First time HAL cruisers

forwardho

This is my first post and our first HAL cruise. My husband, his brother and wife and myself will be sailing on the Oosterdam 09 Aug 2015 Alaska Southbound after a 5 day/4night land tour (DL5) starting from Fairbanks. We will be celebrating my retirement of 36 years of teaching! I have enjoying reading and learning from all you experienced cruisers. I have been lurking since July!Thank you for all the tips you have shared. I can't find the listing on the Roll Call but hopefully I will figured all these things out.

Jill

This is my first post and our first HAL cruise. My husband, his brother and wife and myself will be sailing on the Oosterdam 09 Aug 2015 Alaska Southbound after a 5 day/4night land tour (DL5) starting from Fairbanks. We will be celebrating my retirement of 36 years of teaching! I have enjoying reading and learning from all you experienced cruisers. I have been lurking since July!Thank you for all the tips you have shared. I can't find the listing on the Roll Call but hopefully I will figured all these things out.

Jill

Hi Jill...Welcome to Cruise Critic..

No one has started your roll call yet, but there is one for Aug 2, so you might find some info there...I'm sure someone will be starting your roll call within the next few months..

In the meantime, our Host Walt has started a thread for first time cruisers on HAL..Just click on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088428

You might start to read this thread & post any questions you have there..Or even start a new thread..But before starting a new thread, suggest you use the search function to see if the topic has been covered recently..If it's an old thread, you can bring it forward to see if there have been changes..

It's good that you are doing your land portion first.. We did ours that way, & found by the time we boarded, we were exhausted in a nice way..HAL has excellent land tours of Alaska..Our southbound cruise was a very restful cruise for us..

Also congratulations on your retirement..Hope you enjoy it..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks everyone! Sue1898, I do have a few questions for you. Did you have any time in Anchorage to sight see the morning of the cruise train? Or should we plan on doing the walking tour after dinner the night we arrive? Also, the cruise train to Steward is 12:30 to 5:30, we are schedule for the 5:45 dinner time slot. Did they make different arrangements for dinner for the cruisetrain people?

Thanks everyone! Sue1898, I do have a few questions for you. Did you have any time in Anchorage to sight see the morning of the cruise train? Or should we plan on doing the walking tour after dinner the night we arrive? Also, the cruise train to Steward is 12:30 to 5:30, we are schedule for the 5:45 dinner time slot. Did they make different arrangements for dinner for the cruisetrain people?

We had to be at the gathering spot for the bus to the train station at 7:30 AM so no time to look around Anchorage that morning. We were bussed from Denali to Seward to meet the ship and due to road construction and accidents there were many late buses so the ship departure was delayed by a couple of hours. We have late dining and made it on time and I don't recall hearing that the early diners had issues so I think they must have accommodated them but I don't know specifically how that was done.