MSC prejudice against solo travellers - morally repugnant

Skipper Tim

My mother booked a single cruise in April of this year to sail in May. She then moved out of our room for October and switched to a cabin by herself, which she did this in July. She booked through a TA, neither booking had the single supplement.

My mother booked a single cruise in April of this year to sail in May. She then moved out of our room for October and switched to a cabin by herself, which she did this in July. She booked through a TA, neither booking had the single supplement.

Well done!

However I think the rules that apply to UK solo bookings do not apply to USA :)

Annie

I mostly book solo cabins but not just on MSC.

I have noticed in the past that cruise lines will refuse solo bookings but the way round that is to book as two people and (paying double or 200%)and then the second person is a no show and port taxes will be refunded. I have never done this but know people who do.

I am booked as a solo B2B on the Divina next month paying double (200%) but the base price was low so affordable. This was the Bingo promotion - paid the inside price and have been upgraded to a balcony.

I am also booked on the Orchestra To Australia in Feb. That time I paid 150%, one and a half times the base rate. That was when the prices were first released as it is not possible to book as a solo now although there are cabins available for doubles. The way around it is as I have said book as 2 persons and one be a no show.

The solo supplement has always been a marketing ploy.

I first started sailing Carnival as they offered solo cabins (1A with portholes) for 150%, one and a half times the base price, on all their ships. Then they changed it and charged double -200% for all their cabins. A lot of solos stopped booking. Now, possibly to compete with MSC, there is no solo supplement at all on some of their 1As. As I had cruises booked in October I was able to get a price reduction and have a nice OBC.

Celebrity and Royal are now charging double ,200%, for all their cabins even their Tuesday specials where they always use to reduce the solo supplement. Having said that there was no solo supplement on balconies for the Independence TA in May so they do have occasional promotions. The solo board here on CC is a good resource as this is where people post the deals.

Norwegian has the solo cabins but they are only insides and I am not interested in inside cabins. They do charge a solo supplement for these but not double.

To comment on the Child price for the Splendida in Dec the flight is not free so that would be flight and taxes.

I cruised solo on Armonia for 2 weeks in Jan 2014. No problems booking - and even no single supplement!

I gather they vary availability for solos depending on how well the cruise is selling.

I also sailed solo on the Armonia in March this year and many times before that. I booked the Armonia in 2013. It is summer this year and beyond that solo availability has been drastically reduced and where you can still find one at very much increased prices compared to the last 3 years.

I do hope they will start making some more cruises available to us again especially on repos. With increased capacity coming from extra cabins on Lirica class and new ships coming down the line, spare capacity may make them consider attracting us solos again (bearing in mind that some of us have disposable income to spend onboard unlike some families with kids and strapped for cash). Time will tell, I guess.

I also sailed solo on the Armonia in March this year and many times before that. I booked the Armonia in 2013. It is summer this year and beyond that solo availability has been drastically reduced and where you can still find one at very much increased prices compared to the last 3 years.

I do hope they will start making some more cruises available to us again especially on repos. With increased capacity coming from extra cabins on Lirica class and new ships coming down the line, spare capacity may make them consider attracting us solos again (bearing in mind that some of us have disposable income to spend onboard unlike some families with kids and strapped for cash). Time will tell, I guess.

Ditto here. I feel like I am consigned to be a lurker on this forum until there is a return to more sensible pricing and solos policies.

P.S. Setting off tomorrow on a sail of altogether another kind. I have set up a dedicated blog site and James, Jeffrey and I will be contributing to it as we go. New link below.

Ditto here. I feel like I am consigned to be a lurker on this forum until there is a return to more sensible pricing and solos policies.

P.S. Setting off tomorrow on a sail of altogether another kind. I have set up a dedicated blog site and James, Jeffrey and I will be contributing to it as we go. New link below.

I shall be following your adventures Tim. I'm having my own one just now in the Costa del Sol! Actually not that adventurous really........other than neRly needing an oxygene tank when I made it several hundred steps to the old town earlier today. Now enjoying hotel free and fast wifi before dinner!