there (it was late June.) Lisbon, yes, it was muggy and uncomfortable. Have a look at stats at Wunderground.com--average highs in the 70's in August in Porto, maybe it's hotter inland in wine country, of course.

I agree with the "carpe diem" principle--do it now! I'm considering this itinerary, since we've been the Portugal twice and love it, especially Porto.

But why would I do Vantage? What *don't* you get that you do get on, say, AMA, Uniworld or Avalon? Optional tours? Booze, obviously. What else?

Oh, and while I'm at it, how does Vantage compare to Grand Circle? I know they're run by brothers, or were, and there have been rivalries, and V. is considered more upscale (and I see that GC doesn't do the Douro.)

Fuelscience:

Thanks Denny

I made the change on the roll call thread. Looks like there are three of you so far.

FuelScience

Hi Clark:

our documents came by regular mail and usually 3 weeks before departure. BUT if I were you, I would call Vantage and tell them of your concern. I'm sure they've dealt with this problem before and they might mail them to you by alternate method and if you don't have them by 11/15 I would call and tell them.

Hi Clark:

our documents came by regular mail and usually 3 weeks before departure. BUT if I were you, I would call Vantage and tell them of your concern. I'm sure they've dealt with this problem before and they might mail them to you by alternate method and if you don't have them by 11/15 I would call and tell them.

O.K., thanks

One other question please. The address in Budapest where the ship docks should be in those documents. Correct?

Good question. I don't know, but I am inclined to doubt it because the dock space isn't reserved, it's assigned upon arrival and it's not up to Vantage, it's up to the Harbor Master. Again, I suggest you ask Vantage when you call to tell them about your mail problem. I can tell you that the river boats all seem to be in the same general area so perhaps a taxi driver would know where Navigator is....or maybe the concierge at your hotel could find out exactly where it will be docked for boarding. I know the ship docks at one place to unload and load passengers where it's easier for the buses to get closer to the gangway, but then it moves right after dinner to another dock where it will spend the night.

Make sure you're up on the sun deck when it moves because they time it so you're on the river when the lights come on and it's spectacular! and you don't have to pay for a boat ride on the Danube to see Budapest at night, you'll be getting that for free!

Edited by Hydrokitty

My husband and I have never been on a river cruise, but we have done several ocean cruises. We are considering Viking's A Seine River Cruise: Paris & Highlights of Normandy. I like the itinerary because it is longer than the Viking itinerary that my travel agent had suggested. I am not against Viking or Uniworld - I ruled out AMA because I did not like the ship.

I have (3) questions for the members here - has Vantage ever docked at Honfleur? I read reviews online indicating that they docked at Le Havre instead? Is September a good month to go? I asked the Vantage rep and he said anytime is a good time to go.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can you recommend it?

My husband has never been to Europe, while I actually lived there. We are looking to sail in 2015, and the only criteria I have is that I would NOT go during the height of the summer because of crowds.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Diane

My husband and I have never been on a river cruise, but we have done several ocean cruises. We are considering Viking's A Seine River Cruise: Paris & Highlights of Normandy. I like the itinerary because it is longer than the Viking itinerary that my travel agent had suggested. I am not against Viking or Uniworld - I ruled out AMA because I did not like the ship.

I have (3) questions for the members here - has Vantage ever docked at Honfleur? I read reviews online indicating that they docked at Le Havre instead? Is September a good month to go? I asked the Vantage rep and he said anytime is a good time to go.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can you recommend it?

My husband has never been to Europe, while I actually lived there. We are looking to sail in 2015, and the only criteria I have is that I would NOT go during the height of the summer because of crowds.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Diane

Hi Diane, welcome to CC! I just checked my latest Vantage catalog and their "Seine River Cruise, Paris & Highlights of Normandy" does show it docking at Honfleur for 2-3 nights. From Honfleur you do Normandy Beaches, Cemetery and Bayeux Tapestry. I haven't done this itinerary with Vantage, but did it as a land tour with Trafalgar in late Aug.-early Sept. and the weather was beautiful. I personally have taken 6 trips with Vantage and have 2 more booked, so you can safely assume that I recommend them! Ships aren't as opulent as others, but they are more than comfortable and the service is outstanding.