Cost of RCI stock, benifits?

I would like to know what is the cost per share, how long do you need to own it to receive benifits and what are they, what is the web site for this info if any? Sounds like the profits may be going up due to no booze in the room, I think it may be a good buy, but I am new to buying stock, could any one help me out before I call my source to buy the stock for me. Thanks in advance for any info.

but I am new to buying stock, could any one help me out before I call my source to buy the stock for me.

Do not consult this board for recommendations/advise for investment decisions. That needs to be done between you and a financial consultant. As far as the ownership benefit, that's at http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/nys/rcl/reports/Shareholder_Benefit_2005.pdf.

The cost is between $45-$50 right now. You must have 100 shares. Don't think "logic" will work in figuring whether it is a good buy or not as we have watched many times as RCI announces a "banner year" or something good and the stock price then falls.............:confused: On the positive side, there is that $100 on board credit per cruise....:D

So say a quarter of all passengers on a ship carrying 2,500 people used to spend the $9.50. Now they won't. So that's 625 * 9.50, or let's round up to an even $6,000 that they aren't getting in the consumption fee. So the 625 were buying for their travel companion, so now thats 1,250 folks who need to buy more alcohol. So say they each buy 10 more drinks than they would have, so that's 12,500 drinks, and the line makes, what, maybe $4 profit on each one? That means their new gross is $50,000. Subtract out the $6,000 they are losing to the consumption fee, and that's down to $44,000. They are also losing the profit on the booze that the folks were buying in the ship's store, so let's just guess, 625 * $5 per bottle, or another $3,125 lost profit.

So the net gain in profit, using these "out of the air" numbers is just a tad over $40,000.

Now considering a ship on a week long cruise will burn literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel, which as we all know has been skyrocketing over the past few months... I don't really think the profitibility for the cruise lines is looking all that stellar at the moment.

As was said before, unless you cruise a LOT, it probably isn't the smartest thing to get investment advice on a message board! :)

Theron

profit on the booze that the folks were buying in the ship's store,

Profit? Hard to speculate on the income perspective of onboard merchandise/services spending without knowing the agreement Royal Caribbean has with its contractors. Starboard Cruise Services does the merchandise/jewelry/alcohol concessions, but we're not privy to how, how much, or even if they share income/profits with cruise line. Same with Steiner Leisure, who runs the spas/salons. They pay to be onboard, but do they have to share their profits (which, by the way, have been substantial)?

RCL stock has been a good investment over the years, but the stockholder's benefits to avid cruisers pays off instantly and continously. I have owned shares (only 100) for many years and usually cruise at least twice a year. The amount of on board credit issued by RCL is not by how many shares you have, but rather by the length of the cruise. We did an 11 day last Aug. - 10 day in Feb. - and a 9 day next week; all earned us a $200.00 on board credit or consider it a dividend of of about 14% return - not bad when looked at in that as a return on an investment. Oh, by the way I purchased those 100 share at less than $35.00 per share and use the credit on both of the RCL brands.

I would like to know what is the cost per share,

I think it may be a good buy, but I am new to buying stock,

could any one help me out before I call my source to buy the stock for me.

Let's see - you do not know what the stock price is, nor where to find it, but you think it's a good buy, and you haven't bought stock before?

How do you know if the stock is a good buy without knowing the price?

And you are going to call "your source" to buy the stock for you?

Unbelievable.

Howard

Never, ever, buy a stock because of a small benefit to shareholders. Yes, the shipboard credit is a nice perk, but should not be a major consideration in a purchase decision. You have to evaluate eveything including fuel prices, labor costs, competition, etc., etc.. Even then, stock prices are subject to events beyond the control of the corporation. If you have never invested before and don't know how to find the price of a stock, make yourself a promise to take the time to learn, read, discuss, etc.. If you have no inclination to do that, stick with mutual funds, certificates of deposit, or savings bonds.

Howard: what is so unbelievable

So I said I did not do this before, I only did the IRA's before and never did stocks on my own (pick one out) without it being in a package, so what are you saying Howard? So what is so unbelievable?

What is unbelievable is how you can say you think it may be a good buy without even knowing the stock price. Better yet, you seem to think that profits may be going up due to no booze in the room.

You think no booze in the room is going to make up for the cost of fuel when oil is pushing $70 a barrel and expected to go even higher?

That is what is so unbelievable.

I generally would never advise someone to go see a financial advisor, but in your case, you were given good advice.

Howard

I have owned RCCL stock since it went public. As a result of a split, 2 for 1 and purchase at low cost I have made out well.

Over the last few years they gave stockholders shipboard credits when sailing RCI or Celebrity. I have not seen anything this year that they are still doing this. My daughter who also owns RCCL stock has not seen anything about them still giving out this benefit either.

I have owned RCCL stock since it went public. As a result of a split, 2 for 1 and purchase at low cost I have made out well.

Over the last few years they gave stockholders shipboard credits when sailing RCI or Celebrity. I have not seen anything this year that they are still doing this. My daughter who also owns RCCL stock has not seen anything about them still giving out this benefit either.

Well, they are. Click on the link in Post #2 of this thread.

Archived