Daniel's Head Beach

gaylemh

Could someone who will be in Bermuda the next few weeks, do me a favor and check to see if you can get the tram, without prior reservations through Island Tours? Also what the schedule is? I'd appreciate it.

Could someone who will be in Bermuda the next few weeks, do me a favor and check to see if you can get the tram, without prior reservations through Island Tours? Also what the schedule is? I'd appreciate it.

We took the tram today. Did not bother with reservations. It left Dockyard at 10:30, 11:30, and 1:30.

Daniels Head was nice, very laid back, and uncrowded. Paddle Surfing was cool. Interesting and worth a try.

We took the tram today. Did not bother with reservations. It left Dockyard at 10:30, 11:30, and 1:30.

Daniels Head was nice, very laid back, and uncrowded. Paddle Surfing was cool. Interesting and worth a try.

Thank you so much for letting me know. What were the times for the return, and where do you get it in the Dockyard? Thanks again.

Thank you so much for letting me know. What were the times for the return, and where do you get it in the Dockyard? Thanks again.

They go back and forth throughout the day. Final return is around 4pm. Find the Red tram near the Pink water sports info booth (where you can confirm my info and buy your tickets) and Bonefish restaurant.

How was the water at Daniel's Head? Rough or calm? Any concessions there beyond the equipment rental?

Water was very calm and shallow for quite a ways out. Restaurant, bar, bathrooms ... but very informal. Not a fancy place. Very small, friendly and down to earth. Oh, and free Wi-Fi.

Water was very calm and shallow for quite a ways out. Restaurant, bar, bathrooms ... but very informal. Not a fancy place. Very small, friendly and down to earth. Oh, and free Wi-Fi.

Thanks for mentioning the free Wi-fi and the calm and shallow water!

This is probably a good place to visit for my family.

Where can I find information about the tram you are referring to? Is it connected to the ferry/bus ticket or is it something separate?

Where can I find information about the tram you are referring to? Is it connected to the ferry/bus ticket or is it something separate?

It has nothing to do with the bus and ferry system tickets or the mini bus shuttles to Horseshoe Bay. You buy a ticket for the tram at their booth (an earlier post describes where it is).

This is the website for the Daniels Head "Train"

http://www.islandtourcentre.com/portfolio/summer-beach-shuttle/?id=4626

This is the website for the beach rentals

http://www.surfsupbermuda.com/

Again, not the fanciest place by any means, but we had a good time paddling around and looking at the turtles.

Edited by OceanBlue123

This is the website for the Daniels Head "Train"

http://www.islandtourcentre.com/portfolio/summer-beach-shuttle/?id=4626

This is the website for the beach rentals

http://www.surfsupbermuda.com/

Again, not the fanciest place by any means, but we had a good time paddling around and looking at the turtles.

Does it have any place to store belongings while your paddle boarding or exploring. Any restrooms or food options.

Does it have any place to store belongings while your paddle boarding or exploring. Any restrooms or food options.

I do not know about a place to store belongings as we went with a few non-swimmers who watched our stuff for us. Maybe you could e-mail them?

http://www.surfsupbermuda.com/contact-us-1.html

They have a cafe and restrooms. Very informal. If you like burgers and dogs from a grill you are all set. If you want a waitress and indoor tables, look elsewhere.

We were at Daniel's Head Beach on Aug 21. We took a taxi there, because the rate was $20, which was significantly less expensive for our group that taking the red train.

However, we did not prearrange for the taxi to pick us up, so we had the workers there call a cab for us. It took forever to come, and the driver refused to take us because we were wearing swimsuits - even though we were dry and had dusted off all the sand. We ended up buying one-way tickets on the spot for the red train.

The next day, on the ship, poolside, there was a representative from the Bermuda department of tourism taking surveys. One of her questions was about our experience with the taxis. So, I mentioned what had happened, and she said that they are not supposed to refuse to take passengers, and that they absolutely should have taken us.

Anyway, the beach was pretty quiet and empty, making for a peacefully delightful day. We did not rent chairs or umbrellas because there were so many big shady trees to sit under - we just spread out our towel. The water was warm and very calm. It was also very shallow so we could walk very far out. There was a lot of seaweed, so I'm glad I brought water shoes (even though we thought that we'd never use them, we did!)

I want to give a shout out to Crystal Kayaks - they were an absolute pleasure to do business with. We did a two hour rental of a 2-seater kayak for $65. Their kayaks are unique because they have a glass bottom, so you can see the fish and turtles swimming below you. http://www.crystalclearkayaksbda.com/index.html

I do want to mention that the beach was rather littered, which was a bit disappointing. Also, there were a lot of ants, so make sure you shake out your towels and beach bag very well....it was really no problem, just something to be aware of.

Edited by DonnaK

What did they charge for the one way return?

How many in the taxi for $20?

We were 7 people, 3 adults, 2 young adults who look like teens, and 2 small kids.

The one way return was $25 for all of us.

However, we did not prearrange for the taxi to pick us up, so we had the workers there call a cab for us. It took forever to come, and the driver refused to take us because we were wearing swimsuits - even though we were dry and had dusted off all the sand. We ended up buying one-way tickets on the spot for the red train.

The next day, on the ship, poolside, there was a representative from the Bermuda department of tourism taking surveys. One of her questions was about our experience with the taxis. So, I mentioned what had happened, and she said that they are not supposed to refuse to take passengers, and that they absolutely should have taken us.

It is well known, I would call it a tradition that Bermuda cab drivers will not take you if you are wearing a swimsuit. They like to keep their cabs dry and clean. That info has been posted in the past. They will refuse you despite what the survey taker may have said about it being not allowed.

Edited by Charles4515
uuuu

• 9 months later...
It is well known, I would call it a tradition that Bermuda cab drivers will not take you if you are wearing a swimsuit. They like to keep their cabs dry and clean. That info has been posted in the past. They will refuse you despite what the survey taker may have said about it being not allowed.

Also, when we went to Bermuda for the first time (2000) it was unacceptable to wear your swim suit in public (off the beach) by the locals. I don't know if that protocol has changed, as the island sees MANY more people on a weekly basis than it did back in 2000.

Also, when we went to Bermuda for the first time (2000) it was unacceptable to wear your swim suit in public (off the beach) by the locals. I don't know if that protocol has changed, as the island sees MANY more people on a weekly basis than it did back in 2000.

What if you have a cover up over your suit?

It's still not acceptable to wear a swim suit in public.

It's still not acceptable to wear a swim suit in public.

Thanks for the feedback. I remember in 2000, a young girl was wearing a bikini top and shorts and was asked to put a top on. I REALLY don't mind these type of "traditions". That's part of the charm that makes Bermuda what it is, and not just another island.