Drink Packages.... Are they making you sign?

From what I've read, they swipe your card every time, but they don't always ask you to sign.

Yes, that was our experience too, which I didn't include in my post above. They always swiped the card, so maybe they were just keeping all of the receipts together once we had signed the first one.

Yes, that was our experience too, which I didn't include in my post above. They always swiped the card, so maybe they were just keeping all of the receipts together once we had signed the first one.

I believe they swipe every time to have a record of each drink. They do allow people to cancel the drink package, and in that case, they go back and charge individually for each drink consumed.

also...i plan to give a mini-review of the cruise and specifically the drink package. i was curious as to how it would work out and kept notes for our drinking. we are moderate drinkers and i wondered if we would come out way ahead or behind.

results close...i still need to do some final calculations. man its hard to keep up that pace for 7 days!!

possible...although i suspect they are highly encouraged to get signatures for documentation.

i would tip an extra dollar for an advanced cocktail that took some time. would also tip a buck for the runners vs just grabbing at the bar. especially at the pool.

My theory on this is that they give you the receipt to sign to see if they can get an extra tip as most people don't carry cash so if they did't there would be no chance of getting the extra tip.

I believe they swipe every time to have a record of each drink. They do allow people to cancel the drink package, and in that case, they go back and charge individually for each drink consumed.

Bob, I didn't realize they would let people cancel the package, but I guess that makes sense. I wonder if they have a certain " cancellation window" of the first couple of days, similar to their purchase window, otherwise people could just do the math near the end of cruise and decide whether it would have been cheaper to pay per drink.

By the way, in the short time I've been on Cruise Critic, I have to say that you are probably the most informative and to-the-point poster out here. A true wealth of info, so thanks!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

also...i plan to give a mini-review of the cruise and specifically the drink package. i was curious as to how it would work out and kept notes for our drinking. we are moderate drinkers and i wondered if we would come out way ahead or behind.

results close...i still need to do some final calculations. man its hard to keep up that pace for 7 days!!

I'm with you! We are moderate drinkers as well, at least on land. On a cruise vacation, I knew it could be a different story so we opted for the $55 package. I can say that for us it was definitely worth it. As far as the note taking, I relied on snapping a photo of each pair of drinks that my GF and I ordered. If it weren't for those pix, I never would have been able to keep track.

Stay thirsty, my friend!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Bob, I didn't realize they would let people cancel the package, but I guess that makes sense. I wonder if they have a certain " cancellation window" of the first couple of days, similar to their purchase window, otherwise people could just do the math near the end of cruise and decide whether it would have been cheaper to pay per drink.

By the way, in the short time I've been on Cruise Critic, I have to say that you probably the most informative and to-the-point poster out here. A true wealth of info, so thanks!

Here is the FAQ regarding cancelling a package. Does not seem to indicate a time limit:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3651

The only drinks I saw them not making us sign for consistently were sodas. Bottled water was hit or miss. For drinks, we signed each time. Wine in MDR was usually for one glass... Even if you had more than one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ok...just did the math.

final tally for 2: 41 mixed drinks, 64 beers, 31 cokes/waters, 2 glasses of wine (obviously not wine drinkers)

for mixed drinks i calculated roughly 20@7.00 (pina coladas), 10@6.50 (white russians), 11@8.00 (mix of things).

for beer it was roughly split 39 coronas/xx, 25 miller lites.

after tip it brings us to around 810.00. plus you get to keep the nice soda glasses that are convenient to take places.

so overall didnt save a lot of money....around 40-50 bucks maybe. convenience is a wash really since you have to sign for everything regardless. its nice to be able to throw away a warm drink, etc without having to worry about wasting your money.

we had 4 full sea days (including get away day). the excursion days are a killer for value assuming you drink on them (we did) because it kills you for the night.

also...hit a wall on Friday and didn't drink, hit it hard saturday.

very roughly:

Sunday(sea): 200

Monday(sea): 200

Tuesday(sea): 75 (mini wall)

Wednesday: 50 (drank on Roatan)

Thursday: 75

Friday: 25 (drank on Cozumel......MAJOR WALL HIT)

Saturday(sea): 200

The only drinks I saw them not making us sign for consistently were sodas. Bottled water was hit or miss. For drinks, we signed each time. Wine in MDR was usually for one glass... Even if you had more than one.

This was our same experience on our B2B on Jewel. We found that if the bar staff got to know you, then they would also allow you to order the two drinks if your spouse wasn't there at the time (ie if they were popping to the loo or something). We never abused this, the other one always arrived within minutes. Most bar staff also allowed you to sign for your spouse as it was the same stateroom. In the MDR we always signed for one glass when we would have two or three, either the first one, or the last one.

We decided to try out the drinks package on the first leg of our B2B to see if it was worth it before deciding about the second week. We found it was such a breeze to use, very convenient and found a couple of perks (refillable soft drinks and bottled water) that we hadn't anticipated or thought we wouldn't use. Amazing how a cold diet coke can quench your thirst the following morning after a fun night in the Schooner or Champagne bar! We also tried some lovely cocktails that we probably wouldn't have otherwise....

This is interesting . . . my wife keeps going back and forth on whether she'd drink enough to justify the expense. But if she could cancel it halfway through that might give her the sense that it's worth trying.

Does say you get on-board credit for cancelling as opposed to a refund. If you don't use up your credits do you get those back after the cruise?

I had basically the same experience on Freedom - signed for drinks 99% of the time, and less for bottled water. We tipped people who delivered drinks to us at the pool or shows and really awesome bartenders :)

This is interesting . . . my wife keeps going back and forth on whether she'd drink enough to justify the expense. But if she could cancel it halfway through that might give her the sense that it's worth trying.

Does say you get on-board credit for cancelling as opposed to a refund. If you don't use up your credits do you get those back after the cruise?

Yes, a package cancellation would be a refundable credit.

Was on IOS in April and didn't sign one time. The funny thing is that I did want the receipts to keep track of how much I was drinking each day. Never was asked to sign and I didn't ask why not. I got my money's worth every day except one and would do it again as long as the cruise is not port intensive.