Boxed Wine

Rusty Aligator

Quick question, has anyone successfully brought a box of wine aboard without any problem. I don't want to start a long forum, nor do I want to be flamed. I just have that quick question, and a simple answer is all I need. Thanx, in advance.:)

I knew this would happen. I just wanted a simple answer, and I opened a whole (cardboard) box of worms. Thanx to you all for your help, and for all the laughs. I really asked for it! "Let us toast to the fools: but for them the rest of us could not succeed" .....samuel l. clements R.A. and the Cat

As a side note, the Bota Box wines are actually quite good (as are the black box)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree - these are the only 2 boxed wines I'll drink (and they tend to be more expensive than others). They are certainly better than some of the wine in the wine packages!

I wonder,....if I DO get caught, (not saying I'm gonna do it), will they,..wink, wink, nudge, nudge, toss it away because it's out of the box, or will they return it at the end of the cruise. I probably will shy away from the whole thing b/c I'M NOT the one drinking it. I was just wondering....sigh.

As a side note, the Bota Box wines are actually quite good (as are the black box)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. there are some terrible wines in boxes, and therefore some people assume that all boxed wines must be terrible. Still, that packaging method can be used for a good wine or a bad one. Just as good wine and bad wine can both come in bottles.

I saved a post from CC member rotaryscotty from 2011; it helped me find bota box.

"I've taught wine classes and trained retail wine establishment employees for 20 years, so I feel somewhat qualified to have an opinion. In addition, wineries throughout the world have given me private tours and "put me up" on their properties. I'm past president of the Kansas Association of Beverage Retailers, and represented my state as a board member of the national liquor association for a number of years.

"I pride myself on finding the best values in every price range. And to fulfill that philosophy I've done a serious study of wines in all categories, including box wines. I will admit that I've never found a box wine that "knocked my socks off", but I've found a number of them that I wouldn't hesitate to serve to my closest wine aficiondao friends.

"I wouldn't normally do this but you have now inspired me to list some box wines that I definitely find pleasing. I know that I'm "asking for it" by doing this but you know, wine is subjective, which makes it so much fun. So attack if you must, somehow I will survive.

"So here is a general list:

In the red category (dry reds)- FROM THE TANK Vin Rouge...FOUR Cabernet Sauvignon...PINOT EVIL Pinot Noir...BIG HOUSE Red...FRENCH RABBIT Pinot Noir...BOTA BOX Old Vine Zinfandel...BOTA BOX Shiraz...QUELU Cabernet Sauvignon...BLACK BOX Cabernet Sauvignon...BANROCK STATION Shiraz...HARDY'S Cabernet Sauvignon.

"I'm a "red" wine person so I'll stop there. I WILL say, however, BLACK BOX Sauvignon Blanc is worth remembering." Though the list is now older, I am shring it here in hopes it might help somebody chose a tasty boxed wine rather than a nasty boxed wine.

OK so they actually have single serving boxed wine now - they come in what looks like kids' juice boxes. I bought some and took them to our last wine tasting (evil grin).

Some sommelier-wanna-be's were not amused :roll eyes:

Just had to share this with y'all.