Is it customary to tip at the specialty restaurants

CruiseFlee

Although we are not new to cruising, we are new to Specialty restaurant dining. We have reservations at the Millennium Olympic restaurant in a few weeks and would love to know about customary tipping procedure. Would welcome all advice:)

According to Celebrity, the cover charge for a specialty restaurant includes the tip, so no additional tipping is required. However, you are free to give an additional amount if you feel the wait staff was particularly attentive. The amount is entirely up to you.

Edited by boogs

The check for your service charge will have a line on it to add an additional tip for the staff, if you choose to give one, to be charged to your seapass account. We tip additional, over and beyond what is included in the service charge, most of the time as most of the time the service is great. I've never tipped cash here. If you are prepaid, and don't purchase any wine or drinks, so there is no additional charge then I still think they might bring you a slip with a line for a tip. If for some reason they don't and you'd like to tip just ask for a charge slip to add a tip - I'm certain they would be more than happy to bring you one.

We add an extra tip to the bill...usually $ 5 at Bistro....$10..Tuscan/LCG, $ 15 /$20 at Murano...always receive excellent service and staff has told us they prefer it added onto the bill...not sure why.,

Edited by hcat

We add an extra tip to the bill...usually $ 5 at Bistro....$10..Tuscan/LCG, $ 15 /$20 at Murano...always receive excellent service and staff has told us they prefer it added onto the bill...not sure why.,

Interesting, I would add to the bill if it is better for them.

I believe the extra on the bill goes to the server directly while cash goes into the general pot that is split amongst the servers in the restaurant.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

As others have said the Grats / Service Charge is included in your purchase.

If you don't have a Bevvy Pkg then any drinks purchased will be presented on a chit you sign... And there is a Tip Line on that where you add an amount if you like (in addition to the 15% that is automatically included in the price of a Bevvy for Grats)

Same thing if you didn't pre buy the meal thru the website, or an onboard promotion.... You'll be signing a chit.

It is my understanding that Wait Staff prefer that Extra Tips be added onto the chit because it is the one form of Customer Feedback that is documented for the Specialty Restaurants and particular staff members.

The issue with leaving Cash Tips on the ship... Is staff must report them to Celebrity. And if Regular Grats are not paid (not an issue in Specialty Dining) then the money goes into the Tip Pool

By leaving the extra tip on the chit... You are confirming you were extra pleased with the service and this can effect the wages / promotions / other bonuses (like time off) that a Staff Member receives.

And all that is VERY VALUABLE to the Service Staff onboard (exactly WHY they prompt Pax to fill out the Surveys etc)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

As others have said the Grats / Service Charge is included in your purchase.

If you don't have a Bevvy Pkg then any drinks purchased will be presented on a chit you sign... And there is a Tip Line on that where you add an amount if you like (in addition to the 15% that is automatically included in the price of a Bevvy for Grats)

Same thing if you didn't pre buy the meal thru the website, or an onboard promotion.... You'll be signing a chit.

It is my understanding that Wait Staff prefer that Extra Tips be added onto the chit because it is the one form of Customer Feedback that is documented for the Specialty Restaurants and particular staff members.

The issue with leaving Cash Tips on the ship... Is staff must report them to Celebrity. And if Regular Grats are not paid (not an issue in Specialty Dining) then the money goes into the Tip Pool

By leaving the extra tip on the chit... You are confirming you were extra pleased with the service and this can effect the wages / promotions / other bonuses (like time off) that a Staff Member receives.

And all that is VERY VALUABLE to the Service Staff onboard (exactly WHY they prompt Pax to fill out the Surveys etc)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

It DOES help and makes more sense than anything else I've read about adding tips to checks, thanks for your thoughts!!

One of our cruise perks is pre-paid gratuities. Are additional tips included in those pre-paid gratuities for specialty restaurants?

No. The pre-paid gratuities is only for your stateroom attendants and support people and your wait staff in the MDR and their support people. The extra fare for the specialty restaurants covers the tip for your waiter and his support people.

One of our cruise perks is pre-paid gratuities. Are additional tips included in those pre-paid gratuities for specialty restaurants?

No "additional" tips are included at all in the pre-paid gratuities.

The prepaid gratuities cover the basic gratuities for the regular food service staff, stateroom staff and certain other service staff on the ship. The basic gratuities are $12/pp per night in standard staterooms and slightly higher in Concierge, Aqua and Suites.

However once your "basic" gratuities are covered, either through prepayment or auto charge to your onboard account, you do not have to worry about taking care of any staff. All gratuities will be either included in the basic gratuities or automatically charged with certain purchases such as the 15% service charge on beverage purchase or the gratuity being included in the specialty restaurant cover charge.

Some guests choose to add additional gratuities beyond the basic amounts due to their personal customs, practices and economic position. This is common where one finds service merits it. This is no different from someone who normally tips a certain percentage in most restaurants but tips a higher percentage if they get really good service.

We are among those who tip additional for great service. But at the some time no one should feel obligated to do so. It is something you only need to do if you choose to and once you've taken care of the basic gratuities you can rest assured you have not stiffed the staff.

Edited by Lsimon

Although we are not new to cruising, we are new to Specialty restaurant dining. We have reservations at the Millennium Olympic restaurant in a few weeks and would love to know about customary tipping procedure. Would welcome all advice:)

IMHO, No. We get too tip happy on a cruise. They are no different than MDR, except we pay more.

I don't know if it is customary, but I leave $5 per person in cash when I eat at the specialty restaurant.

Does anyone know how the waiting staff are receiving the gratuity? As a percentage of the restaurant price or as a fix amount per guest?

If it is a percentage, will their income be reduced by the ship offering the passengers reduced prices during on-board promotions?

And what is with their income with regard to the free speciality restaurant visits the suite passengers receive?

This will be useful information as I would consider it when visiting the speciality restaurants.

Thanks for the replies to my question.

I agree 100% with the above comment pertaining to mentioning crew who provide excellent service on comment cards, surveys, etc. Stating how well one has performed their job goes miles and miles!

It DOES help and makes more sense than anything else I've read about adding tips to checks, thanks for your thoughts!!

Most of what was said is opinion and fiction. Every waiter I have ever spoken to either on ships or land prefer their tips in cash. Also the extra tips in specialty restaurants are not pooled.

Every waiter I have ever spoken to either on ships or land prefer their tips in cash. Also the extra tips in specialty restaurants are not pooled.

We've often wondered about tip splitting/pooling when handing some cash to the Maitre'd for the waiters and assistants who served us. I now have the distinct impression that the general vs the official practice are at odds.

I also wonder if there is a difference in the amount of the suggested tip when the meal is comped, offered at a discount of 20% or two for one special as opposed to paying the full fare at $50 pp.

Those who do not make use of the MDR where the gratuities are designated for those who do, might feel that the tips are already included. :confused: