upgrading to a suite on board the ship

Erikamac

Anyone done it? Did you get a deal? Hubs is interested

Virtually no chance of an onboard upgrade. They will not risk upsetting those who paid a higher price by giving a deal. They will say that the ship is full when there is availability. Might wait to book until you see a Suite Guarantee.

Suite guarantee? Our ship leaves tomorrow And our travel agent said a suite upgrade now is available should we want it (she's family) ans told us the price... wondering if it's worth it. So even if the suites are not filled no deals... interesting

Suite guarantee? Our ship leaves tomorrow And our travel agent said a suite upgrade now is available should we want it (she's family) ans told us the price... wondering if it's worth it. So even if the suites are not filled no deals... interesting

If the TA offered a price and you're okay with it, take it. If you get a better deal on the ship you'll be the first one that I've heard has been successful. Please report back, but most of all just have a great cruise.

Anyone done it? Did you get a deal? Hubs is interested

I agree with the previous poster in that it's highly unlikely that you will be able to ever upgrade to a suite at the pier.

First, most of =X='s ships are sailing full or very nearly so. Second, the suites are usually one of the first category of cabins to sell out. The limited number of suites plus an economy (at least here in the U.S.) that is doing OK makes for a very high level of demand for this very limited number of cabins. What happens is that TA's often have a waiting list for those who would like to book a suite if one opens up.

If a suite does open up at the last minute Celebrity will often offer that suite to someone already booked in the next smallest type of cabin. Almost never does a Celebrity ship set sail with an empty suite. Good luck in your quest for that last minute suite opportunity.

:):):)

I agree with the previous poster in that it's highly unlikely that you will be able to ever upgrade to a suite at the pier.

First, most of =X='s ships are sailing full or very nearly so. Second, the suites are usually one of the first category of cabins to sell out. The limited number of suites plus an economy (at least here in the U.S.) that is doing OK makes for a very high level of demand for this very limited number of cabins. What happens is that TA's often have a waiting list for those who would like to book a suite if one opens up.

If a suite does open up at the last minute Celebrity will often offer that suite to someone already booked in the next smallest type of cabin. Almost never does a Celebrity ship set sail with an empty suite. Good luck in your quest for that last minute suite opportunity.

:):):)

If a Celebrity Suite or higher is available it becomes the prize in a high price BINGO game. I've seen that. My DW needed one number, but so did about 100 others. We stayed put.

Yes, very unlikely but you never know.

We were able to upgrade to a Royal Suite but did it with the port coordinator at the pier. One of the only times we've done a suite but only because the upgrade price was so ridiculously low, couldn't pass it up.

Edited by ECCruise

There are suites avail... We are currently in concierge class. Personally I'm fine with no upgrade since it's a port intensive cruise, hubs wants to do it. Thanks for the info I'm sure it will be fabulous either way :)

Edited by Erikamac

I watched a sailing we did this year with a couple higher end suites available than the sky suite we were on. I wasn't too happy about the price for a shorter cruise, and thought, maybe I would get lucky at the pier or onboard. I paid a bunch more than the rate after final payment for our Sky Suite.

No dice at the pier.

Onboard, to start with the told me no upgrades, but I KNOW the room was open when they closed the manifest for the sailing. I had been watching closes. When the Guest Relations manager admited to the cabin, she said they couldn't tell me the price until we actually sailed. Who knows why. When she finally gave me the price, it was almost double what it was, 48 hours out (at 24 hours out the cruise was "closed". I just laughed and stayed put in the worst cabin I have had at sea.

My lesson was to bite the bullet and just book the cabin before you board and make sure you're happy with that cabin. I would not wait until you board, if you're happy with the price, do it ASAP.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Which sky suite was the worst cabin you've ever had at sea?

We also were on a cruise where one of the suites was up as a Bingo prize. They had an open house so you could see it before you decided to buy the pricey Bingo card. We were more than happy to stay in our aft.

Which sky suite was the worst cabin you've ever had at sea?

We also were on a cruise where one of the suites was up as a Bingo prize. They had an open house so you could see it before you decided to buy the pricey Bingo card. We were more than happy to stay in our aft.

Century.

Stains on the walls and carpet. Noise from cabin next door. Toilet that starting overflowing (while we were in bed), lazy butler. Bad location (our fault).

Thankfully it was a short cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

"Back in the day" when we just started getting into cruising (2003/2004), pier upgrades were almost always available (we were sailing exclusively on Royal at the time). The cost to upgrade was ridiculously cheap and we learned the exact steps we needed to take to make sure we snagged one of the remaining suites at the pier - thanks to cruise critic. One time, we were the 2nd people in line to board - we knew we had to get to the pier coordinator first! The "A" suites (not sure what they call them now) on the Voyager class ships were awesome and allowed access to the concierge suite for drinks, etc. We look back on those days fondly, but must admit... I am just as happy with my standard balcony - love my cruises!

Edited by bhughey

Right after the stock market crash in 2008, we were able to upgrade for a small amount to an NCL suite a week before sailing. We met some who were upgraded at embarkation for free. In 2009, we got a fantastic deal from Princess and again in 2010 from NCL. Both of these were pre-embarkation. Those days are over! The US economy has improved and most lines are upselling pre-cruise if there are any suites left. The stories you hear about upgrading at the pier are from a few years ago.