Is it customary to tip at the specialty restaurants

CruiseFlee

Yes, if/when I tip extra, I use the line on the check to add an additional amount, which is covered by my OBC.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

We also use the line on the check to give an additional amount. Only once have we had the situation where the server did not deserve an additional gratuity.

Most of what was said is opinion and fiction. Every waiter I have ever spoken to either on ships or land prefer their tips in cash. Also the extra tips in specialty restaurants are not pooled.

Well it made sense........so don't know if fiction or not.

I DO know you're right about cash tips on land for sure.....since most of those wind up NOT reported to the IRS.

I've heard it both ways on the ships, and we've done both.....certainly never had anyone refuse cash tips for sure....

I DO think the spec. rest. tips are pooled at least within the staff that work your tables....no way the waiter assigned gets it all....

Well it made sense........so don't know if fiction or not.

I DO know you're right about cash tips on land for sure.....since most of those wind up NOT reported to the IRS.

I've heard it both ways on the ships, and we've done both.....certainly never had anyone refuse cash tips for sure....

I DO think the spec. rest. tips are pooled at least within the staff that work your tables....no way the waiter assigned gets it all....

I asked a high ranking officer who is responsible for that department on my last cruise and he stated extra tips are kept by the waiter who does take care of other people such as they would do in a land based restaurant. Since they are already getting a portion of the tip from the fee, it makes sense. There was more to his conversation over a beer but I don't wish to start any arguments on the board.

I asked a high ranking officer who is responsible for that department on my last cruise and he stated extra tips are kept by the waiter who does take care of other people such as they would do in a land based restaurant. Since they are already getting a portion of the tip from the fee, it makes sense. There was more to his conversation over a beer but I don't wish to start any arguments on the board.

No one ever argues on the boards.... ;)

HA! Neither do I. I wasn't speaking just of "extra" tips I meant their portion of the fee was pooled, which I thought you were saying were not... I stand corrected.

You hear so MANY different scenarios when it comes to these tips my only wish is that the staff gets to keep them all, however they might split them.:)

No one ever argues on the boards.... ;)

I agree, its just that some of the things said go against conventional wisdom and the fact that I'm out of here Monday for my next cruise precludes me bringing them up.

Edited by dkjretired

I agree, its just that some of the things said go against conventional wisdom and the fact that I'm out of here Monday for my next cruise precludes me bringing them up.

Have a great cruise and thanks, as you are a very valuable resource on this board because your opinions are based on fact.

Cheers!

The following always makes me smile a bit...

"Gute Fahrt" :D

Please keep us posted and enjoy!