Music in Tracy Arm - follow up

topcat11

In June/July we had a lively discussion in this forum on Celebrity's practice of broadcasting music to their ships' outside decks during their passages through the wilderness sanctuary of Tracy Arm Alaska.

I posted a week-long poll in which the overwhelming majority of respondents opposed this practice. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069499)

After some back and forth with various Celebrity functionaries, here is the gist of their response: "While our company will not be making any immediate modifications with regard to this matter, we will continue to closely monitor and assess the input we receive on this topic. This will greatly assist us with our company’s future music determinations."

I am disappointed in this response from a company that claims to be passionate about improving the customer experience. If you too object to muzak being played on the outside decks during the passage, I hope you will

let Celebrity know directly.

Hi Topcat,

Just wanted to say thank you for the update. Sorry to say, but that's not what I'd expect from Celebrity, as it sounds like a blow-off of a reply. I agree that if anyone isn't happy, the best plan is to express your thoughts to Celebrity.

I think you're an optimist - I would be surprised if they are looking at it in any serious way at all
My point was, I was glad they didn't go and change things because of a few complaints. I would bet if they have had a lot of complaints, it would have been changed by now.

I guess it depends on your definition of a lot of complaints. In the poll, 127 respondents out of 150 opposed the practice. If I ran a company and saw figures like that, I would not be slow to respond in a meaningful way, even if it were only to do my own customer opinion research.

But I don't want to get back into the whole thing - I have taken my shot and it has not made any difference.

There are other windmills at which to tilt.

Given the thousands of passengers who have been exposed to the music over the years, presumably without raising any strenuous objections, one passenger's complaint, even with the backing of 127 CC members, is hardly going to influence Celebrity to initiate change.

I guess it depends on your definition of a lot of complaints. In the poll, 127 respondents out of 150 opposed the practice. If I ran a company and saw figures like that, I would not be slow to respond in a meaningful way, even if it were only to do my own customer opinion research.

But I don't want to get back into the whole thing - I have taken my shot and it has not made any difference.

There are other windmills at which to tilt.

And how many of the 127 were actually onboard a ship and heard the music? That is what you have to look at, not those that just voted because they didn't think they would like it.

If I ran a company, I would look at the total number of complaints I actually got onboard the ships, which I'm guessing in this instance wasn't enough to make any changes.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Given the thousands of passengers who have been exposed to the music over the years, presumably without raising any strenuous objections, one passenger's complaint, even with the backing of 127 CC members, is hardly going to influence Celebrity to initiate change.

I've been to Alaska on Celebrity ships at least 8 times and have never heard music blasting near the glaciers. The calving of the glaciers and wildlife sounds are the usual "music". This is apparently something new that most passengers have NOT been exposed to and anyone who has actually been there and has any common sense would understand that loud music there is completely inappropriate.

And how many of the 127 were actually onboard a ship and heard the music? That is what you have to look at, not those that just voted because they didn't think they would like it.

If I ran a company, I would look at the total number of complaints I actually got onboard the ships, which I'm guessing in this instance wasn't enough to make any changes.

Have you ever been there?

Guys, the size of the sample meets the industry standard for pollsters so it is not the 127 that really matters, it is the fact that 85% of those polled don't like it. In my mind, that is too clear a trend to be dismissed without further investigation.

And it is common knowledge in any industry that for every actual customer complaint a company receives, there are many, many more unsatisfied customers who don't bother to complain for whatever reason.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princess with a day spent in Glacier Bay. While we missed several things about Celebrity, we did not miss the very loud canned music. I can't imagine seeing this beautiful day of glaciers with music blaring.

The Alaska cruise season is just about over and except for the OP that first posted about the music at Tracy Arm I have not seen one report from anyone else regarding this subject. Maybe, for just that one sailing, some staff member forgot to turn the music down:)

Hi Christine Frances,

We can hope that's the case, but I have my doubts. The onboard folks wouldn't dare touch the music, unless the directives were from corporate. Perhaps this was a one sailing experiment, to sample guest reaction.

As you mentioned, the 2014 Alaska season is ending, so it will be interesting to see what (if anything) transpires during the Caribbean season. We'll see what happens, but hopefully it will be a non-event.

Guys, the size of the sample meets the industry standard for pollsters so it is not the 127 that really matters, it is the fact that 85% of those polled don't like it. In my mind, that is too clear a trend to be dismissed without further investigation.

You are spot on. Surely the majority feeling is that people should be able to enjoy the majestic beauty of Alaska without music blaring. I know that a few who have responded always enjoy the loud music. I appreciate that when appropriate (music in the atrium etc). I simply do NOT want this experience to be ruined outdoors watching in quiet.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princess with a day spent in Glacier Bay. While we missed several things about Celebrity, we did not miss the very loud canned music. I can't imagine seeing this beautiful day of glaciers with music blaring.

I can't imagine it either. Since the above topic and complaint was exposed on this forum and after reading tons of reviews and articles on Alaska, that Princess holds high esteem for Alaskan cruises, excursions and peace and quiet on decks while in Alaska, we have changed our plans and will not be going on Celebrity for the first time in cruising history. Instead, we will try Princess and enjoy the quiet and solitude where it should be experienced.

To each his own, but will use my time and dime for a cruise ore suited to what we expect on this wilderness cruise.

Hi Christine Frances,

We can hope that's the case, but I have my doubts. The onboard folks wouldn't dare touch the music, unless the directives were from corporate. Perhaps this was a one sailing experiment, to sample guest reaction.

Hi all,

The onboard crew has the ability to adjust the volume of music. Please feel free to visit Guest Relations if you feel that the volume isn't set properly. Thanks!

Hi all,

The onboard crew has the ability to adjust the volume of music. Please feel free to visit Guest Relations if you feel that the volume isn't set properly. Thanks!

Dear Celebrity Cruises:

You've missed the point. The point is that there should be NO MUSIC broadcast on outer decks while enjoying glaciers and fjords.

Fortunately, my time in the fjords and at the glaciers has preceded this idiotic decision to play canned music loudly all the time everywhere. I will be sailing to Alaska again next spring, and if there is music broadcast on the outer decks while we're in Tracy Arm, I can promise you that will be my last Celebrity cruise to Alaska instead of my third. And I will complain while on board.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

topcat11, thanks for pursuing this and updating us. I think you probably insured a conversation will occur while X uses the off-season to prepare for Alaska 2015. And if not, the X rep's post supports the idea that pax can request volume adjustments directly from onboard staff.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi all,

Sir, with due respect: you know and lots of us know this is NOT the case.

Otherwise, there would have never been the need for the various threads started and widely discussed on the topic.

Those threads pointedly called attention to the high number of incidences where various crew members, including GRM,HD, CD and head waiters are alleged to insist they '' couldn't do anything about it, it's from Miami, it's from Corporate, etc.etc...''.

So, why exactly are you giving us this reply to Andy's comments ????

As regards to the specific issue of any music while transiting Tracy Arms Fjord, as Happy Cruiser points out: you've missed ( or ignored ) the point completely.

Your occasional interests in our community is much appreciated; some of your comments are actually well received and helpful....but THIS one resembles the ''canned reply '' product so often seen on your website and heard from your collegues in various positions...you know....''read the company line and move on, it'll go away''......

Say it ain't so ...please ?

Cheers and thanks from a still loyal supporter......for now !! We ( and 4 of our friends/clients ) are boarding Solstice in 2 weeks......we shall see

then....

Claude

Sir, with due respect: you know and lots of us know this is NOT the case.

Otherwise, there would have never been the need for the various threads started and widely discussed on the topic.

Those threads pointedly called attention to the high number of incidences where various crew members, including GRM,HD, CD and head waiters are alleged to insist they '' couldn't do anything about it, it's from Miami, it's from Corporate, etc.etc...''.

So, why exactly are you giving us this reply to Andy's comments ????

As regards to the specific issue of any music while transiting Tracy Arms Fjord, as Happy Cruiser points out: you've missed ( or ignored ) the point completely.

Your occasional interests in our community is much appreciated; some of your comments are actually well received and helpful....but THIS one resembles the ''canned reply '' product so often seen on your website and heard from your collegues in various positions...you know....''read the company line and move on, it'll go away''......

Say it ain't so ...please ?

Cheers and thanks from a still loyal supporter......for now !! We ( and 4 of our friends/clients ) are boarding Solstice in 2 weeks......we shall see

then....

Claude

Hello there,

When the original conversation took place, we did set up a meeting in Miami to discuss this. The outcome was that the music should not be too loud (or too low), and that the ship does have the ability to adjust the music onboard. This isn't to suggest that one complaint will make this happen, but that it can happen.

However, we do understand that this specific conversation is not regarding the music in general, but asking for no music during the Tracy Arms Fjord. When we return to the office on Tuesday, we will bring this topic up and see what the story is. We understand that the community is asking for no music to enjoy the area.

Lastly, almost none of our conversations are canned. We'll always try our best to provide the most relevant information - but with 11 ships traveling the world on a 24/7 operation, this isn't always the easiest task. But we try.

Hello there,

When the original conversation took place, we did set up a meeting in Miami to discuss this. The outcome was that the music should not be too loud (or too low), and that the ship does have the ability to adjust the music onboard. This isn't to suggest that one complaint will make this happen, but that it can happen.

However, we do understand that this specific conversation is not regarding the music in general, but asking for no music during the Tracy Arms Fjord. When we return to the office on Tuesday, we will bring this topic up and see what the story is. We understand that the community is asking for no music to enjoy the area.

Lastly, almost none of our conversations are canned. We'll always try our best to provide the most relevant information - but with 11 ships traveling the world on a 24/7 operation, this isn't always the easiest task. But we try.

Thank you for your response. I think something that folks don't seem to understand, is that some crew member will probably say it is corporate's decision, as to the loudness of the music, because many passengers might enjoy the music at that level and, instead of ticking of the complaining passenger because they don't want to turn down the volume because of the other passengers, it might be easier to say it is corporate's decision.

I know everyone thinks that their way is the correct way (or correct loudness in this case), but they have to remember that there are a couple other thousand passengers on the ship at any one time. The same would go for music at Tracy Arm, if only a few are complaining, should their dislike supersede the likes of others.

Also, please understand, that some of us don't feel that your responses are canned response, but that you take every comment, question and complaint into consideration before you post your comments.

From a loyal supporter, who has three Celebrity cruises booked.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Dear Celebrity,

Thanks for your response. It seems that what some people don't understand is that this question is about music being played while sailing in the glacier viewing areas of the world where comparative silence is necessary to be able to hear the sounds of nature. Those of us who have done this are aware that it's a significant part of the experience and something that Celebrity has respected in the past.

Your responses are always appreciated.

From a loyal supporter who has actually been there many times.

Edited by Ma Bell