On board account cash at boarding?

az-cruiser

I have read many stories about people having problems with credit cards not being charged properly on ncl, so I think I'm going to use cash. I saw the post about $300 pp for a 7 day cruise. I also saw that if you purchase obc, they don't show up for a couple of days.

So when do we give the $300 per person ? At the dock before check in?

Anyone who has used cash instead of a credit card , please let me know how and when this was paid.

Thank you:D

I've never had an issue with my credit card being charged incorrectly. I save all my receipts and verify them against my summary at the end but never had a problem. The only issue i have ever heard of is when people have a "few" to many beverages and "forget" they bought a few things. Then pitch a fit that they really didn't buy this or that. :roll eyes: I'm pretty sure they don't send in the charges until you return so you have time (the last night) to dispute any weird charges that you may find though.

Edited by TruckerDave

We never have had any problems with paying our onboard charges with credit card (or sometimes even multiple credit cards for one account).

Even when two different persons on a cruise (assuming Dawn/Jewel class ships) had problems, that would be like 0,0008% of all passengers on a given cruise. Compared to the fact that NCL has over 20000 passengers onboard their ships on any given week, the total amount of problems is no bigger than anywhere else where credit cards are handled.

What comes to setting up te cash account, the accounts are set up in the terminal while doing check-in but the cash is only handled onboard so after you have boarded, you go to Guest Services desk to make a deposit.

Edited by Demonyte

Everyone must provide a credit card at the terminal when checking in. Don't use a debit card as there will be a monetary hold placed against it.

Your credit card isn't actually charged until the end of the cruise but at any time you may go to Guest Services and give them cash to cover your expenses. They in turn will provide you with a receipt for that cash.

Tracy

Everyone must provide a credit card at the terminal when checking in.

No they do not. One can have a cash account without giving any cards but then one needs to deposit money up front in order to use the onboard account for anything.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

If it aint really broke don't fix it. I've cruised a few times on various Lines and only once in over 1200 days at sea received a bill that wasn't mine. I noticed it the last day of cruise and showed the front desk. The signature wasn't mine and they were very nice about adjusting it . accidents happen.

What I like best about using the Credit Card is that sometimes you don't actually pay the bill for 2-3 months after the cruise depending on the time of month you cruised and date your CC co. bills you.

Don't create extra book keeping and getting extra people involved is not a good idea.

Happy sailing Sea you at sea some day.

On our 7 day Getaway cruise in April, we deposited $300 in travelers checks to our on board account and had no problems. As a matter of fact, we only spent about 1/2 of that all week and that was on a massage package. The last 2 days we bought souvenirs for everyone..still didn't spend it all and ended up getting back some of our cash.

Everyone must provide a credit card at the terminal when checking in. Don't use a debit card as there will be a monetary hold placed against it.

Your credit card isn't actually charged until the end of the cruise but at any time you may go to Guest Services and give them cash to cover your expenses. They in turn will provide you with a receipt for that cash.

Tracy

You do not need to show a CC or Debit card at checkin. I overwhelmingly would do a CC, but some people just can not qualify for one.

And yes, debit cards can be a problem. Be warned. There is a reason they have those signs on the counter at hotels and car rental and cruiseline checkins.

I have read many stories about people having problems with credit cards not being charged properly on ncl, so I think I'm going to use cash. I saw the post about $300 pp for a 7 day cruise. I also saw that if you purchase obc, they don't show up for a couple of days.

Anyone who has used cash instead of a credit card , please let me know how and when this was paid.

Our friend put down $152 on her onboard account in the terminal. After checking in she went to a table that was set up to accept cash payments. The table closed around noon and after that passengers had to set up the cash accounts onboard at guest services.

We just got off the Sky yesterday. We checked our statement at check out and it was correct. We spent $500 which was billed to our credit card. Today we have COMPLETED/APPROVED transactions from NCL totalling $2,000. I called NCL and they claim they are pending. They also claim they are just the individual sub charges that add up to the $500 but this is not accurate as many of the individual charges are more than the $500 actually incurred.

My credit card company states they are not pending, they are completed and thus will be figured into my average daily balance for computation of interest. Thankfully, they did not push me over my limit but I can see how that could easily happen to someone, resulting in an overage fee or an interest rate increase.

NCL will do nothing about the charges, so I must now dispute all but the correct charge. In discussing this with guest relations they want $300 per person in cash to avoid using a credit card in the future. I do not have a problem with $300 per adult but my 3 year old can't validly contract for services so why should I have to pay $300 to cover any onboard charges she may incur? The daily service charge perhaps, but she's not out getting massages or buying cocktails.

Guest relations also could not give me a dollar figure of how they compute "pending charges" when it was clearly not related to our spending. They said they charge them based on an individual's profile. ??? Does this mean that someone with a suite will have greater charges placed against them because they seem like they might spend more money? Or does it mean that someone of one race might have more charges placed against them since they might seem like they have more money or might be more likely to default? That seems like an opportunity for discrimination.

I find NCL's handling of this entire matter to be in extremely poor taste, and bordering on unethical.

I've never had an issue with my credit card being charged incorrectly. I save all my receipts and verify them against my summary at the end but never had a problem. The only issue i have ever heard of is when people have a "few" to many beverages and "forget" they bought a few things. Then pitch a fit that they really didn't buy this or that. :roll eyes: I'm pretty sure they don't send in the charges until you return so you have time (the last night) to dispute any weird charges that you may find though.

On one of my first cruises with NCL about 10 years ago they charged me for a minibar purchase...one of those little liquor bottles. The bottle was full but the seal was broken and I figured it must have come that way since we didn't touch it. There was a charge of about 14.00 with a receipt just left on our bed. When I tried to dispute it at the purser's desk, they had someone test the beverage and I was told it was water. They then accused me of drinking it and filling it with water and refused to refund the charge.

I was so mad. I will never forget how embarrassed and angry I was to be accused of that. I spoke to everyone on the ship that had any authority and when I left, I spoke with corporate who said they couldn't do anything. It was difficult not to fume about that. If you use a credit card, I highly recommend Amex as they usually side with the customer if the complaint is legitimate.

And no, I'm not making it up.

Having said that, if you use cash, who can you dispute the charge if there is a mistake. They will refuse to give you back your money and there is no middle man to advocate for you (credit card company) if there is a dispute.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

You don't need $300 pp for a 7 day cruise. We've put down as little as $250 for both of us. We like to give the cash on the ship as soon as we board. If the Purser's desk is open, just plop down whatever cash you feel like giving. Keep an eye on your balance though. When things start getting low you'll need to top it up.

We just got off the Sky yesterday. We checked our statement at check out and it was correct. We spent $500 which was billed to our credit card. Today we have COMPLETED/APPROVED transactions from NCL totalling $2,000. I called NCL and they claim they are pending. They also claim they are just the individual sub charges that add up to the $500 but this is not accurate as many of the individual charges are more than the $500 actually incurred.

My credit card company states they are not pending, they are completed and thus will be figured into my average daily balance for computation of interest. Thankfully, they did not push me over my limit but I can see how that could easily happen to someone, resulting in an overage fee or an interest rate increase.

NCL will do nothing about the charges, so I must now dispute all but the correct charge. In discussing this with guest relations they want $300 per person in cash to avoid using a credit card in the future. I do not have a problem with $300 per adult but my 3 year old can't validly contract for services so why should I have to pay $300 to cover any onboard charges she may incur? The daily service charge perhaps, but she's not out getting massages or buying cocktails.

Guest relations also could not give me a dollar figure of how they compute "pending charges" when it was clearly not related to our spending. They said they charge them based on an individual's profile. ??? Does this mean that someone with a suite will have greater charges placed against them because they seem like they might spend more money? Or does it mean that someone of one race might have more charges placed against them since they might seem like they have more money or might be more likely to default? That seems like an opportunity for discrimination.

I find NCL's handling of this entire matter to be in extremely poor taste, and bordering on unethical.

Wow! And I was mad about $14.00. :o

I'd just point out that both of the examples above aren't in themselves reasons not to use credit cards. If the large extra charge does turn out to be a real charge and not a hold then a dispute on the credit card will get that back. Unless credit limits are tight this shouldn't cause too much trouble.

The mini bar incident wouldn't have been easily avoided if using cash. They would still have charged for it, just in cash. They wouldn't have refunded any cash overpayment and refusal to pay any more money into the account would have just resulted in no services being offered (no bar sales etc).

I'd use a card and check your bill regularly.

Holds put on my card seem to relate fairly closely with what I spend. I have an app on my phone which notifies me whenever there is a provisional charge on my card, and they often come up just after I have spent something onboard, for fairly exact amounts. For example, if I buy a bucket of beer I usually get a provisional charge for the cost of that bucket.

It doesn't always happen like that, and occasionally purchases are combined, but there are usually a few every day. It certainly ties in with my spending though.

I wonder whether, when they refer to the individual's profile, they mean where they come from (the systems credit card companies use may be different in certain countries) and what card they are using.

I'd just point out that both of the examples above aren't in themselves reasons not to use credit cards. If the large extra charge does turn out to be a real charge and not a hold then a dispute on the credit card will get that back. Unless credit limits are tight this shouldn't cause too much trouble.

The mini bar incident wouldn't have been easily avoided if using cash. They would still have charged for it, just in cash. They wouldn't have refunded any cash overpayment and refusal to pay any more money into the account would have just resulted in no services being offered (no bar sales etc).

I'd use a card and check your bill regularly.

My example was to encourage use of credit cards, not the opposite. :confused:

Edited by cruisecritiquer

My example was to encourage use of credit cards, not the opposite. :confused:

Aah, OK. To be honest it didn't particularly read as advice one way or the other. Just an example of what can happen.

My point remains though. A lot of the issues which get raised on here with credit cards are not solved by using cash instead. The only one I can think of is if there is an extra charge that is only added to the account after you leave the ship, and that NCL have the documentation to get the credit card company to side with them in a dispute. Basically, I imagine you would get away with that if you used cash, but that would seem to be avoiding paying for a valid charge.

Edited by KeithJenner

Thanks for all the input...here's some background:

In the past, we always used credit cards, until that fateful Princess cruise..lol!! I bought some art at the auction, 2 paintings. I got a call from the desk saying that my card was declined...like 5 hours later...nice!! PANIC MODE!!!...then a long and expensive call with my cc company and it seems that Princess put a hold on the art for $3500, then they charged me another $3500. On top of that, they had numerous daily holds of a couple hundred , PLUS what we had actually spent. So yah, it seems Princess went overboard with the holds....funny thing is, they put holds just like that on every cruise. Holds plus actual charges! Double dipping so to say. So last cruise we went on...another cc fiasco..prior to the cruise! The day before the cruise i called the cc company to let them know we were cruising and would be using our card....low and behold, the balance was very unusual...someone had stolen our card and it was too late to get another one overnighted. We were cruising Holland America that time and I went to the bank and got cash when we got to FL..no problems at all. I gave the cash to the person at the port that checked us in. So, since I need to use my CC before and after the cruise for hotels, it just seems the odds are in my favor if I use cash. I would hate to get to the hotel after the crusie and have any issues. So, i'll have a cc for backup if I need it;)

I was going to just payeverything before hand and add money to my account before the cruise, but it seems as though those credits dont show up for a few days.

I still believe folks should use credit cards. The screw ups are rather uncommon. Yes they happen.

I also would never travel with only one credit card. Crap happens. Actually my wife and I each have at least two cards, on different accounts. I never want to be stuck somewhere without the means to take care of myself.

And I would never use a debit card, for other than ATM use.

Just me. It will not work for everyone.

(and to that person with the excessive charge - your credit card company should allow a challenge and will remove those charges pending review)

Do these issues also happen on other cruise lines as well? It's not something exclusive to NCL right?

These kind of issues happen anywhere where credit cards are handled. Companies are run by people and people sometimes do mistakes, people also set policies according to which machines (and companies) work.

I've encountered these kind of problems usually in car rental places and hotels, so these are definitely not exclusive to cruise lines and even less exclusive to NCL.

We just did this a few weeks ago on the Getaway. We paid $600 cash for the 2 of us. They will not take your cash at check in. We had to board and go to guest services. I think I could have paid less as the person who actually took my cash didn't seem to care how much or little I put down. We had a 250 obc, so we had $850 available on our account as soon as I put the cash down.

The last day, before we disembarked I went to guest services and got back what I didn't spend. To me, this was worth the peace of mind of having my debit card messed with (holds) as I don't use credit cards.

We just did this a few weeks ago on the Getaway. We paid $600 cash for the 2 of us. They will not take your cash at check in. We had to board and go to guest services. I think I could have paid less as the person who actually took my cash didn't seem to care how much or little I put down. We had a 250 obc, so we had $850 available on our account as soon as I put the cash down.

The last day, before we disembarked I went to guest services and got back what I didn't spend. To me, this was worth the peace of mind of having my debit card messed with (holds) as I don't use credit cards.

Thanks Kevin, exactly what I needed to know :D