on YTD, can I got back to MDR later for dessert?

LoriSan

On the last Miracle cruise I took I noticed a table with three ladies who had only wanted dessert and coffee and none of the wait staff batted an eye. They filled their cups and handed them dessert menus. I took notice because I thought it was a good idea. Why not? I don't think they will care if you want to do that.

For those of you who are saying it is rude to go back for dessert, I hope you have never eaten at the buffet for a meal and then gone back for a snack later. How rude to make the staff clean up after you again!! You should have taken your snack to go! Or... would that then be rude to leave that mess for your poor cabin steward??:eek: Just silly!!!

OP, if the maître d says it is ok then by all means go enjoy. If you feel bad about using a MDR table twice per night you could consider increasing your tip by visiting guest services and requesting an additional amount be applied appropriately.

"For those of you who are saying it is rude to go back for dessert, I hope you have never eaten at the buffet for a meal and then gone back for a snack later. How rude to make the staff clean up after you again!! You should have taken your snack to go! Or... would that then be rude to leave that mess for your poor cabin steward??:eek: Just silly!!!"

That's exactly what we do, we take it to our cabin and eat it later. At the buffet you wait on yourself. Do you order room service? What do you do with the empty plates? :rolleyes:

"For those of you who are saying it is rude to go back for dessert, I hope you have never eaten at the buffet for a meal and then gone back for a snack later. How rude to make the staff clean up after you again!! You should have taken your snack to go! Or... would that then be rude to leave that mess for your poor cabin steward??:eek: Just silly!!!"

That's exactly what we do, we take it to our cabin and eat it later. At the buffet you wait on yourself. Do you order room service? What do you do with the empty plates? :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want but you just enhanced my point. No matter what you do, someone will be cleaning up your mess (even in the buffet!!) so why is one option wrong and another is ok?

Depending on how late, they may not have a problem with it. However, it can cause some logistical problems and inconvenience to other YTD cruisers who prefer to go late if you're occupying a table twice.

I agree that going back into the MDR again late (after say 9:30PM) would not cause a problem with getting seated at an open table. At that hour there should be plenty. And because of the great hospitality found onboard, the MDR staff will not give you a hard time doing so.

But the real logistical problem is the gratuities. On your 1st visit, when the hostess greets you in the MDR you are asked for your S&S card and your folio is entered into the Silverware system assigning you your table and assigning your head waiter/assistant waiter the per person daily gratuities to that wait team.

If you come back to the MDR for a second time the daily tips can not be assigned again.

So if you do go back for a second time, they won't give you a hard time but it might be appropriate to go with a little cash in your pocket and maybe hand the waiter a few dollars and express your appreciation and gratitude. It will make you feel better about yourself and will be appreciated by a hard working crew member.

Edited by AdGuyMG

I love me some dessert, and I don't think the ones on the Lido compare to the MDR selections, but sometimes I am so full!! If I'm on YTD, can I go back later and be re-seated for dessert?

Are you under the assumption that YTD is in the Lido dining room? If not, why would you even mention the desserts on the Lido. YTD is in the second dining room that some ships have or in a specific portion of the dining room if there is only one dining room on the ship.

If you are really eating your dinner on the Lido deck, and they did not assign you a MDR table, then there may not be a table available for you when you go back. If you are on YTD in a dining room other than the Lido, then you probably could go back later but would have to take the tables available or wait for a table.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Last year on a Princess cruise with a group of friends we had the formal night dinner at 5:15. I had the Lobster, but also wanted the Beef Wellington. Even though I just had the melon appetizer I could not eat two meals at one sitting. About 9:20 my roommate started saying she was a little hungry. I said I was still thinking about the Beef Wellington. Well, we decided to eat another dinner in the MDR. We went to the dining room and asked if we could come in and just have the main course, it was no problem.

Not all Maître D's will let food out of the MDR.

Some Princess ships will let set-dining pax eat in the ATD MDR. So you can go back with either dining option. (Don't get the Creme Brûlée late in the evening. It's always soggy:( )

Best dessert onboard Carnival, IMHO, is the chocolate cake from room service.

Edited by SadieN

Are you under the assumption that YTD is in the Lido dining room? If not, why would you even mention the desserts on the Lido. YTD is in the second dining room that some ships have or in a specific portion of the dining room if there is only one dining room on the ship.

If you are really eating your dinner on the Lido deck, and they did not assign you a MDR table, then there may not be a table available for you when you go back. If you are on YTD in a dining room other than the Lido, then you probably could go back later but would have to take the tables available or wait for a table.

No, I am very clear on the difference between the YTD in the MDR and the Lido buffet. I mentioned the Lido, because I was expecting someone to come back and say "why don't you get dessert later from the buffet?" I like the MDR dessert offerings much better that the assortment on the buffet.

I will second the comment that on some ships they will not allow dessert to go.

While I haven't had a meal in the MDR and then returned that same night for dessert I have had an early dinner in the Steakhouse or on the Lido and then went to the MDR late for just dessert and coffee. This was really less work for the MDR staff and the steakhouse was well tipped from us.

Last year on a Princess cruise with a group of friends we had the formal night dinner at 5:15. I had the Lobster, but also wanted the Beef Wellington. Even though I just had the melon appetizer I could not eat two meals at one sitting. About 9:20 my roommate started saying she was a little hungry. I said I was still thinking about the Beef Wellington. Well, we decided to eat another dinner in the MDR. We went to the dining room and asked if we could come in and just have the main course, it was no problem.

I had the same situation before, and I simply ordered two entrees (and stuffed myself up). Now I know I have options.:rolleyes:

I agree that going back into the MDR again late (after say 9:30PM) would not cause a problem with getting seated at an open table. At that hour there should be plenty. And because of the great hospitality found onboard, the MDR staff will not give you a hard time doing so.

But the real logistical problem is the gratuities. On your 1st visit, when the hostess greets you in the MDR you are asked for your S&S card and your folio is entered into the Silverware system assigning you your table and assigning your head waiter/assistant waiter the per person daily gratuities to that wait team.

If you come back to the MDR for a second time the daily tips can not be assigned again.

So if you do go back for a second time, they won't give you a hard time but it might be appropriate to go with a little cash in your pocket and maybe hand the waiter a few dollars and express your appreciation and gratitude. It will make you feel better about yourself and will be appreciated by a hard working crew member.

Love this answer.

In my family we always take a two hour break before dessert and coffee. It makes dessert much more enjoyable.

Think I will take this plan of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk