Advantages Booking Direct w/ MSC?

IJustWantToGo36

Since it seems all agencies are the same, and I don;t have a TA I am loyal to, is there any advantage or disadvantage to booking direct w/ MSC?

Please do not give general benefits of a TA. IF TA is not giving any bennies and I know what I want, I don't need professional advice.

I am asking specific to MSC.

Thank you

Since it seems all agencies are the same, and I don;t have a TA I am loyal to, is there any advantage or disadvantage to booking direct w/ MSC?

Please do not give general benefits of a TA. IF TA is not giving any bennies and I know what I want, I don't need professional advice.

I am asking specific to MSC.

Thank you

No advantages at all, they will lie about there room sizes unless you ask them to look up the size on a particular room and for that you are better off asking here on this site.

I had one advantage booking through a travel agent in that I was able to access better pricing by using a US agent than I could get through going direct to MSC here in Aus/NZ.

But I didn't really like doing it. I am one who needs to retain control and be managing all the little details and it irked me to have someone else there. Others may find that reassuring or helpful. I have time to read and research and I like to do so. If you aren't that kind of person but want to just book and go, then it might be better having a travel agent who will remind you of what needs to be done when.

I didn't get any other benefits such as onboard credit etc, wine in stateroom etc.

I have since booked another cruise through a different US agent - simply because they will give me $300 on board credit. She has stuffed it up a few times already though so i am working for my $300!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

On a cruise where most cheap cabins are offered GTY, would i be correct in saying that TAs don't have access to the available stateroom list?

Reason for asking: I'm about to pull trigger on Sept. Divina w/ inside GTY.

We like no traffic locations like back of ship far from elevator, which most people hate.

If we are assigned a GREAT (poor for us) location, would MSC agents be more likely to make change then TAs?

THANKS

On a cruise where most cheap cabins are offered GTY, would i be correct in saying that TAs don't have access to the available stateroom list?

We like no traffic locations like back of ship far from elevator, which most people hate.

If we are assigned a GREAT (poor for us) location, would MSC agents be more likely to make change then TAs?

THANKS

Well it would help if I knew which country you are based in. The arrangements with travel agent versus booking direct differs depending on this.

In the UK I find I'm more likely to get something changed or fixed booking direct with MSC. That isn't necessarily a huge plus for MSC UK customer service but more a reflection of UK TAs who have preferential answering lines for when you are making a booking but not that interested in admin tasks or dealing with requests or changes after bookings are made! unless you want to do something that generates more commission for them. So when they tell you it can't be done or MSC says "No", you don't know if they even asked.

Depending on how you ask and who you get, you may well get a switch on a GTY assignment if you speak to them and nicely ask if there is by any chance another cabin available that better suits your needs. In my experience some of them will try to assist. Then again, (especially with European sailings with multiple boarding points) cabin allocation is sometimes controlled centrally and there may not be much that office can do to get you the cabin location you want and you'll be stuck with what the terms of a guarantee cabin.

Still worth trying speaking to them and expressing your preference. If you don't ask, you won't get!

A disadvantage to not booking with them is that if you book via a TA the useless website will not allow you to book any onboard services at all and you have to book them via the TA you booked with. (Confirmed by MSC themselves)

This means that you have to pay in advance for these services and you will not accrue club points because you have paid prior to sailing which means it does not count towards onboard spend!

You have to wonder if they are now trying to stop people reaching a certain level within the club!

Edited by sidari

A disadvantage to not booking with them is that if you book via a TA the useless website will not allow you to book any onboard services at all and you have to book them via the TA you booked with. (Confirmed by MSC themselves)

This means that you have to pay in advance for these services and you will not accrue club points because you have paid prior to sailing which means it does not count towards onboard spend!

I've pre-booked Allegrissimo through my TA for my upcoming cruise. You don't have to prepay if your TA contacts MSC directly to have it added to your booking and not through their own account.

I personally prefer to deal with the company. I booked through MSC directly, I called them to book my beverage pkg. Yes, the wait time is approx. 20 mins. on the phone and I also have emailed and always gotten a quick response. There website is bad for booking extras, but they can always be reached by phone. They will do it for you and send you confirmation.

I've pre-booked Allegrissimo through my TA for my upcoming cruise. You don't have to prepay if your TA contacts MSC directly to have it added to your booking and not through their own account.

I did the same for a beverage pkg. I had my TA do it, but he told me I could have done it on line, I just didn't look into it enough.

Incorrect. I booked via TA and was able to pre-order drink packages via MSC website without paying. I was NOT able to order by phoning MSC myself (there's 30 minutes I'll never get back). :rolleyes:

THANKS

If you book a GTY you can get a cabin anywhere on the ship. You can ask if it can be changed but unlikely so if you want a specific location you really need to pay the extra and book in the location you want.

It is different here in North America as we can still book Allegrissimo packages and excursions through the website and pay on board, even if we have booked through a TA.

You can access your online information and book services at the MSC website even if you book through a travel agent. So far I have done that with Royal Caribbean (2012) and 2 MSC cruises (2014 and 2015).

The only problem is that it takes a while for MSC website to recognize your booking after it has been made, maybe 4 or 5 weeks. But it does work.

The TA has to give you the MSC code, which ours always had.

We prefer booking with a TA because the price is the same, so we prefer them to have the commission and also we find they are more professional.

Incorrect. I booked via TA and was able to pre-order drink packages via MSC website without paying. I was NOT able to order by phoning MSC myself (there's 30 minutes I'll never get back).

Tipsy T ... Incorrect ?

Beam ... here is the response from MSC UK !

The only options are to pre book and pay with Iglu or book on board, we have tried to see if they are available online for you, however without luck. (As if i had not already tried myself)

If you wish to further this enquiry, then please email customerservice@msccruises.co.uk

Edited by sidari

Incorrect. I booked via TA and was able to pre-order drink packages via MSC website without paying. I was NOT able to order by phoning MSC myself (there's 30 minutes I'll never get back).

Tipsy T ... Incorrect ?

The only options are to pre book and pay with Iglu or book on board, we have tried to see if they are available online for you, however without luck. (As if i had not already tried myself)

If you wish to further this enquiry, then please email customerservice@msccruises.co.uk

Have you considered it may be Iglu that have struck that deal with MSC so they get the be fit of your money for several weeks before they finally pass on to MSC? They may also get a commission for it too.

Sid, it's incredibly frustrating when some people seem to get things working in their favour when it's nigh-on impossible for you.

My recent sailing was part of an overall guided tour to Italy with cruise included. MSC deemed me as being part of a group and would not allow me prebook. However, at embarkation, there was no problem buying the drinks package which incurred the 15%!

I'm in YC next week and decided to get the Allegrissimo as I'll be spending most evenings in the entertainment venues. I rang my TA in June to prebook as I knew I wouldn't be able to access my account until a couple of weeks before the cruise and I don't trust the MSC website! I received this by email from her at the time:

I emailed MSC and they won’t allow me to pre-book the Allegrissimo package and you pay on board but they said if you go online you can book it.

I went onto http://www.msccruises.ie , logged into your account and added it … see the below confirmation.

In effect, what she did was use my MSC booking number on the website as though she were me. I now know (for future reference) that the TA is given the relevant number from the time of booking so I'll be seeking it from them myself to check into my account without having to wait for the tickets (with the number) to issue.

Edited by Beamafar

Hi Marie ... On our first cruise on Poesia a repo to FLL we were told by MSC that the Allegrissimo was not available, once onboard we were able to book it with the 15% added! on the Opera sailing we booked via the website and on the Divina repo to Miami we were again told that the Allegrissimo was not available apart from the Expensive one but managed to book it via MSC by e mail after something like three months of backwards and forwards!

All three cruises were booked via Iglu.

Beam ... We have our MSC reference number for the cruise, so when i log into the website using my mail address and password i can add the reference number ship, sailing date etc which is supposed to allow me to book onboard services. No one at MSC appears to be able to tell me why we cannot book them!

Beam ... We have our MSC reference number for the cruise, so when i log into the website using my mail address and password i can add the reference number ship, sailing date etc which is supposed to allow me to book onboard services. No one at MSC appears to be able to tell me why we cannot book them!

I reckon - and I'm only guessing, mind - that there's a code somewhere in your booking number preventing this - something the website would recognise to block prebooking eg say the first 3 numbers which could indicate that your booking is linked with others implying you're part of a group or travelling with others :confused:

Beam ... No idea about that but have had a message come up saying contact the TA you booked with! just talking online with my cousin who lives in Florida and he sent me this ....

met a nice guy today who was the regional marketing manager for MSC for the SE US. Said he quit and went to Scenic because he got tired of making excuses for their screwup`s he was talking about MSC building all these new ships - and he doesn't think they'll be able to fill them unless they shape up.

Have to agree with this guy.

Beam ... No idea about that but have had a message come up saying contact the TA you booked with! just talking online with my cousin who lives in Florida and he sent me this ....

met a nice guy today who was the regional marketing manager for MSC for the SE US. Said he quit and went to Scenic because he got tired of making excuses for their screwup`s he was talking about MSC building all these new ships - and he doesn't think they'll be able to fill them unless they shape up.

Have to agree with this guy.

I wonder if your TA should try what mine did - access your account via the website and prebook the package for you.

On the subject of working for MSC - I can only imagine the stress endured by staff! How creative they have to be when dealing with customers' angst!

When I reached Gold level I rang MSC to have my card (and gold pin) issued as I was booked on another cruise soon after. I received the card in the post but NO PIN. I rang to let them know this. I was told they only gave pins in certain markets! That, in addition to other unresolved issues, drove me to air my grievances on their Facebook page. I was requested there to contact their customer services so I did, informing them that I was phoning as advised. The rep informed me that they were phasing out the gold pins in the UK market but, (wait for it!), "we have a few left in stock so, AS A GOODWILL GESTURE(!!) we'll send you one"! Since then I don't know how many posts I've read on this site where people from UK received pins after attaining gold level without having to request them let alone almost beg!

If you book a GTY you can get a cabin anywhere on the ship. You can ask if it can be changed but unlikely so if you want a specific location you really need to pay the extra and book in the location you want.

For many Divina sailings, there are no options to choose an inside cabin.

Everything is GTY, thus my question.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to wonder if they are now trying to stop people reaching a certain level within the club!

That's NOT accurate. It's VERY confusing to prebook packages, but NOT impossible. We sail September 27 on Divina and ive prebooked (but not paid for) a 7 bottle wine package and 3 voucher books.

We are booking from the US and used a TA. On the MSC website, you DO NOT log into your account first z- doing that is what causes the "contact your TA" notice. You go to the tab that says "book your packages" and order what you want. At the end, the site will ask for your reservation number (on our invouce from our TA), names, DOB, sailing date, and ship. The site then attaches it to the reservation. Now it does show up when I log into My MSC at the front end of the process. Nevertheless, I will certainly be carrying printed copies of my preorder (but unpaid) receipts.

I have no idea what Iglu is.

Edited by jkgourmet

On the MSC website, you DO NOT log into your account first z- doing that is what causes the "contact your TA" notice. You go to the tab that says "book your packages" and order what you want. At the end, the site will ask for your reservation number (on our invouce from our TA), names, DOB, sailing date, and ship. The site then attaches it to the reservation. Now it does show up when I log into My MSC at the front end of the process. Nevertheless, I will certainly be carrying printed copies of my preorder (but unpaid) receipts.

It doesn't always work. I'm trying to prebook the premium allegrissimo package for my repo on Preziosa in March. I've taken the steps necessary which bring me to the only option of Allegrissimo (basic). Out of curiosity I selected it - I now have a page up with the information regarding the packages along with my booking details and a notification saying "‹ Reservation on-Board" written exactly as I have with the arrow which I assume is referring me back to the previous page.

I haven't asked my TA to prebook it, yet, but I am NOT prepared to pay an extra 15% on top of the price of a drinks package over the course of a 20 night sailing when MSC themselves claim that these packages can be prebooked.