From San Juan airport to Pan Am pier

pthjudy

We always take a Taxi. It's zoned, and I believe around $25-30. I know they charge $1 per bag and I included that in the above. There are jus the two of us, but I have seen vans as part of the taxi fleet. You may need to split your party in two, but even then it would be cheaper than RCI's bus option. If you're lucky, there will only be a few people at the pier when you arrive (as opposed to arriving with a bus load of people.

We've done this at least three times that I can think of.

We always take a Taxi. It's zoned, and I believe around $25-30. I know they charge $1 per bag and I included that in the above. There are jus the two of us, but I have seen vans as part of the taxi fleet. You may need to split your party in two, but even then it would be cheaper than RCI's bus option. If you're lucky, there will only be a few people at the pier when you arrive (as opposed to arriving with a bus load of people.

^^^^^^ what coordinator23 said ^^^^^^^

I was just typing the same thing and saw his post :-)

My son saw something about a super shuttle but it was per person and close to $20 for EACH! I am trying to convince him that there are multiple cabs available just as at other airports all over the world. Is there a sign for taxis near baggage claim?

My son saw something about a super shuttle but it was per person and close to $20 for EACH! I am trying to convince him that there are multiple cabs available just as at other airports all over the world. Is there a sign for taxis near baggage claim?

Yes, everything is really well signposted and there will probably be someone at the exit of the terminal that is guiding people to the taxi area.

Taxis are dispatched from the airport. You just get in line, tell the person at the desk where you want to go and how many people and he fills out a form to give to the driver and waves in the right cab. Driver may or may not speak English, but all are friendly! Around $22 per cab to the pier or downtown plus tip. Sadly, the Isla Verde hotel area adjacent to the airport is around $15 (should be around $5).

Works the same way from the pier.

Taxis are dispatched from the airport. You just get in line, tell the person at the desk where you want to go and how many people and he fills out a form to give to the driver and waves in the right cab. Driver may or may not speak English, but all are friendly! Around $22 per cab to the pier...

That's what we did, and it was as easy as advertised. Those guys at the airport really have it down to a science.

Taxis are dispatched from the airport. You just get in line, tell the person at the desk where you want to go and how many people and he fills out a form to give to the driver and waves in the right cab. Driver may or may not speak English, but all are friendly! Around $22 per cab to the pier or downtown plus tip. Sadly, the Isla Verde hotel area adjacent to the airport is around $15 (should be around $5).

Works the same way from the pier.

The only additional piece of info I would add to all the excellent info people have provided so far is the following:

In San Juan, whether at the airport, Pan Am pier, or elsewhere, always make sure you are using one of the white "Taxi Turistico" minivan taxis, not one of the other, independent San Juan taxi companies who are legendary for ripping off tourists. While the dispatchers at the airport seem to always steer tourists to the Taxi Turistico minivans, it is worth remembering that the other guys are still around seeking suckers, I mean customers.

The only additional piece of info I would add to all the excellent info people have provided so far is the following:

In San Juan, whether at the airport, Pan Am pier, or elsewhere, always make sure you are using one of the white "Taxi Turistico" minivan taxis, not one of the other, independent San Juan taxi companies who are legendary for ripping off tourists. While the dispatchers at the airport seem to always steer tourists to the Taxi Turistico minivans, it is worth remembering that the other guys are still around seeking suckers, I mean customers.

Many thanks.

So how much is the actual taxi fare? Is it one rate? Then it's $1 for each bag? Does that include your back pack on your lap or carry on bag or is that for luggage?

I want to have exact change (plus tip) ready. We ususally bring two suitcases and a rolling duffle bag and small backpack. Thanks in advance...

So how much is the actual taxi fare? Is it one rate? Then it's $1 for each bag? Does that include your back pack on your lap or carry on bag or is that for luggage?

I want to have exact change (plus tip) ready. We ususally bring two suitcases and a rolling duffle bag and small backpack. Thanks in advance...

The taxi fare is based on zones in San Juan:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Extra cost for bags the driver puts in the trunk. No charge for bags you carry.

Have a twenty, a couple fives, and some ones handy. Relax you're on vacation, you don't need to know the EXACT fare, to the dollar, for the taxi before you even leave home. I can't imagine relaxing and enjoying a trip while trying to figure out every single detail like this:rolleyes: It may or may not include the back packs, carry on's, wallets, soda bottles and small children.......

Edited by bouhunter

Zone 1 – Luis Munoz Marin (SJU) Airport to Zone 4 (Pan Am Pier) in Jan 2014

$19 PLUS

Gas surcharge of $2.00 per trip.

suitcases are $1 each

• The fares above include up to 5 passengers. If there are more than 5 passengers, there is a $2 per person charge for the 6th and 7th passenger. Maximum 7 passengers per taxi.
  • From 10:00pm until 6:00am there is an additional charge of $1 per trip
  • A tip of 10-15% is customary

Thom

Have a twenty, a couple fives, and some ones handy. Relax you're on vacation, you don't need to know the EXACT fare, to the dollar, for the taxi before you even leave home. I can't imagine relaxing and enjoying a trip while trying to figure out every single detail like this:rolleyes: It may or may not include the back packs, carry on's, wallets, soda bottles and small children.......

Thanks for the snarky comments. I asked, and I received polite answers. Wow...incredible :rolleyes:

Thank you to those who were helpful. :)