Initial Thoughts on Today's Reveal?

Initial thoughts on the technology reveal?

My thoughts were that there is some really cool technology that they're introducing, but for the CC members, we already knew about the increased bandwidth and had some ideas about how they were going to use it.

Here's what I got: WOW Bands - I've seen these at Disney World in later revisions (earlier rollouts at Disney World, from what I've read were not that great), and, if deployed right, are awesome.

A good example of this is the ability to logon to your app and see where the longest and shortest lines are. Use the data right, and you'll rarely have to wait in line.

For those without the app, it is a bit difficult, but the installation of kiosks would make it so that everyone can see wait times.

That said, I'm not sure that they're going to deploy to that level, or simply provide you with a wearable seapass card.

Was one of the More to Come areas the Bionic Bar?

Luggage tracking and some other smart features are great additions. I'm really happy to see this make it to the cruise ship.

I just wish that we had that more to come reveal that we've all been waiting for.

We did see some interior spaces on the slideshow before the talk. It was great to see some of the spaces coming together.

I don't know that I was underwhelmed, but I would say that I was hoping for some other details that we still don't have.

I guess we'll have to wait for next month's reveal! Oof!

What were your thoughts?

Initial thought?

I don't have confidence in Royal Caribbean's IT department being able to get all of these integrated systems up and running smoothly and reliably. It took a reported $1.5 billion for Walt Disney World to deploy their RFID bands with integrated app based reservations, tap to pay, tap for entry, and virtual queuing. And even with all that money spent it had some significant flaws for the first 6 months or so.

I haven't seen anything from Royal Caribbean yet which makes me think they can pull off such a complicated IT project. Shoot, when they can't even fix an ongoing issue with their reservation system which causes cruises to be repriced when you do something simple (like put a special dietary note on your reservation), that doesn't really show me they're ready to take on a much more complex project.

Edited by UCF_Knight

Initial thoughts on the technology reveal?

My thoughts were that there is some really cool technology that they're introducing, but for the CC members, we already knew about the increased bandwidth and had some ideas about how they were going to use it.

Here's what I got: WOW Bands - I've seen these at Disney World in later revisions (earlier rollouts at Disney World, from what I've read were not that great), and, if deployed right, are awesome.

A good example of this is the ability to logon to your app and see where the longest and shortest lines are. Use the data right, and you'll rarely have to wait in line.

For those without the app, it is a bit difficult, but the installation of kiosks would make it so that everyone can see wait times.

That said, I'm not sure that they're going to deploy to that level, or simply provide you with a wearable seapass card.

Was one of the More to Come areas the Bionic Bar?

Luggage tracking and some other smart features are great additions. I'm really happy to see this make it to the cruise ship.

I just wish that we had that more to come reveal that we've all been waiting for.

We did see some interior spaces on the slideshow before the talk. It was great to see some of the spaces coming together.

I don't know that I was underwhelmed, but I would say that I was hoping for some other details that we still don't have.

I guess we'll have to wait for next month's reveal! Oof!

What were your thoughts?

I ditto the WOW bands as I have seen those really be a key asset in WDW.

The app too sounds like it will be very useful and can help disperse folks around the ship as there will be lines for things like North Star and the bumper cars.

The high speed internet at sea was probably the best thing they announced.

We thought the Allure had pretty good internet in 2013, so I was surprised earlier this year when we were on Independence how crappy that internet was, even though she had just come out of dry dock.

I am not sure when they will tell us about the More to Come spaces, there ain't much time left! I guess RCI is going to squeeze as much publicity out of this thing as they can muster.

With exception to being able to know when your queue is coming up resulting from great bandwidth, I could care less about hopping on my phone and wasting time when there's so much to see, experience & enjoy on the transAtlantic. My uploads can wait till we're back in US. Plus, I'm sure that it probably doesn't come for free!

With exception to being able to know when your queue is coming up resulting from great bandwidth, I could care less about hopping on my phone and wasting time when there's so much to see, experience & enjoy on the transAtlantic. My uploads can wait till we're back in US. Plus, I'm sure that it probably doesn't come for free!

Apparently the Royal IQ is a free service, because you would be using an intranet and not the internet.

Apparently the Royal IQ is a free service, because you would be using an intranet and not the internet.

Nothing is ever really free - if you don't see a $$ sign, then the cost is buried in the fare. OTOH - I can't wait to see the pricing on the no-so-free stuff;)

So this means they are CUTTING MORE from being a diamond member. If anybody can use the SMART checkin-in, then everyone has priority boarding, so it's not a benefit anymore!

Robotic bar tenders? Cool in theory, but I be they'll be broken down a lot.

A+ on sustainability upgrades. I like this

As for connectivity? I want LESS on vacation. Not more.

I want a paper cruise compass than I can forget is in my pocket when I jump in the pool, but it still works afterwords. I don't want to carry around a tablet, or cell phone, or have to wear a goofy looking wristband just to enjoy my vacation.

Initial thought?

I don't have confidence in Royal Caribbean's IT department being able to get all of these integrated systems up and running smoothly and reliably. It took a reported $1.5 billion for Walt Disney World to deploy their RFID bands with integrated app based reservations, tap to pay, tap for entry, and virtual queuing. And even with all that money spent it had some significant flaws for the first 6 months or so.

I haven't seen anything from Royal Caribbean yet which makes me think they can pull off such a complicated IT project. Shoot, when they can't even fix an ongoing issue with their reservation system which causes cruises to be repriced when you do something simple (like put a special dietary note on your reservation), that doesn't really show me they're ready to take on a much more complex project.

Since they have not been able to get my dining reservations correct on the website yet (booked in May) I agree with you that they may not be able to properly get this system up and running. That being said won't it be nice to know that your luggage is not really lost but sitting comfortably on the dock waiting for your return.

bob

So, the bands make it so you don't need to carry a sea pass around with you, but now you need a bigger something to carry around your cell phone :confused:.

I would try to the robo bar once just for the experience, but can't see it being a regular hangout.

First blush they all sound neat but we will have to see how they work in real life. Maybe this is where all the IT department has been spending their time forgetting about the rest of their customers.

While it is good to hear Royal Caribbean is advancing some of the passenger-based experience items...most of these "big reveal" things are actually catching them up to technology that is nearly 5 years old (or more).

Until they have a fleet of ships with high-speed broadband Internet onboard, there is still plenty of "catch-up" needed to be "high tech" from a passenger standpoint. Oasis and Allure (and Quantum) are all supposed to have broadband-speed Internet by year end...but that's about it.

Today's "Big Reveal" was actually interesting...not not a "WOW" moment.

While it is good to hear Royal Caribbean is advancing some of the passenger-based experience items...most of these "big reveal" things are actually catching them up to technology that is nearly 5 years old (or more).

Until they have a fleet of ships with high-speed broadband Internet onboard, there is still plenty of "catch-up" needed to be "high tech" from a passenger standpoint. Oasis and Allure (and Quantum) are all supposed to have broadband-speed Internet by year end...but that's about it.

I don't believe they are "catching up" in regards to technology, at least not within their own industry. In fact they are the cruise industry leader when it comes to technology. No other cruise line even comes close.

I was quite impressed with today's reveal and as a person that loves tech, found it all very interesting and I'm looking forward to trying it all out myself.

If you're not interested in tech then this reveal probably didn't do a whole lot for you. So be it.

I love all of your replies to this thread!:D. Call me Mary Poppins, but I could not be more excited to sail on the Quantum in January!

The technology sounds amazing and, although I am sure there will be glitches, they'll get it right eventually! You guys! They are attempting major cutting edge stuff here! It all sounds cool to me and I am sure most of it will work well enough. I am so looking forward to seeing it first hand!

Richard Fain did an amazing job today.

Tara

I love all of your replies to this thread!:D. Call me Mary Poppins, but I could not be more excited to sail on the Quantum in January!

The technology sounds amazing and, although I am sure there will be glitches, they'll get it right eventually! You guys! They are attempting major cutting edge stuff here! It all sounds cool to me and I am sure most of it will work well enough. I am so looking forward to seeing it first hand!

Richard Fain did an amazing job today.

Tara

I'm with you 100%! I'm thankful that RCI is willing to take risks and try new technology in a shipboard environment. They really think outside the box and partner with amazing companies to bring it all together. Based on their past history of bringing successful innovations to cruise ships ever since the Voyager Class, I have every confidence the same will be true of QUANTUM. Of course there are going to be glitches and things will have to be tweaked. That is all part of being an industry leader and the willingness to try new things. I remember when VOYAGER OF THE SEAS came out. So many said it would be a complete failure. Imagine an ice skating rink, Royal Promenade, rock climbing wall, in-line skating rink, etc. on a cruise ship? No possible way they all said, along with the statements that the ship was too big and Royal would never be able to fill it. All proven wrong. Similar things were said about OASIS, her size, and her innovations. Again all proven wrong. Generally speaking, Royal Caribbean knows what they are doing. They are not new to bringing innovations to ships and certainly know the process and the risks. More power to them!

At the beginning Richard mention the Smoke stacks and how it would need to be lowered for two bridges. One being the golden gate. Is that a hint a quantum ship is coming to the west coast out of San Francisco. If so I think I wet my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe they are "catching up" in regards to technology, at least not within their own industry. In fact they are the cruise industry leader when it comes to technology. No other cruise line even comes close.

I was quite impressed with today's reveal and as a person that loves tech, found it all very interesting and I'm looking forward to trying it all out myself.

If you're not interested in tech then this reveal probably didn't do a whole lot for you. So be it.

Actually...some of us are VERY interested in technology, including what is featured on RCI ships.

The fact is that what they plan to offer reflects established technology that has been around for several years - they are doing more "catch-up" than anything else - which is not a bad thing - but not worthy of the "Big Reveal" uber-hype today.

In contrast...the O3b Satellite Constellation technology for Broadband Internet scheduled to be on board some of the newer RCI ships is NEW and innovative stuff.

Today's announcement items reflect technology from 5-10 years ago that is just now being deployed.

So to be clear - it's all good - but framing it to be "high tech" in 2014 is mostly marketing-inflated hype.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I'm a big fan of technology, but, my take is their marketing department missed the boat (humor!) with the first Smart Ship. They needed to make it a Smart iShip in order to be 100 buzzword compliant.

Really, would it kill em to post actual pictures of the staterooms or will I just wait for CC to actually reveal (humor!) them for me?

I'm with you 100%! I'm thankful that RCI is willing to take risks and try new technology in a shipboard environment. They really think outside the box and partner with amazing companies to bring it all together. Based on their past history of bringing successful innovations to cruise ships ever since the Voyager Class, I have every confidence the same will be true of QUANTUM. Of course there are going to be glitches and things will have to be tweaked. That is all part of being an industry leader and the willingness to try new things. I remember when VOYAGER OF THE SEAS came out. So many said it would be a complete failure. Imagine an ice skating rink, Royal Promenade, rock climbing wall, in-line skating rink, etc. on a cruise ship? No possible way they all said, along with the statements that the ship was too big and Royal would never be able to fill it. All proven wrong. Similar things were said about OASIS, her size, and her innovations. Again all proven wrong. Generally speaking, Royal Caribbean knows what they are doing. They are not new to bringing innovations to ships and certainly know the process and the risks. More power to them!

I agree Ernie. RCCL continues to push the envelope in innovation and ship design. They are far ahead of their competition with not only the RCI brand but also Celebrity. I think the QN class will be a beautiful and very successful class of ship for RCCL. At this time I have no interest in cruising on the QN as RCI does not interest us much as much as it once did but I will look forward to the reviews and photos. :)

So this means they are CUTTING MORE from being a diamond member. If anybody can use the SMART checkin-in, then everyone has priority boarding, so it's not a benefit anymore!

Robotic bar tenders? Cool in theory, but I be they'll be broken down a lot.

A+ on sustainability upgrades. I like this

As for connectivity? I want LESS on vacation. Not more.

I want a paper cruise compass than I can forget is in my pocket when I jump in the pool, but it still works afterwords. I don't want to carry around a tablet, or cell phone, or have to wear a goofy looking wristband just to enjoy my vacation.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the complaints.

Are you suggesting that not only do you want priority check-in, but that you don't want others to have the same checkin, even if it's of no consequence to the amount of time that it takes you to get on board?

I understand that there are things that should be exclusive, but it's not like you have a special lounge while you wait, that others are being invited into. Priority only makes sense where there are wait times, limited preferred seats, etc.

However, if they've come up with a way to move everyone on board without impact to those that formerly had priority, why would you care?

As for the wristbands, Before, you had to carry around a sea-pass card, which you always had to check if you had it or forgot it back in your cabin or at the bar or if you've left it poolside.

The wristbands would allow you to go swimming, get drunk, and not worry about forgetting or losing it.

My DH and I do not drink but I think the robotic bartenders are NUTS!

Did you see how slow they moved .... a human can make a drink a lot faster and with more accuracy. Not impressed!

This is probably one novelty that I think most can do without.

I'm glad that they'll have a person behind the bar as well.

I think that the robotic bartender is an idea that may only cause long wait times at the bar for the experience.

People will want to do this once, but I wonder what happens after the first go-around?

I agree Ernie. RCCL continues to push the envelope in innovation and ship design. They are far ahead of their competition with not only the RCI brand but also Celebrity. I think the QN class will be a beautiful and very successful class of ship for RCCL. At this time I have no interest in cruising on the QN as RCI does not interest us much as much as it once did but I will look forward to the reviews and photos. :)

I'm on the maiden crossing so I'll let you know how it goes.

So, the bands make it so you don't need to carry a sea pass around with you, but now you need a bigger something to carry around your cell phone :confused:.

I would try to the robo bar once just for the experience, but can't see it being a regular hangout.

First blush they all sound neat but we will have to see how they work in real life. Maybe this is where all the IT department has been spending their time forgetting about the rest of their customers.

I agree!

I'm also of the mindset where I don't want to carry around my phone. I don't want to be contacted about work, or even have the opportunity to read my email.

I'm one of those people that's always connected, and the idea of carrying around a device that's always going to tell me that I got an email will take away from my R&R. I won't be able to ignore them.

Maybe i'll remove my email client from my tablet and leave my phone in the room. This way, I can only do things like make reservations and the annoying reminders about work won't keep popping up.

For those that don't like technology, there's always an option to get the paper cruise compass.

I just like the idea that I can make reservations on the fly, if they're available.

The fact is that what they plan to offer reflects established technology that has been around for several years - they are doing more "catch-up" than anything else - which is not a bad thing - but not worthy of the "Big Reveal" uber-hype today.

Again my point is within their own industry, they are not playing catch up at all but are actually the industry leader when it comes to technology. They may be playing catch-up to existing land based technology but at sea it is a different story and it's not always an apples to apples comparison. The logistics of certain land based technologies are simply far more challenging on ship. If you think Royal Caribbean is playing catch up, I can only imagine how you feel about Carnival and other lines which trail Royal Caribbean quite substantially in most areas when it comes to onboard technology.

I quite enjoyed the big reveal, and I felt the upgraded internet technology which incorporates expanded band width greater than every other cruise ship in the world combined was worthy of its own reveal. It's an industry first for sure. Everything else was icing on the cake.