No Mooloolaba for the Pacific Pearl today - 16 Aug 2014.

one of the locals posted this on facebook

What a joke. The boat has come into Mooloolaba and it is flat. No swell. And raining. They left after an hour. Said it was to rough to bring people into marina by the whale one boat. Gee has skipper ever done this before. I feel sorry for the whole town and businesses that have extra staff and parades etc planned. I just paddle out there. Not rough at all

but we all know that it can get rough in the afternoon and if they take the people across they have to bring them back

one of the locals posted this on facebook

What a joke. The boat has come into Mooloolaba and it is flat. No swell. And raining. They left after an hour. Said it was to rough to bring people into marina by the whale one boat. Gee has skipper ever done this before. I feel sorry for the whole town and businesses that have extra staff and parades etc planned. I just paddle out there. Not rough at all

but we all know that it can get rough in the afternoon and if they take the people across they have to bring them back

Pity they missed it, love Mooloolaba, was up there a few weeks ago, regular spot for us.

Yes, the locals would have been looking forward to the visit.

The same happened during our April cruise on PP in April this year.

We missed Robe with similar sea conditions.

Guess they were thinking ahead - worried how they'd get us all back in the tenders if the seas increased in the afternoon.

We were all lined up for our tender tickets when they made the announcement.

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the reported 1 to 2 foot swell on Coast Watch is a guide, Moolooaba could be missed frequently on future visits.:(

Are you sure its a 1 to 2 "FEET" swell ?, I sail out of there regularly in my yacht and a 1 to 2 METRE swell sometimes may be a problem in a small boat depending on the wind direction, I could not see a 1 to 2 "feet" swell effecting any large ship. (Unless there are Large waves on top of the swell).

Are you sure its a 1 to 2 "FEET" swell ?, I sail out of there regularly in my yacht and a 1 to 2 METRE swell sometimes may be a problem in a small boat depending on the wind direction, I could not see a 1 to 2 "feet" swell effecting any large ship. (Unless there are Large waves on top of the swell).

I had a look at the Coast Watch surf cam at 1000 this morning and it was showing a shore break that looked to be less than 2 feet, with no surfers out.

We live on the Sunshine Coast and the weather deteriorated as the day went on. It was pretty foul and no-one would have wanted to go ashore anyway as it poured all day. It wasn't too bad in the morning but just worse with heavy rain squalls. I didn't see the swell as we stayed inside :) but I think P&O made the call based on the forecast.

As I mentioned, there wouldn't have been any point in going ashore as you wouldn't have been able to do anything.

It's the first rain we have had in months and months and it was most welcome. Unfortunately it arrived on the wrong day for the Passengers on Pacific Pearl :eek:

We live on the sunshine coast as well and tbh most people couldn't give two hoots about the ship. Whilst it is disappointing for local businesses the ship will be back.

Myself? Honestly? I wouldn't cruise with any carnival product but that's just me being snobby

We live on the sunshine coast as well and tbh most people couldn't give two hoots about the ship. Whilst it is disappointing for local businesses the ship will be back.

Myself? Honestly? I wouldn't cruise with any carnival product but that's just me being snobby

who do you mainly cruise with....when you said you wouldnt cruise Carnival ships or Carnival Corp as they own quite a few companies

If they had got ashore and the rain continued..the pax could have gone to the great Mooloolaba Surf Club and sucked on XXXX or had one of those excellent seafood platters. LOL. Plenty of retail therapy along the beachfront too.

Edited by NSWP

If they had got ashore and the rain continued..the pax could have gone to the great Mooloolaba Surf Club and sucked on XXXX or had one of those excellent seafood platters. LOL. Plenty of retail therapy along the beachfront too.

Gee Les...your starting sound a bit like a banana bender :p

Gee Les...your starting sound a bit like a banana bender :p

G'day Flipper, yes been up to Qld a million times, brother and sister up there, but I don't actually drink XXXX, no gluten free version. But Mooloolaba is a great place and a good decision by P&O to have cruise ships call in, weather permitting. The pax could have jumped ship and body surfed in. LOL.

a 2 metre swell is no problem at all for a cruiseship ---- BUT, it is a BIG problem for a small tender boat trying to take passengers off that ship(and return them) . The ship sits in the water like a wharf!! -- rock solid and not moving. But the tender boats bobs up and down 2metres and crashes against the side of the ship!!! Some/many/most of the passengers are either old, infirm, unwell - or young and obese with no ability to balance on their own two feet.

I credit P&O for attempting to create new port opportunities - but it isn't going to happen on the East Coast of Australia - remember the failed attempt at Batemans Bay some time ago. The east coast is exposed to the full force of the Pacific Ocean - and even on the calmest of days, a 2 metre swell is common offshore.

We got back from our cruise to New Caledonia this past Thursday - and the wind blew like a banshee for the entire 8 days. It was gusting into the low 60 knots on Wednesday night approaching Sydney.

Barry

Well they may not give two hoots but that's a bit short sighted. That can add up to lot of business to local establishments which has an ongoing effect on the whole area.

Many businesses bought lots of extra food, hired extra staff etc. that's not a small amount of people. It's them that I felt sorry for.

I credit P&O for attempting to create new port opportunities - but it isn't going to happen on the East Coast of Australia - remember the failed attempt at Batemans Bay some time ago. The east coast is exposed to the full force of the Pacific Ocean - and even on the calmest of days, a 2 metre swell is common offshore.Barry

That's an interesting point. On the Australian East Coast south of Fraser Island I'm hard put to think of a suitably protected anchorage for tendering from a large cruise ship.

Jervis Bay would probably do, but I'm pretty sure Port Stephens is too shallow. How about Eden?

Following on from Barry Bazzaw, mentioning Batemans Bay....I think I mentioned this before but the 'World' (small boutique cruise ship) visited Batemans Bay about 6 years ago. Had tendering problems, but a couple of hundred pax got ashore. My wife and I were meters and greeters for Local Tourism Office. However, that was the first and last visit by a cruise ship, Volendam was due to arrive here a few month later, but cancelled the stop and went further down the coast to Eden. Trouble with Batemans Bay, there is only a metre draught over the sand bars, too dodgy for the tenders, hence Volendam not stopping.