Island Princess -- Would you recommend Sabatini's or Bayou Cafe

cruzinbabes

We are riding the Island Princess home to SF next month, following an Alaska sailing on the Celebrity Solstice. Since the cruise is only 3 nights, we will probably only do one specialty restaurant.

Would you recommend Sabatini's, the Bayou Café, or just sticking with the main dining room? What appetizers, entrees and desserts do you recommend?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's recommendations! Thanks!

I'd pick the Bayou Café. It's really more like a steakhouse now with some nods to the Bayou theme. Last year, on the Coral, we went the second to the last night and loved the meal so much we went back the next night. It's been a long time since I ate there on the Island, but I'm sure the food and service quality is about the same.

We have breakfast in Sabatini's which is wonderful.

However, to be honest, we dined their on embarkation day and were not that impressed with the dinner menu.

Just didn't like the choice of what was on offer.

Bayou is much more middle of the road and, unless something on the menu at Sabatini's particularly attracts your attention, I would say go to the Bayou Cafe.

I will be on the Coral in December and included in the VS price is the first night in a specialty restaurant. I like the idea of the steak house styled dining, but was unsure about whether all of the Bayou dishes are spicy/hot. Because of a Rx I take, I have become very sensitive to spices with any heat, a mild salsa tastes like a three alarm chili to me. I always loved spicy hot food, but can no longer eat even mildly hot spices. Will I be able to find something good or better yet wonderful to eat in Bayou without encountering any hot spices?

Bayou Cafe. I like the ambiance and it's nice to have the bar/lounge right there too. The menu leans more to steakhouse than Cajun and I've never found anything too spicy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the responses! Seems most people who responded prefer the Bayou Café? Is it similar to the Crown Grill on other Princess ships? This will be our first trip on the Island, although we have done several cruises on other Princess ships. What are your favorite dishes?

Bayou Cafe. I like the ambiance and it's nice to have the bar/lounge right there too. The menu leans more to steakhouse than Cajun and I've never found anything too spicy.

We also totally enjoyed Bayou on Island Princess. :)

LuLu

Thank you for the responses! Seems most people who responded prefer the Bayou Café? Is it similar to the Crown Grill on other Princess ships? This will be our first trip on the Island, although we have done several cruises on other Princess ships. What are your favorite dishes?
Very different from the Crown Grill or Sterling Steakhouse. Here's a link describing it and a sample menu: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/specialty_restaurants/bayou_cafe/

I absolutely loved the filet. Best I've had on any Princess ship and that's saying something.

Ask for Bernaise sauce to go with when you make your reservation.)
FYI, did you know that you can request Béarnaise sauce in the dining room at any time? If I order the "always available" steak for dinner, I ask for Béarnaise sauce as well. Just a little tip. :)

We ate at Sabatini's twice earlier this month on the Island & really liked it. We did not try the Bayou restaurant, though. In the 5 years since our last cruise, also on Princess, I felt the quality of the MDR mains & desserts really went down. We liked most of the apps & pastas, however. We really enjoyed our Alaskan cruise. I hope you enjoy your journey home on the Island!

FYI, did you know that you can request Béarnaise sauce in the dining room at any time? If I order the "always available" steak for dinner, I ask for Béarnaise sauce as well. Just a little tip. :)

Good to know, That will make my cruise next month even more enjoyable! Thanks, Pam!!!

Bayou or Sabatini's. We think they are both very good. Have done both on both ships and would recommend both. And would recommend On the Bayou also.

The two outstanding ships left in the Princess fleet at least for now. :eek: