Question on Taste of De Librije

jaguarstyper

I was looking at making some dinner reservations for our upcoming cruise on Eurodam and I noticed this dinner. Its only available on Eurodam and Rotterdam and it appears to be similar to the Le Cirque where an original restaurant is emulated. Until I saw this on the website, I had never heard of it or read anything about it here.

So, does anyone know where I can see a sample menu? Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share on the Taste of De Librije dining experience?

Here is the description from HAL:

Exclusively aboard the ms Rotterdam and ms Eurodam, "Taste of De Librije features cuisine of Culinary Council member Jonnie Boer. Named after Boer's Three Michelin Star restaurant, De Librije, in the Netherlands, the menu will showcase a selection of starters, soups, entrees and desserts from his land-based eatery. Once per cruise the Pinnacle Grill will be transformed into De Librije with service staff wearing the livery uniform, the tables will be replicated and the wine list highlighting a selection of labels from the Lady De Librije collection. The five-course menu starts with North Sea Scallops served to all diners. From there, guests can select among three appetizers, two soups, four entrees and three desserts. The $69 per person price includes complimentary wine tastings (2 oz pour) throughout the course of the evening. Guests may also purchase a wine pairing (5 oz) for an additional $20 per person.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Here is a link to some pictures: http://halfacts.com/de-libirje-dinner/

We experienced this on the Eurodam last year and have signed up again (although DH didn't like the deconstructed apple pie).

Here is link with the menu (fourth post): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025275&highlight=taste+of+de+librije

Edited by DWAliaschief

Here's the menu.....

Taste of De Librije

North Sea Scallop - black garlic pearls, celeriac juice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Torched Langoustine with Green Bean Coulis - butternut squash quinoa salad

or

Oyster on the Beach - foie gras, oyster, micro greens

or

Goats Cheese Basil Croutons - cucumber juice

Potato Soup with Lobster and Chorizo - potato soufflé

or

Chilled ClearTomato Gazpacho - black olive and celeriac mousse

Seared North Sea Cod with Speck Ham - coconut foam and lemon grass

or

Duo of Lamb Loin and Crusted Lamb Neck - lentil sprouts, watercress, carrot coulis and lamb jus reduction

or

Baked Red Mullet with Couscous - cockles and bay shrimps

or

Venison Loin and Beef Tenderloin - bulgur wheat and smoked olive oil foam

Deconstructed Apple Pie - vanilla gelato and Chantilly-style cream

or

Rice Chocolate Stones - tuile and strawberries

or

Assortment of Sorbets

My traveling companion and I tried this on the Eurodam in September, 2013 as we were returning to the United States from Europe.

It was an interesting evening because the cuisine was so different. The "deconstructed" food concept was something that we had ever had the opportunity to try. While what we ordered was good, we both agreed that "once was enough" for this experience.

A special wine flight was offered along with the dinner if one so chose to order it. I don't recommend that at all. I did not think the wines were all that great and they were poured so quickly that we found we were still drinking what was served for a previous course when a different wine was served for the next course.

Yea -- maybe something new for us to try on a Caribbean cruise.

I will have to get and check to see if our fall cruise has it offered.

Do you also have Le Cirque offered?

KK,

Yes, Le Cirque was also offered. But, since it was a longer cruise--Amsterdam to New York, I can't be sure that on a shorter cruise both special dinners would be available.

Have not tried Le Cirque. At first, I did not think I would like it. But reading many comments on CC has made me think it might be worth trying.

Our 10 day Canada-New England features both Le Cirque and Die Librije.

Die Librijie is more expensive ($69) but comes with wine pairings (2 oz pours), and offers a more substantial pairings (5 oz) for an additional $20.

Le Cirque is also listed as an option on the Caribbean cruise. Le Cirque is $49 and Taste of De Librije is $69. I already booked the Taste of De Librije since we've never done it. I did enjoy Le Cirque on HAL, but we have been to the real Le Cirque in New York three times, so the Pinnacle Grill version is a bit underwhelming and once was enough.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Our 10 day Canada-New England features both Le Cirque and Die Librije.

Die Librijie is more expensive ($69) but comes with wine pairings (2 oz pours), and offers a more substantial pairings (5 oz) for an additional $20.

I cannot recommend the wine pairings option. Ordering a bottle of what one knows that you will like is what I suggest. Others that night when we dined at the Die Librije had done so and I wish we had as well.

If one does want the wine pairings, I suggest the smaller pours. We had the 5 oz pours and the wine served with one course often was not finished before the next course arrived.