Beach Day In St Martin

Sleepylove83

I'm struggling to decide between heading to Maho Beach or Orient Beach. I'm going on the NCL Getaway 9/26 to 10/4. I really can't make up my mind. I want to relax on the beach (as the other 2 ports I will be snorkeling). I want to see the planes, but am afraid I may get tired of it:confused: after a while. How often do they fly over? Is it worth the hype? And for Orient I heard it's amazing and beautiful. I could just go and relax there and enjoy the beach. Any suggestions? Also if I'm going to either do I have to use the boat's excursions?

Thanks!!!

I went to Orient beach in 2013. it was ok i just didnt like the pushy people trying to sell me stuff non stop the same people asking me time and time again.

I want to go to Maho beach and see the planes next time I am there :)

We did both by taxi, spent a few hours at Orient and about 1 hour at Maho. Around 35.00 total p/p for cab fees.

Sweet so it's possible to do both?! That's awesome. It's just me so I should def be able to do that. and $35 is cheaper than the cost of the an excursion to one or the other.

Thanks!!!

It is definitely be more than $35 for you to do this on your own. Runner15km said $35 "Per person". I'm assuming there we at least 2 in his cab - making the cost $70.

It is very easy to drive. We rent from Coastal Car Rental right at the pier. They offer a preprogrammed GPS for $5. Go at your own pace. All the beaches an major sights are in the GPS - very easy to follow. This will cost approx $70, but you will have the freedom to go wherever you like for the entire day.

Have you thought about Mullet Bay in the morning for a relaxing beach and then Maho in the afternoon for the planes? The big ones do not arrive until after noon. They are a 15 minute walk from each other so you only have to take a taxi or a bus to one spot.

For $2 each way, you cannot beat the bus for an inexpensive day.

We want to taxi to Orient Beach also. How much is it? Is there a place all the taxis drop you off or can you pick a place? We've been there a couple times with a tour but this time just want to relax

Taxi to Orient Beach is $20 total one way for 2 people. Three or more people, price goes down to about $9 pp.

There are taxis at Orient to take you back to the port. You can also ask the same taxi driver if he can come back to pick you up, which we have done.

http://www.st-martin-vacation.com/IconsandGifs/taxi-fares2011.pdf

I'm struggling to decide between heading to Maho Beach or Orient Beach. I'm going on the NCL Getaway 9/26 to 10/4. I really can't make up my mind. I want to relax on the beach (as the other 2 ports I will be snorkeling). I want to see the planes, but am afraid I may get tired of it:confused: after a while. How often do they fly over? Is it worth the hype? And for Orient I heard it's amazing and beautiful. I could just go and relax there and enjoy the beach. Any suggestions? Also if I'm going to either do I have to use the boat's excursions?

Thanks!!!

We have done both Orient and Maho beach with Bernards tour. Their tours come with a cooler of water, soda, beer and a potent rum punch.

http://www.bernardstours.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Have you thought about Mullet Bay in the morning for a relaxing beach and then Maho in the afternoon for the planes? The big ones do not arrive until after noon. They are a 15 minute walk from each other so you only have to take a taxi or a bus to one spot.

For $2 each way, you cannot beat the bus for an inexpensive day.

Is the bus easy to catch? 15 min walk isn't bad at all. And thank you for letting me know the big ones come in the afternoon. Didn't know that, that kind of makes it easier to decide to do both. All this info does make a good case for doing exactly this!

Thank you all for your responses!! Helping me make better choices. Didn't think to not do an excursion with the ship.

That looks like fun and get t see more than just the beach. Did you feel like you got to spend enough time at Orient to enjoy the beach?

With Bernards tour #2, we spent almost 2 hours at Orient. Was it enough time you ask, for DH, yes, for me, I could spend all week there :)

Is the bus easy to catch? 15 min walk isn't bad at all. And thank you for letting me know the big ones come in the afternoon. Didn't know that, that kind of makes it easier to decide to do both. All this info does make a good case for doing exactly this!

Thank you all for your responses!! Helping me make better choices. Didn't think to not do an excursion with the ship.

You would need to walk to Philipsburg and catch the bus for $2 on Back St., which runs parallel to Front St. Buses are minivans and their license plate will indicate *BUS* and will have a sign in their window indicating Maho. It is also easy to catch a bus back from Maho Beach to Philipsburg. I believe it is a 5 min walk from Maho Beach to catch the bus.

Comments in red.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

It is definitely be more than $35 for you to do this on your own. Runner15km said $35 "Per person". I'm assuming there we at least 2 in his cab - making the cost $70.

It is very easy to drive. We rent from Coastal Car Rental right at the pier. They offer a preprogrammed GPS for $5. Go at your own pace. All the beaches an major sights are in the GPS - very easy to follow. This will cost approx $70, but you will have the freedom to go wherever you like for the entire day.

With the strict drinking and driving laws (especially strict on the French side of the island) taking taxis makes a whole lot of sence for obvious reasons. Kind of nice to be able to have a few drinks while on vacation and not have to worry about things like getting a DUI or worse.

I have not done it personally yet - I am still in 'research mode' myself. However, this is a pretty recent thread that has some good details on exactly how to catch the bus and what to expect (Thanks mominva)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087364

The busses on St. Maarten are cheap, but they are generally crowded and take a lot more of your limited time in port to get around. Getting from the port to Phillipsburg to get the bus, waiting for one, and then getting back at the end of the day could easily total an hour. Unless you are on a very tight budget, it is a good idea to share a taxi among four people.

The busses on St. Maarten are cheap, but they are generally crowded and take a lot more of your limited time in port to get around. Getting from the port to Phillipsburg to get the bus, waiting for one, and then getting back at the end of the day could easily total an hour. Unless you are on a very tight budget, it is a good idea to share a taxi among four people.

Totally agree with you about taking a taxi.

One day we walked into town from the pier, just for the exercise and it was very hot walking, now we'll take the water taxi if we want to go into town.