Is the "Hump" Worth It?

There are several Hump cabins. Those in the middle of the hump, will have no obstruction to either direction. But if your cabin is in the back of the hump, like 7324 in Mariner, you would not see forward past those middle hump cabins.

Likewise, forward hump cabins will have obstructed view backwards.

Me thinks. ;)

Agree, a center hump has a slightly better view, but any other is obstructed in one direction, which can be annoying. Any balcony not close to a hump has a great view - save your money.

• 3 months later...
All of the comments talk about D1 cabins on the hump - what about D2? On the Allure deck plans there seems to more D2 hump cabins. What is the difference?

The D1 staterooms have a capacity greater than two.

Edited by clarea

The D1 staterooms have a capacity greater than two.

I just checked the pre April 2015 deck plans with the post plans and RCI has recategorised all the two person only cabins on the humps as D2. I wonder if there will be any difference to the interiors (other than the sofabed) after drydock?

I just checked the pre April 2015 deck plans with the post plans and RCI has recategorised all the two person only cabins on the humps as D2. I wonder if there will be any difference to the interiors (other than the sofabed) after drydock?

If they do anything to the staterooms in the course of the dry dock, it will be things like replacing draperies, worn carpeting, furniture in need of repair, etc. I don't think there will be changes in the staterooms related to changing category from D1 to D2.

Edited by clarea

Confused...???

I'm not surprised. The OP's question was specifically about the D1's on OASIS CLASS! The hump locations/configurations on other classes (Voyager, Radiance) are a totally different animal than the D1 hump cabins on Oasis class.

The forward hump D1's, in my opinion, are not worth the extra $$ for me. Yes, the balcony will be deeper (not any wider) than other D cabins on the ship. That is the only difference. The "humps" on this class of ship are bumped out, but they are parallel to the side of the ship, not curved like humps on the other classes; therefore, all cabins, with the exception of the transition locations (first one or two ahead and behind) have the same expansive views forward and back. On deck six, you will most likely see part of a lifeboat sticking out below you which will only impede your view straight down to the water line.

While the hump locations on other classes of ships are very conveniently located to the main elevator banks, this is not the case on Oasis class. They are, in fact, quite a hike from either.

While the hump locations on other classes of ships are very conveniently located to the main elevator banks, this is not the case on Oasis class. They are, in fact, quite a hike from either.

I am looking at the forward hump (7198) on the Allure and it is quite close to the elevators - in fact only 17 cabins. :confused:

I am looking at the forward hump (7198) on the Allure and it is quite close to the elevators - in fact only 17 cabins. :confused:

Enjoy your workout!:D:D:D Just wanted to warn the OP and others who perhaps have issues with a lot of walking. Enjoy that Allure cruise.:)

We are planning on possibly doing our first B2B on Oasis and have the option of booking a D4 or a D1 hump balcony. The deck and location is essentially the same, but the price difference is just over $200 per sailing so $400 total to have the D1 hump balcony for both legs vs. the standard balcony for both legs.

I've never seen a hump balcony before but I understand that they are a bit bigger. Are the views obstructed at all? Are there any downsides we should be aware of with them?

I don't know about the hump rooms on the Oasis but every hump room (3) we've ever had was totally worth it!! :D

Edited by Ladysilver

Had a hump cabin on allure 8198 if I remember right. Deck 8 is preferable to 7 because of access to central park without stairs. Yes the walk feels longish. Was dead center on hump. 80 Sq ft balcony with table and 2 chairs. D2 to D8 are 50 Sq ft No loungers but would have been space. Got the D1 on a price drop so it was cheaper than all other D2 - D8. I would not spend 400 more for 2 weeks for the larger balcony. Same money goes so much further in the ports or into your mouth...or wallet. Rooms exactly identical to any other

Had a hump cabin on allure 8198 if I remember right. Deck 8 is preferable to 7 because of access to central park without stairs. Yes the walk feels longish. Was dead center on hump. 80 Sq ft balcony with table and 2 chairs. D2 to D8 are 50 Sq ft No loungers but would have been space. Got the D1 on a price drop so it was cheaper than all other D2 - D8. I would not spend 400 more for 2 weeks for the larger balcony. Same money goes so much further in the ports or into your mouth...or wallet. Rooms exactly identical to any other

As of April 2015 - the x198 cabins on the Allure have been reclassified as D2 - D1 cabins have the sofabed. So the D2 will have the 80 sq ft balconies.

Changing the subject on which ship. On the Independence in a hump, does it have a couch and what is on the balcony?

Yes, there is a couch in balcony staterooms on Indy. Balcony usually has a small table and two chairs.