pompei and sorrento vs. pompei and amalfi coast

nerds2go

We have been to Amalfi region numerous times and since you have limited time I would suggest you organise a private tour as it is so much cheaper and with only a small number it will be so much more enjoyable.

Highly recommend http://www.aldolimos.com - their tour of the area whether you choose Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Pompeii or Herculaneum is superb. Cost about 50-60 euros/pp for a party of 8, ask for their Mercedes Sprinter tour bus it is so much more comfortable than many other vans. Goto their web site, they also offer shared tours if you are unable to organise a group

If it was me I would go direct to Herculaneum getting there before 9.00am spend 90 minutes walking around and then go Positano, take lunch at http://www.latagliata.com fabulous place overlooking the Bay of Salerno, then visit either Positano or Amalfi which ever takes your fancy, both will be pushing it better to visit less and see more.

Have a great trip.

Edited by mickey89

We have been to Amalfi region numerous times and since you have limited time I would suggest you organise a private tour as it is so much cheaper and with only a small number it will be so much more enjoyable.

Highly recommend http://www.aldolimos.com - their tour of the area whether you choose Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Pompeii or Herculaneum is superb. Cost about 50-60 euros/pp for a party of 8, ask for their Mercedes Sprinter tour bus it is so much more comfortable than many other vans. Goto their web site, they also offer shared tours if you are unable to organise a group

If it was me I would go direct to Herculaneum getting there before 9.00am spend 90 minutes walking around and then go Positano, take lunch at http://www.latagliata.com fabulous place overlooking the Bay of Salerno, then visit either Positano or Amalfi which ever takes your fancy, both will be pushing it better to visit less and see more.

Have a great trip.

Awesome! Thank you!

I initiated a group on our roll call that utilized the services of Mondo Guide. They offer shared tours for Rick Steves which are well priced small group excursions - minimum six people - that include a tour guide at Pompeii. Because our group grew to more than 12 people, we met the criteria for a tour guide for the entire day. In fact, our group exceeded the capacity of the small bus (Max. 19 people) so we ended up with two buses. The buses we were on were small enough to make the drive down into Positano. You can find details and see whether someone on your cruise has already started a group at their website: https://www.sharedtours dot com - look for the Sorrento, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast Shore excursion from the port of Naples. The cost is 65 Euros per person plus the cost of admission to Pompeii.

. .

Edited by cruisin' lady

We used a private tour with a guide for Pompeii. The guide met us at Pompeii and we got there in the morning before it even opened. The guide was unbelievable and made it possible for us to see far more than we could have seen on our own. The guide then left us back with the drive who went up the Amalfi coast and we were able to shop and have lunch in Sorrento and a stop in Positano. It was amazing and the people that took the ship's excursion were amazed that we were able to see all that we did in the time we had. It would not have been possible without a private driver and guide familiar with Pompeii, the traffic/roads and the area. I would never do it any other way. Well worth the money for a once in a lifetime experience.

One of the posters raised an interesting issue sometimes ignored by cruisers. Positano is a wonderful hillside town on the Amalfi Coast, but it is closed to large tour buses. So those that take typical cruise line excursions might notice they use language like "you will see Positano" or "you get views of Positano." But those bus tours are not permitted to actually drive down into Positano....which is a delightful jet-setter kind of town. A tour using vans, some mini-buses or cars can drive down into Positano.

Hank

I initiated a group on our roll call that utilized the services of Mondo Guide. They offer shared tours for Rick Steves which are well priced small group excursions - minimum six people - that include a tour guide at Pompeii. Because our group grew to more than 12 people' date=' we met the criteria for a tour guide for the entire day. In fact, our group exceeded the capacity of the small bus (Max. 19 people) so we ended up with two buses. The buses we were on were small enough to make the drive down into Positano. You can find details and see whether someone on your cruise has already started a group at their website: https://www.sharedtours dot com - look for the Sorrento, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast Shore excursion from the port of Naples. The cost is 65 Euros per person plus the cost of admission to Pompeii.

. .[/quote']

We used a private tour with a guide for Pompeii. The guide met us at Pompeii and we got there in the morning before it even opened. The guide was unbelievable and made it possible for us to see far more than we could have seen on our own. The guide then left us back with the drive who went up the Amalfi coast and we were able to shop and have lunch in Sorrento and a stop in Positano. It was amazing and the people that took the ship's excursion were amazed that we were able to see all that we did in the time we had. It would not have been possible without a private driver and guide familiar with Pompeii, the traffic/roads and the area. I would never do it any other way. Well worth the money for a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you both! Very good info and I'm looking into those ideas now!

One of the posters raised an interesting issue sometimes ignored by cruisers. Positano is a wonderful hillside town on the Amalfi Coast, but it is closed to large tour buses. So those that take typical cruise line excursions might notice they use language like "you will see Positano" or "you get views of Positano." But those bus tours are not permitted to actually drive down into Positano....which is a delightful jet-setter kind of town. A tour using vans, some mini-buses or cars can drive down into Positano.

Hank

Hank, yes that's good to know. Thank you for bringing that up. I would have been VERY upset if I'd just done a drive by on a bus LOL! Based on everyone's feedback, I'm 100% looking into private or tours or small group tours who can access Positano. I think now I've even changed direction and am just going to try Pompeii and Positano and (if there's time) Ravello. It looks like a lot of the private tours offer that or very similar itinerary.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone who responded! I'll let you know what I ultimately book and how it went!

IMG_1485283933.763927.jpg.4f551da84ccc785175a444e52526f229.jpg

This was a picture I took on our tour. We had a small group, so as others have stated we were able to go into Positano and park. We also had time in Pompeii and Sorrento. It was a very long day, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nebr.cruiser : I have been trying to figure out what to do in Naples for a month now. I travel in August and what you're describing sounds perfect. Would you mind sharing which private company you toured with?

Hi--we've been away and I haven't been checking Cruise Critic. I will have to see if I can do some research and figure out the tour company--it was 4 or 5 years ago, or more. Sorry to be late replying.