Norway Port Not to miss

Hi all!!

I'm researching my cruise to Norway this coming summer (2015) but think I've narrowed it down to the cruise I want. Before I book, I wanted to post here and get a feel.

Is there any Norway Port that is a Don't Miss? I'm looking mainly for that beautiful fairy tale town feel that I've seen in so many photos. I obviously want to see Fjords but I'm mainly asking for that "Must See Port". (For instance, in Alaska I'd almost say Sitka because it was truly unique)

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi all!!

I'm researching my cruise to Norway this coming summer (2015) but think I've narrowed it down to the cruise I want. Before I book, I wanted to post here and get a feel.

Is there any Norway Port that is a Don't Miss? I'm looking mainly for that beautiful fairy tale town feel that I've seen in so many photos. I obviously want to see Fjords but I'm mainly asking for that "Must See Port". (For instance, in Alaska I'd almost say Sitka because it was truly unique)

Thanks!

Jennifer

IMO, Geiranger, Flåm, Åndalsnes, Eidsfjord (Ulvik), Ålesund, Olden.

Going further north: Lofoten Islands, Tromsø, Hammerfest, Black Ice Glacier, Spitzbergen.

Fjords: Storfjord which will lead to Synnylvsfjord and Geirangerfjord.

Sognefjord (Norways longest fjord) which takes you to Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord.

There are other stunning fjords like Hjorundsjord but sadly this fjord is not on a cruise itinerary.

Hardangerfjord.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi all!!

Thanks!

Jennifer

I'm sure you realized there were going to be many varied responses to this question as it is so subjective, but I hope you let us know which itinerary you choose.

My vote in the south is Geiranger for the beautiful sail-in and the iconic, dramatic views, and the easy hiking from the port.

(I've been to Stavanger, Flåm, Gudvangen, and Trondheim.)

In the north, Lofoten hands-down. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. I love Tromsø for the activities, but if I had to choose one it would be the Lofoten Islands (the typical ports are Gravdal or Leknes).

In Svalbard, I've heard great things about Magdalenefjord, but even Longyearbyen is incredibly unique. You really can't go wrong with any port call up there!

Thanks everyone! I know this is very subjective but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was overlooking.

We have decided to cruise the Eurodam from Copenhagen to Flam, Stavanger, Kristiansand, Oslo, and Gothenburg, Sweden. I went with this itinerary because of my other thread. One of my bucket list goals was to see a Stave Church and this route gives me two chances (Flam and Oslo).

I'm glad to see that most ports here are beautiful. I was just anxious to not miss that one special port.

Congrats on making a desition. Its a different itinerary concentration on the southern cities (with one fjord).

Is a perfect cruise for a B2B.

Come to think of it I would not mind doing this itinerary....

Edited by I-Cruiser

Congrats on making a desition. Its a different itinerary concentration on the southern cities (with one fjord).

Is a perfect cruise for a B2B.

Come to think of it I would not mind doing this itinerary....

Thanks for all your help. I'd LOVE to do it as a back to back but that's not in the cards this trip.

It actually includes Sognefjord and Oslo Fjord cruising. In addition, I added on a cruise to Lysefjord to see Pulpit rocks.

Edited by notes4theheart

It actually includes Sognefjord and Oslo Fjord cruising. In addition, I added on a cruise to Lysefjord to see Pulpit rocks.

You will enjoy Lysefjord. Very different.

Oslo fjord is not what I would call a fjord in the traditional sense.(narrow - high mountains - waterfalls - picture postcard) But, it is beautiful and I am sure you will love cruising in/out.

Absolutely loved Skjolden on the Sognefjord!

Beautiful walks, waterfalls & scenery! I think it was the most beautiful port I've ever visited.

Check out this brochure: http://www.sognefjord.no/SogneFjord/Sognefjordguiden2014_Eng.pdf

SKjolden is a small community at the far end of this fjord and not at all touristy. This is what came to mind when you mentioned Sitka. The small farms along the fjord, the beauty of the community, it was amazing. We were there on sunny day and the school children serenaded us and the locals came down to the beach for a swim.

Actually we went to SKjolden on the Eurodam. Loved the ship,too.

Edited by oaktreerb