To stay in Mestre or Venice Hotel before cruise?

skygirl65

I am wondering if it is better to stay in Mestre or Venice the night before our cruise? My friend is flying into Venice (VCE). However, I am not sure if I will fly into Milan (MXP) or VCE as I am a flight attendant and must wait for the last minute for open seats.

I will be meeting my friend and wondering what it the best option? (Same for departing after cruise when we will stay an extra day or two)

Venice is a magical city like no other on earth. It is very hard for me to imagine going there but staying in Mestre. I know it's cheaper and in some ways it may be more convenient but there's just nothing like Venice. Sometimes on the boards I hear it equated to visiting Manhattan but staying in Hoboken.

Agree with cruiserbruce .... 'better in what way?'. Is budget the primary concern?

If so, for the night before the cruise, I'd stay wherever I could get the best deal on a room, so probably Mestre. Specifically near Mestre train station so you can easily use the ATVO express bus from the airport.

After the cruise I'd stay IN Venice. As long as you can easily manage your luggage across 2-3 bridges you can find reasonably priced accommodations away from Piazzale Roma or st Marks.

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks SO much! Is this area called Piazzale Roma convenient to Venice Airport AND getting the train back to Milan as well? Trying to get all options as I need to know how to do both airports for last minute flights. And, is this convenient to get to the port as well? The Manhattan/Hoboken analagy was quite helpful as well.

Edited by skygirl65

Yes, Piazzale Roma is VERY convenient .... it's the last point of land travel into Venice so it's where buses, taxis, cars drop off their passengers. The ATVO express buses go directly from the airport to PRoma. The train station is about a 5 minute walk, altho over a large bridge crossing the Grand Canal.

Also, the People Mover entrance is at PRoma ... it's a monorail that will take you to the pier; 1.3E for a 3 minute ride.

This hotel listing will be helpful; some hotels require a 2 nite stay during peak periods:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

Skygirl65,

Check out Tom's Port Guides. This one is for Venice: http://www.tomsportguides.com/Venice-05-06-2011.pdf

He has maps, pictures, aerial views, etc that will help you visualize the area before going & are a great help once you arrive. (Just be sure to get the latest transportation schedules prior to leaving, as they may have changed.)

Be sure to pick up the local magazine "in Ospite di Venezia" at a hotel for the current vaporetto schedules & other useful info. (My hotel didn't have it, so I stopped in another who was glad to give me a copy upon request).

CathyCruises, regarding the Stucky....that is an amazing deal! Did you know in advance the name or was it listed as an anonymous 5 star? If you've already made the journey, did you get there by vaporetto? I'm guessing the #2 line to Tronchetto or P Roma would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Seems to be a beautiful place & can imagine it would be great to stay there!

Have a great trip!

Edited by syesmar

I think in six nights over two trips staying in Mestre, we have missed none of the magic in Venice that you may get by staying there. We have had wonderful late evenings strolling around and when it's time for bed taken the ten minute bus ride. Once in bed there is no difference.

We have been back early in the morning to see the cargo boats on the Grand Canal.

The money saved has paid for many a fine meal.

CathyCruises, regarding the Stucky....that is an amazing deal! Did you know in advance the name or was it listed as an anonymous 5 star? If you've already made the journey, did you get there by vaporetto? I'm guessing the #2 line to Tronchetto or P Roma would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Seems to be a beautiful place & can imagine it would be great to stay there!

Have a great trip!

I knew in advance, it was pretty simple since there are only 2 five star hotels on Giudecca. Beautiful, unconventional Hilton, very boutique-y decor. Easily accessible from port/airport by Alilaguna blue line.

I have staked a lot on this advice, and we have cut other corners to stay in a hotel right in Venice. We'll be there in mid-Oct. But I can't argue with the advice, even in advance. We want to go to Venice, not Mestre. I want to wake up and step outside and be right there in Venice, not be thinking of breakfast and then a train or bus so I can get to Venice. I want us to walk back to our hotel through the small quiet streets when we're ready to hit the sack, not before. And not be thinking about whether we should shut it down so we can get the train or the bus or whatever back to where we have to get to to sleep.

Our trip is not to Mestre, it's to Venice. That was the deciding factor for us.

Venice is an expensive place to stay, but you CAN find lodging that won't break the bank. Hotels around St Marks and PRoma tend to be pricey because of the convenience factor. But Venice is small; if you stay several blocks away from prime areas you can find more reasonably priced accommodation. There are hotels like Hotel Santa Lucia that are simple places .... no phone, tv but clean and comfortable. ( if you're ok with shared bathroom you can find even cheaper rooms).

Hello Everybody, I'm Italian and I well know Venice and the area near by. I suggest you to look for an accomodation near to the airport, you can find 3* and 4* at a reasonable price.

The airport location is fine for an overnight stay if you have an early morning flight, or on arrival the night before a cruise, but not ideal for sightseeing. You waste 30 minutes commuting each way!

The airport location is fine for an overnight stay if you have an early morning flight, or on arrival the night before a cruise, but not ideal for sightseeing. You waste 30 minutes commuting each way!

I agree, Venice proper is where the magic is, I visit at least once a year but I would always stay in Venice or on the Lido at a push.

I'm the odd man out here. I find nothing exceptional about staying right in Venice. You are going to shower and sleep, it doesn't really matter where.

That said, I did have Hotel Tritone booked for our Med cruise ending in Venice. Then I saw Ca' Doge right in Piazzale Roma on the Venice for Visitors website

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

It ended up costing me $100 more for the 3 nights in Piazzale Roma, but for the convenience of taxi, bus to the airport, and close location to vaporetto, we made the change.

Ca' Doge doesn't have an elevator, so 3 floors of stairs was not a great idea. There is also another hotel "Santa Chiara" right in the Piazzale that does have an elevator.

Only the OP can determine what requirements will meet their needs. Have fun planning, then taking your trip!