Review of an overpriced and uncomfortable Viking "Rhine Getaway" cruise

Kling_Klang

As much as I commiserate with the OP for his personal situation, I can't imagine why his wife would want to go to Europe if she eats only "American" food! Where do you think most North American cuisine came from?

And why did her dislike of beer prevent him from trying out the local brews?

What is American food? The only thing I can think of is hamburgers or dogs. Or maybe non flavorful pot roast and boiled potatoes. i.e. bland food. It is a shame that they never eat Mexican, Chinese, Italian, etc.

I cannot imaging a world only eating American Velveeta cheese.

No sausages since they came from Europe.

Any one else know what is considered American food?

What is American food? The only thing I can think of is hamburgers or dogs.

Any one else know what is considered American food?

Hamburgers come from Hamburg Germany. At the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893, they put the cooked meat on a bun. Frankfurters are from Frankfurt lol. I had brats at the oldest brat house in Regensburg Germany. I think it was from the 15th century.

My sister is sort of like that, but the things I have eaten on our travels....

Edited by Talisker92

Hamburgers without the bun are eaten all over Germany and Austria under various local names. They are not pure beef and spices are added, sometimes eggs and breadcrumbs.

Frankfurters are actually not from Frankfurt and Wieners are not from Vienna, they are popular all over Germany and Austria and are called one or the other depending on the region. Sometimes they have a totally different name. They are served with a hard roll. Of course there is also a variety of additional street food sausages and soft Brezel in the bakeries.

I think that Americans will find lots of familiar food in Germany and Austria. Italian and Turkish dishes are also popular.

What is American food? The only thing I can think of is hamburgers or dogs. Or maybe non flavorful pot roast and boiled potatoes. i.e. bland food.

Quite a lot of food eaten in America these days is "ethnic" food, like Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian. My guess is that what she likes is probably meat, potatoes and vegetables, served with very few, if any, spices (except ketchup).

I probably should have said that my wife will only eat Americanized food (Polish-American, German-American, Chinese-American, Mexican-American, you get the idea) and freaks out if she has to go outside her comfort zone. We spent a miserable week in Singapore, the greatest foodie city in the world, desperately trying to find places that she would even go near, let alone eat at. I wanted to try Viking because they were supposed to offer a selection of meals, hoping that she would find something that she liked and I could try something different. Unfortunately, except for the German night, the dinners consisted of two hour waits for tiny, cold servings of nouvelle cuisine that neither of us liked.

Edited by Kling_Klang

I believe that there are other issues at play here.... Sounds like the OP tried to take his DW out of her very small and unique "Comfort Zone" and it must have not gone well.

We are lucky to not walk in his shoes !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not uncommon. When Avalon served a fabulous roast goose at lunch, I saw at least half the dining room ordering a cheeseburger:rolleyes:

I enjoyed the really well cooked goose! And duck, when that was offered.

Sure, but a cheeseburger then is "American" food. The OP is saying that Viking only offered "nouvelle cuisine". Viking's dinner menu always offered less "exotic" items such as a sirloin steak, a chicken breast and salmon. So, it is possible to dine on more bland items if desired.

Becki

Sure, but a cheeseburger then is "American" food. The OP is saying that Viking only offered "nouvelle cuisine". Viking's dinner menu always offered less "exotic" items such as a sirloin steak, a chicken breast and salmon. So, it is possible to dine on more bland items if desired.

Becki

I wasn't arguing that point. I was stating that OP's wife, in wanting "American" food (food she is used to) was not uncommon.

I travel to eat. I realize this is somewhat unique, certainly on the river cruise I took.

Did the OP,actually say his wife won't eat anything but American food? What the heck were they doing taking a European River Cruise? they need to stay home and go to Ruby Tuesday.

Good point! This is like going on a trip to China and complaining that nobody spoke English!