Fellow Cruisers ~ Sharing ~ Why Not???

sail7seas

A few times in the last week, I've read comments on this board about people (here) being will to share information/HAL experience.

It puzzles me that it needs remarking about.

Why wouldn't someone who comes to a Bulletin Board wish to share what information they may have? I cannot fathom someone who comes to these boards being unwilling to respond to question for which they know the answer.

What am I missing? :confused: Why be here if that isn't what you want to do??

Sail, may I assume that "will" in the first line was supposed to be "unwilling"?

It would seem that anyone coming here would want to share information, but I can think of a few reasons why someone might not:

Some people are just "users". They want to take what they can get and give nothing in return. Fortunately, there are only a few of those on this board.

Someone may have tried to offer advice or share information but was made to feel stupid or put down by other posters. Unfortunately that does happen at times on this board.

Any other thoughts?

Grumpy, I think you're right. Especially if someone has an experience to share that's less than ideal. They may from past observations feel they will be put down for being "negative" or a "perfectionist."

Personally, I'm very grateful for the many on this board who have helped me in so many ways. I have learned what to do ... and not do ... what to not miss and what to avoid. It all helps me be a more informed consumer, even if I don't always agree with the poster's take on a situation.

There are a lot of people that are afraid that they will not fit in ot that they will be heavily criticised about what they say.

Remember my post back in 2003 about our airplane flights to Vancouver for the Alaska Cruise. I took a lot of heat over that one aznd they were times when I thought that it is not worth the grief to comment but I still do.

We should praise those who share information and ignore those that do not..

Just one cruisers opinion...

Jim

A few times in the last week, I've read comments on this board about people (here) being will to share information/HAL experience.

Why wouldn't someone who comes to a Bulletin Board wish to share what information they may have? I cannot fathom someone who comes to these boards being unwilling to respond to question for which they know the answer.

Sorry for the typo. I meant to write: A few times in the last week, I've read comments on this board about people (here) being unwilling to share..........

We've also seen folks who think that if they "share" the details of a bad experience that HAL will launch the black helicopters to hunt them down....

.....and hand over sacks of money to Compensate them for their horrendous experience :)!!!

And then plead with them to "give them a chance to try harder?" :)

Grumpy, I think you're right. Especially if someone has an experience to share that's less than ideal. They may from past observations feel they will be put down for being "negative" or a "perfectionist."

Personally, I'm very grateful for the many on this board who have helped me in so many ways. I have learned what to do ... and not do ... what to not miss and what to avoid. It all helps me be a more informed consumer, even if I don't always agree with the poster's take on a situation.

I do not post often nor have I cruised nearly as much as many people on this board but I too am grateful for all the experiences shared here. It has helped make my cruise experiences more enjoyable and even more affordable! I try add my insights where applicable but stay away from areas of which I have little or no knowledge. Being ignored or flamed for asking a question that may seem "dumb" or uninformed does concern me sometimes, I must admit, and it tends to keep me somewhat quiet.

I enjoy sharing information but usually by the time I can get on the boards to post someone else has already given the answer. I came to these boards in 2001 when we were planning our first HAL cruise. I have learned so much I think I could sell cruises. :)

That being said I do find it annoying when a newbie asks a question and another poster replys that the topic has been discussed a great deal and "do a search" for the answer. We should all be able to take a little time to answer a question and we certainly shouldn't scare off a newbie or any poster for that matter.

I like to share and help out when I can. I don't know what I would have done without the help on boards like this when I was getting ready for my first cruise (my first real vacation, ever).

I am often amazed on message boards what sets people off.

There are a lot of people that are afraid that they will not fit in ot that they will be heavily criticised about what they say.

Remember my post back in 2003 about our airplane flights to Vancouver for the Alaska Cruise. I took a lot of heat over that one aznd they were times when I thought that it is not worth the grief to comment but I still do.

We should praise those who share information and ignore those that do not..

Just one cruisers opinion...

Jim

If it hadn't been for this Board and all the information I have read and been given we would not have had such wonderful experiences whilst away on our trips.

I am happy to pass on any information I have learnt or gathered along the way and I also am happy to take on board any info that will help us make our trip even more enjoyable.

I am grateful to everyone who have been generous in their postings.

Jennie

All I know about booking incentives on board would be on X or RCI. The prices are really high but you recieve shipboard credits for booking. Such as $50 to $100 for one week, $200 for two weeks or more. Then when you get home you turn booking over to TA who can get a lower price.

I enjoy sharing information but usually by the time I can get on the boards to post someone else has already given the answer. I came to these boards in 2001 when we were planning our first HAL cruise. I have learned so much I think I could sell cruises. :)

That being said I do find it annoying when a newbie asks a question and another poster replys that the topic has been discussed a great deal and "do a search" for the answer. We should all be able to take a little time to answer a question and we certainly shouldn't scare off a newbie or any poster for that matter.

Missylou: Your first sentence could have been my reply! Like you I enjoy sharing information but I really don't feel that pointing a new poster in the direction of information already available is negative.....it's time saving for those of us who do not have unlimited time to once again spell everything out.

The Dress Code question for example comes up with monotonous regularity and the answers and opinions are the same - usually posted by the same ‘regulars’. Tipping is in the same category.

Questions as to which nights are 'formal' to me seem pointless - the cruise line information advises there are (for example) 3 formal nights; 2 casual and 2 informal - I choose outfits with that in mind - does the day of the week really matter?

Which night should I book the Pinnacle? That's your choice - to me it makes no difference because I'm not affected.

My advice to any new cruiser is to talk with friends, get referrals to their preferred travel agents, go talk with them, pick up brochures, study brochures from cover to cover and then ask questions of the TA and these cruise info boards.

I'll either be flamed or ignored for these comments - so be it!

:)

I don't think it is now worthwhile to book a cruise whilst on board the ship if you can get a good price before you sail.

We waited to book our 34 day Panama/Amazon trip whilst we were on the Maasdam as I was expecting at least $150p.p. shipboard credit, the same as last year when we booked. Instead the most that is being offered is $75p.p. shipboard credit. When I queried how little the amount was, the Cruise Consultant told us that a new Manager was now in charge at HAL and was cutting back!

Jennie

:rolleyes:I'm a newbie, only 8 cruises, and I spend a lot more time reading than posting. But if someone posts with questions I can answer, I try my best.

I have learned a lot from the veterans here at CC, and now go sailing with a lot more confidence. I wouldn't be the HAL devotee I am today if it weren't for Reverend Neal!

Mrsraggy

:)

I agree with you Missylou…I believe it is expecting too much when a newbie is told to look up the subject on another thread.

So what if the subject has been re-hashed over & over. If you don’t like the subject, just ignore it & go on to another thread. Many of us don’t mind repetition & I’m amazed when someone tells a person that this subject has been discussed before.:( ..What may not be important to one could be very important to others. It’s no skin off my nose if someone wants to repeat subjects which have been previously discussed.

However, many posters choose to answer questions in a non-judgmental manner & I applaud you all for this...

I enjoy these boards & thank all of you who are willing to share your information time & again. Yes,some topics can get monotonous, but that’s life…Take time to smell the flowers!:)

I don't think it is now worthwhile to book a cruise whilst on board the ship if you can get a good price before you sail.

We waited to book our 34 day Panama/Amazon trip whilst we were on the Maasdam as I was expecting at least $150p.p. shipboard credit, the same as last year when we booked. Instead the most that is being offered is $75p.p. shipboard credit. When I queried how little the amount was, the Cruise Consultant told us that a new Manager was now in charge at HAL and was cutting back!

Jennie

Jennie, I too waited to book 3 cruises while we were on the Maasdam and was quite dissappointed in the amount given for ship board credit. Luckily when transferred to my TA she was able to give me the same price she had quoted me prior to leaving but the the hassle I went thru to ge t thru to HAL and book I am not sure it was worth it. I think the problem is HAL is not having any problem filling up there ship especially with Mariners that they do not need to offer things like ship board credit to get them coming back. That is just more money they save.

Archived