Soda drinks package question

arendale1

Hi, we are first time cruisers, recently booked with RC for next year.

When we booked we got free drinks packages (beverage pack for me and hubby, soda packs for our 3 children).

What exactly does the soda package include? Obviously soda, but our youngest child who will be 10 only drinks water - is this available at no extra charge, without having to buy bottled water?

Any info on the beverage package would be good too - does it include coffee and tea? I know we get some alcoholic drinks, do we get soda too?

Oh and we also got free gratuities/service charge - does this cover everything unless we eat in speciality restaurants?

TIA from a clueless newbie :)

If your ship has a Freestyle machine, you can get Desani water through it.

More information on the packages here:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Food and Beverage FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do?snav=2&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqSubjectId=336&pnav=5

Welcome to cruise critic and I hope you enjoy your first cruise. Gratuities are included in the cost of the specialty dinner. Some people choose to leave an additional tip but that is a personal choice and you are under no obligation to do so.

As it looks like you have booked a UK cruise there will be no freestyle machines onboard just soda guns dispensing coke, sprite, tango and a couple more. No bottled water, water is available on pool deck bars and windjammer.

No special coffees in the select package just standard tea/coffee options from cafe promenade etc.

Tips will be added to drinks bought onboard outside the package drinks.

The water that comes out of the soda machine is the same ship's water that comes out of the bathroom faucet and all the water dispensers on the ship.

There is no special Dasani water tank anywhere on the ship.

In fact if all he drinks is regular water, then he does not even need the soda package. He can get water anywhere.

The water that comes out of the soda machine is the same ship's water that comes out of the bathroom faucet and all the water dispensers on the ship.

There is no special Dasani water tank anywhere on the ship.

In fact if all he drinks is regular water, then he does not even need the soda package. He can get water anywhere.

It depends on what ship. Dasani is an option on ships that have the Freestyle machines.

Thanks for all the replies!

So, we can ask for tap water in the buffet restaurants? During the day he can get water from the soda machine? Sorry if I sound dumb, but really have no idea how it all works, or if tap water was safe to drink onboard.

Yes, my youngest does only drink water (apart from hot chocolate and milkshake), we wouldn't have purchased the drinks package for him, but it was given to us free. I'm just worried we won't be able to get him a drink without having to buy bottles of Evian, at home he just drinks tap water.

I've been reading that the coffee onboard isn't great - is it comparable to US hotel coffee? If so, I can handle that :)

The ice water (tap water!) is fine, and totally included in your fare. No package needed...no bottled water needed....you can get ice water ANYWHERE...any bar, and eating venue and in your cabin!

Yes...just ask for ice water whenever, wherever you want it.

As far as coffee, I've found the coffee in the WJ to be awful, but what they serve in the dining room and room service is fine. I don't know why the buffet's coffee is so strong and bitter...if I get that, I add some hot water to it...to calm it down a bit!

Edited by cb at sea

The ice water (tap water!) is fine, and totally included in your fare. No package needed...no bottled water needed....you can get ice water ANYWHERE...any bar, and eating venue and in your cabin!

Yes...just ask for ice water whenever, wherever you want it.

As far as coffee, I've found the coffee in the WJ to be awful, but what they serve in the dining room and room service is fine. I don't know why the buffet's coffee is so strong and bitter...if I get that, I add some hot water to it...to calm it down a bit!

Thank you! I can stop worrying now :)

Regarding the coffee, I like strong coffee, but bitter doesn't sound good :confused:

We are sailing on Explorer of the seas, no idea if it has freestyle machines or not.

It depends on what ship. Dasani is an option on ships that have the Freestyle machines.

Just to clear things up, there is no "Dasani" branded pure water from the machine. There is Dasani branded flavored water, which obviously comes in different fruity flavors. There is also an option for Dasani Sensations which I believe is the same variations of the flavored water but with carbonation. In both cases, the water used for the drinks is the ship's water, not "Dasani-branded" water.

Edited by jaredgold33

Just to clear things up, there is no "Dasani" branded pure water from the machine. There is Dasani branded flavored water, which obviously comes in different fruity flavors. There is also an option for Dasani Sensations which I believe is the same variations of the flavored water but with carbonation. In both cases, the water used for the drinks is the ship's water, not "Dasani-branded" water.

Thanks for that, my son won't drink flavoured water, so we'll stick to the ice/tap water.

Thank you! I can stop worrying now :)

Regarding the coffee, I like strong coffee, but bitter doesn't sound good :confused:

We are sailing on Explorer of the seas, no idea if it has freestyle machines or not.

Yes, Explorer has the Freestyle machine. If you order room service, your prepaid tips would not cover the person who delivers your order.

Hi, we are first time cruisers, recently booked with RC for next year.

When we booked we got free drinks packages (beverage pack for me and hubby, soda packs for our 3 children).

What exactly does the soda package include? Obviously soda, but our youngest child who will be 10 only drinks water - is this available at no extra charge, without having to buy bottled water?

Any info on the beverage package would be good too - does it include coffee and tea? I know we get some alcoholic drinks, do we get soda too?

Oh and we also got free gratuities/service charge - does this cover everything unless we eat in speciality restaurants?

TIA from a clueless newbie :)

Have fun.

Yes, Explorer has the Freestyle machine. If you order room service, your prepaid tips would not cover the person who delivers your order.

Thanks for the heads up! What is the usual tip for room sevice?

Have fun.

Thank you! Just having a read of this forum and now I'm worrying about bedbugs! :eek:

While the Freestyle machines do use the ship's water supply, MOST fountain beverage machines also have an extra filter in them that filters the incoming water before it is actually dispensed - same with ice machines.

Thanks for all the replies!

So, we can ask for tap water in the buffet restaurants? During the day he can get water from the soda machine? Sorry if I sound dumb, but really have no idea how it all works, or if tap water was safe to drink onboard.

I've been reading that the coffee onboard isn't great - is it comparable to US hotel coffee? If so, I can handle that :)

Tap water is fine any where on the Ship. The Coffee is Seattle brand and it can be strong some times and medium other times. We get the Replenish package for us and that includes all non-alcoholic drinks. And we do like our fancy Coffees and those on the ship are very good. ( doesn't include Starbucks but RCCL own Baristas)

Room service tips - I usually tip between $2 and $5 - depends on what is ordered.

Be aware that room service is free. However, there is an additional service charge if you order between midnight and 5:00 a.m. Not sure of the actual charge - somewhere around $5 - the food is still free.

Tap water is fine - make sure you ask your room steward to fill your ice bucket - tap water is often not that cold. Steward will replace ice twice daily.

Also, other free drinks are juice in the morning (not the fresh squeezed, just regular juice), milk, chocolate milk, lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch.

Room service tips - I usually tip between $2 and $5 - depends on what is ordered.

Be aware that room service is free. However, there is an additional service charge if you order between midnight and 5:00 a.m. Not sure of the actual charge - somewhere around $5 - the food is still free.

Tap water is fine - make sure you ask your room steward to fill your ice bucket - tap water is often not that cold. Steward will replace ice twice daily.

Also, other free drinks are juice in the morning (not the fresh squeezed, just regular juice), milk, chocolate milk, lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch.

Thank you for the above info - really appreciate it. :)