Warning: parents with kids on Regal/Royal please read

xdudex

And of course' date=' they are basing their hires on how many kids that have booked. They do know the quantity of kids per age that have booked at final payment time and odds are, the numbers aren't going to drastically change from those levels.

As I said, they have just changed the school calendars for the Los Angeles school district (which according to their website is over 600,000 students) a few years ago...and many of parents weren't too happy especially in this area of LA where it's generally over 100 degrees til sometime in October. It's decisions like this that make me glad my child is graduating in June. This was the first week of school for her school since the administration there likes to be different (most schools started last week) and yesterday she said it was way too hot when she left her senior homeroom to go to her first class.[/quote']

My wife started teaching (high school) this semester and her first day of classes was August 7th. It felt pretty early--the summer heat is definitely still with us.

The manager has given the explanation that the shaped of the Pelicans room (l-shape) means there is a blind spot within the room that prevents them seeing children at some times.

Amazing what they could see with a properly positioned mirror.

princess are paying staff member they aren't using, I guess they're enjoying their extra days off ashore though ;)

You stated this earlier, and I really do not think this is true at all. Princess staff members do not go ashore and enjoy their extra days off when not working. Their days off are few and far between and I am fairly sure that if they aren't working their regular jobs, they are assigned elsewhere. Your comment is an assumption, born from your anger, not an established fact.

Sorry that your cruise is being ruined by this.

I was on Regal 25/7 to 6/8 with 2 kids. My daughter spent masses of time in Shockwaves and confirms the other two rooms were open and that the Pelicans were never merged with the older group. I have nothing but praise for the kids club and its staff on Regal. IMHO the situation as described by the OP is a mixture of misunderstanding, differences between port day routines and evening / at sea routines, and a good sprinkling of hysteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I learned nothing else from this thread I learned that I'm glad that I grew up in NY where school doesn't start before Labor Day. I couldn't imagine starting school in early August. Heck the water at the beach is just starting to warm up in August. Towards the end of the school year in May and June the classrooms started getting hot and even the first two weeks in Sept can be scorchers. Our schools do not have air conditioning and being over heated causes you to zone out especially if it's during a class you are not interested in to begin with. Even the Colleges on Long Island usually don't start until after Labor Day.

If I learned nothing else from this thread I learned that I'm glad that I grew up in NY where school doesn't start before Labor Day. I couldn't imagine starting school in early August. Heck the water at the beach is just starting to warm up in August. Towards the end of the school year in May and June the classrooms started getting hot and even the first two weeks in Sept can be scorchers. Our schools do not have air conditioning and being over heated causes you to zone out especially if it's during a class you are not interested in to begin with. Even the Colleges on Long Island usually don't start until after Labor Day.

Here in Nebr., school used to start around Aug. 28, or after Labor Day, unless Labor Day was very late. It's gradually started inching back into August until now most schools start around the 14th, a few a week earlier.

We do get out of school much earlier than, say, most NY schools--depending on snow days. It was May 21 this year; it used to be about May 14.

I used to teach, and in the days before AC, often in early Sept., which can be very hot here, my classroom temp would be over 90 degrees by 11:00; any real learning is almost impossible in those conditions. We'd often get out at 1 because of heat.

Now most all schools are air conditioned, so the heat isn't a factor, except for sports, but I still wish school didn't start until about Sept. 1st. It just makes summer seem too short. June and July were rather cool this year while August has had day after day of perfect summer weather and the water temp is finally wonderful too.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Some schools here in Central Ohio started August 7. Unheard of when I was young and when our DD was in school. I wonder if it is because we had so many, many snow days last year that they are giving themselves some extra room.

Here is a copy of one page from the kids club schedule for my recent Regal Cruise. It shows the difference between in port/at sea and (with the exception of Mykonos where we sailed early) shows how the kids club main hours were always limited to 1800-2200 when a port day.

So is that what the OP is contesting? ONLY the port day hours? :confused:

If so, having been a Princess rep. for 3 yrs., he should know that they rarely ever have a kids' club during port days. The kids are assumed to be with their parents in port.

So is that what the OP is contesting? ONLY the port day hours? :confused:

No. You should read the original post. There is so much extraneous stuff in this thread, it's hard to follow.

Contrary to Princess policy (as advertised) the manager of the children's facilities closed the younger kids' rooms every day, during the day. These younger kids were then sent to the bigger kids' rooms (which are designed for big kids with bigger furniture, lack of protective surfaces, older activities including crafts with scissors, etc.) The OP is a family member of a child who should have been in the younger group but who did not want to attend because she didn't feel comfortable with all the bigger kids and their big kid activities. The OP investigated all of this at the request of the child's parents. Part of that investigation involved finding out what corporate offices had to say. They said they thought the centers should all be open as Princess advertised, and that they thought that was the case with the Regal. Talking to various officials on the ship produced no satisfactory answers for the OP. The manager of the child center told the OP they couldn't use the younger kids' room because the shape of it made it impossible to see all the children at once. This makes no sense, since they are using the room as intended in the evenings when, ostensibly, the shape of the room remains the same. The OP thinks this is a matter of bad management, and I agree.

This issue is not about whether the OP is or is not the parent of the child, whether ship staff do or do not go ashore, what time school starts at any given time anywhere in the world, how one person's experience differed, or how lazy parents like to dump their kids off with babysitters so they can live it up in the bars. The issue is that Princess advertised something and then failed to deliver.

No. You should read the original post. There is so much extraneous stuff in this thread, it's hard to follow.

Contrary to Princess policy (as advertised) the manager of the children's facilities closed the younger kids' rooms every day, during the day. These younger kids were then sent to the bigger kids' rooms (which are designed for big kids with bigger furniture, lack of protective surfaces, older activities including crafts with scissors, etc.) The OP is a family member of a child who should have been in the younger group but who did not want to attend because she didn't feel comfortable with all the bigger kids and their big kid activities. The OP investigated all of this at the request of the child's parents. Part of that investigation involved finding out what corporate offices had to say. They said they thought the centers should all be open as Princess advertised, and that they thought that was the case with the Regal. Talking to various officials on the ship produced no satisfactory answers for the OP. The manager of the child center told the OP they couldn't use the younger kids' room because the shape of it made it impossible to see all the children at once. This makes no sense, since they are using the room as intended in the evenings when, ostensibly, the shape of the room remains the same. The OP thinks this is a matter of bad management, and I agree.

This issue is not about whether the OP is or is not the parent of the child, whether ship staff do or do not go ashore, what time school starts at any given time anywhere in the world, how one person's experience differed, or how lazy parents like to dump their kids off with babysitters so they can live it up in the bars. The issue is that Princess advertised something and then failed to deliver.

Well said. Breaks down the relevant issues and makes things easy to understand. I hope the OP is enjoying her cruise. My 11 year old granddaughter will be going on her first cruise next Spring and I know from watching how she interacts with her 3 and 5 year old cousins that it would ruin her cruise if Pelican and Shockwaves were mixed. She just watched this videe and is really excited.

Edited by billco