Unique billing problem - anyone else?

sparkles1388

I have a problem with the billing on my recent cruise and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I was on the NCL Pearl to Alaska and pre-paid my excursions (along with most everything else) so I would have a bill after vacation. I gave a credit card when I checked in but it turned out not to be the same card I used to to make the excursion reservation (I have only one card I use for online purchase - security and everything). My excursion was canceled because of bad weather and by the end of the cruise, they actually owed us money.

Instead of crediting me, they billed me. My credit card company can dispute the charge itself but will not do anything about the original credit even the my invoice shows their card number (or part of it) and that they owed me money because they never actual posted a charge for the excursion. I have sent a message already with no response. I just sent another and will try calling them Tuesday but was wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and how it was resolved.

I know this doesn't help OP.

This is a reason to check on board accounts somewhat regularly during the cruise. You can pick up mistakes and resolve them while on board. Also carry your confirmations for prepaid items . . .

Telephone calls are better than e-mails in a situation like this.

The problem starts with your using a different credit card to pre-purchase your excursions. So when your excursion was cancelled, the shore excursion people used the card that you gave them on the ship. And their billing didn't recognize this different credit card number and thus you were billed. There was no way for them to give you credit on that card since you hadn't originally used that card to book your excursions.

I always check our shipboard account every 3 or 4 days -- depends on length of cruise. Had you done that, you may have seen the error right away.

I use the same credit card for booking the cruise, pre-purchased items and for the shipboard account.

Using a different card on board should not have mattered. Your cruise line screwed up. Most lines would have credited your account for the canceled excursion, and if there was a balance, would have credited the registered card at the end.

What does your final statement from on board say?

I agree with the rest - don't email, call the cruise line.

Telephone calls are better than e-mails in a situation like this.

The problem starts with your using a different credit card to pre-purchase your excursions. So when your excursion was cancelled, the shore excursion people used the card that you gave them on the ship. And their billing didn't recognize this different credit card number and thus you were billed. There was no way for them to give you credit on that card since you hadn't originally used that card to book your excursions.

I always check our shipboard account every 3 or 4 days -- depends on length of cruise. Had you done that, you may have seen the error right away.

I use the same credit card for booking the cruise, pre-purchased items and for the shipboard account.

It shouldn't make a difference which card was used. The cruise line has the credit card number and it shouldn't be a problem to credit that account for the cancelled excursion no matter which card was used. I'm so tired of these businesses making stupid moves and when someone posts on here about it, they get ripped and blamed because the cruise line can't handle simple everyday credit card transactions. I also recommend calling to resolve the issue. Be prepared to spend a good amount of time on it. Once again, another post blaming the paying customer for the cruise line's ineptness.