So Disappointed

gr1634

And you still will cruise with them.....

Really how do you know it grows by month??? If it did we wouldnt see carnival getting sold out or getting people buying... And these forums on carnival would be empty..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, the Carnival forums will never be empty. Too many past Carnival cruisers sailing other lines now with axes to grind will ensure the Carnival forums stay busy. ;)

I did read on John Heald's Blog that the beard's are starting to pick up on all the complaints

about the entertainment or lack of so guess we'll have to wait to see if anything changes, has anybody been hearing the same thing?

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

And what I'm saying is that I wish Carnival would increase the prices the necessary amount to keep the level of quality that they have provided us in the (recent) past.:(

Carnival isn't stupid. They know that they'll loose more passengers by increasing prices than by trying to increase quality.

They'd rather attract with price that first timer that thinks everything is awesome, than to retain that frequent cruiser that should move on to more polished cruise lines, rather than whine about how they've outgrown Carnival. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did read on John Heald's Blog that the beard's are starting to pick up on all the complaints

about the entertainment or lack of so guess we'll have to wait to see if anything changes, has anybody been hearing the same thing?

Gary

YES, I definitely noticed that the music on the lido deck was much lower. Still loud enough to have a good time but not blaring. I had read a couple of other posts along those lines before I left on August 18. So it's possible that that is a change as a result of complaints here and directly to Carnival.

Carnival isn't stupid. They know that they'll loose more passengers by increasing prices than by trying to increase quality.

They'd rather attract with price that first timer that thinks everything is awesome, than to retain that frequent cruiser that should move on to more polished cruise lines, rather than whine about how they've outgrown Carnival. :rolleyes:

And newcomers spend more money on average than repeat customers so they make up for the lower cabin costs with income generated on board.

My suggestion to OP is maybe its time to try something new for vacations, if lack of paper receipt is worthy of mention. We become jaded to anything after a period of time and as I get older (in 50s) nothing is as good as it used to be, and I could write a list that goes on for days. The more you do something the less impressive it is, and you start to notice the imperfections. The good is not as good, but the bad seems to get worse. I have only been cruising for about 6 years, we switched because of things we noticed on land based vacations that just were not like the good ole days, so we tried something new. I find cruising to be good value, and have enjoyed them all even on CCL. But I have never been on any vacation that I didn't choose to have a good time regardless of how jaded I had become, but I am a glass half full kind of person...It must be a real downer at end of vacation to even remember that you didn't get a paper receipt.

No they haven't. Once they start putting 4,000 people the Ecstasy, then your "claim" would be accurate. Nothing like a little grandstanding though, eh? :D

When that class came out, my first cruise on them was $299 and included airfare. 5 day with an IS. Not sure what they go for now, without airfare.

When that class came out, my first cruise on them was $299 and included airfare. 5 day with an IS. Not sure what they go for now, without airfare.

With my interline discount, there are some 4 night cruises this fall on the Ecstasy for $109.

My suggestion to OP is maybe its time to try something new for vacations, if lack of paper receipt is worthy of mention. We become jaded to anything after a period of time and as I get older (in 50s) nothing is as good as it used to be, and I could write a list that goes on for days. The more you do something the less impressive it is, and you start to notice the imperfections. The good is not as good, but the bad seems to get worse. I have only been cruising for about 6 years, we switched because of things we noticed on land based vacations that just were not like the good ole days, so we tried something new. I find cruising to be good value, and have enjoyed them all even on CCL. But I have never been on any vacation that I didn't choose to have a good time regardless of how jaded I had become, but I am a glass half full kind of person...It must be a real downer at end of vacation to even remember that you didn't get a paper receipt.

Exactly!!

And newcomers spend more money on average than repeat customers so they make up for the lower cabin costs with income generated on board.

That is so true,

I have to admit we spend a third of what we used to when we started cruising. But it also lets us cruise more than once a every couple years.

We have also downgraded our cabin choices over the years. But we cruise more often.

To each there own, but we feel we still get a great value with Carnival.

Maybe I'm too laid back but I haven't cared one bit about the changes over the years. Live music? I could care less, having to ask my room steward for ice? Oh darn I wasted 5 seconds of my life. Food is still better than what I eat at home.

I understand those who say it's not what it was. Life doesn't work that way. It's like when your grandparents would say " well back in my day". We'll we don't live in that day, we live in 2014. The product today has evolved into what it is. People today like to say "It is what it is". If you don't like it or are unhappy then it may be time to try new options, because the product is what it is. It will never go back to what it used to be, and will continue to evolve. It may be better or worse but the fact remains it will be different.

For me I see it more as "change" somethings added, somethings removed. Not just cutbacks.

I always laugh when people say that the sea lunch brunch is a cutback. Really? You can still go twice if you want to eat both breakfast and lunch in the MDR - go once at 8:30 when they open for breakfast and then go again at 12:30-12:45 before they close. I found the food at the brunch better than the old breakfast/lunch menus.

And as for the ice bucket - they didn't take it away so that you can't get ice - it's just on demand. That's not a money saving thing, it's a time saving thing. The cabin Steward doesn't need to fill (and empty) the ice bucket for people who aren't going to use it.

Sailing on the Carnival Dream for 14 nights with my god daughter, we didn't touch the ice bucket once - but that was back when it was filled and emptied twice a day. Why should the cabin steward have to do that when I didn't even notice the bucket?

Maybe I'm too laid back but I haven't cared one bit about the changes over the years. Live music? I could care less, having to ask my room steward for ice? Oh darn I wasted 5 seconds of my life. Food is still better than what I eat at home.

I understand those who say it's not what it was. Life doesn't work that way. It's like when your grandparents would say " well back in my day". We'll we don't live in that day, we live in 2014. The product today has evolved into what it is. People today like to say "It is what it is". If you don't like it or are unhappy then it may be time to try new options, because the product is what it is. It will never go back to what it used to be, and will continue to evolve. It may be better or worse but the fact remains it will be different.

Well said. I think half of the people on here are just here to lambast CCL. It seriously pisses me off.

I have been on 18 cruises. Just my opinion. I don't mind some of the cutbacks to get a good price on the cruise. I can personally customize my cruise. I can now purchase the drink card, I don't mind paying $35 up charge to the Steakhouse, the $12 up charge for Cucina de Captain and the up charge for Bonsai Jap restuarant. You can now cruise to your budget.

What you're hearing are longtime cruisers who have loved Carnival for years and spent thousands of dollars cruising with them. They have watched as the product has devolved into a fraction of what they used to enjoy, and consequently have become disillusioned with Carnival. I see more and more of that with every passing month.

What your hearing is whining that I bought a Toyota and expected to get a Benz. Products change, correction EVERY Product has changed in the last 10 years. You can buy lower cost bargain brands or Better Quality Brands. Carnival Corp has a range of options, want better dinning, book Princess, want Luxury Book Cunard, want a low cost affordable no frills book Carnival. They segmented their Market as they bought different Brands, but you have to pay for what you want. Royal has done the same thing they are just a step different in each market so you really do have choices if you want them, they are just not free.

The OP didnt like the food, show me a Buffet in America that has hot food, very very rare, they gave you free strawberries, but not enough (they were free) and news Flash Carnival cannot control the taste of a strawberry.

Stop buying cheap and expecting the price to stay low and wanting the world in perks, its not going to happen.

In a couple months I will be going on a carnival cruise about exactly a year after my first one. I make everything fun :cool: and am always happy so I will definitely be curious if I even notice anything from a cutback standpoint. It's definitely not something I'll be seeking out, but I'm just curious if I will notice a difference in a year.

In a couple months I will be going on a carnival cruise about exactly a year after my first one. I make everything fun :cool: and am always happy so I will definitely be curious if I even notice anything from a cutback standpoint. It's definitely not something I'll be seeking out, but I'm just curious if I will notice a difference in a year.

It's really about each ones preferences, your personal reasons for cruising, the ship your on, and your prior experiences that will shape your opinions. I took several years off due to family obligations and was shocked when I returned in 2012. Does that mean I quit cruising, or even changes line? No, I actually went and complained, had some problems resolved, found that other things are just the way it is now and decided if I wanted to continue cruising or not! For me, I choose to take several 4 days on smaller/older less expensive trips per year, and 1 or 2 on bigger/newer ships. Each one is enjoyable because I know what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go with an opened mind. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Have a great cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been on 18 cruises. Just my opinion. I don't mind some of the cutbacks to get a good price on the cruise. I can personally customize my cruise. I can now purchase the drink card, I don't mind paying $35 up charge to the Steakhouse, the $12 up charge for Cucina de Captain and the up charge for Bonsai Jap restuarant. You can now cruise to your budget.

You are Carnival's favorite type of person. You should buy a picture package too for the memories.:D

What your hearing is whining that I bought a Toyota and expected to get a Benz. Products change, correction EVERY Product has changed in the last 10 years. You can buy lower cost bargain brands or Better Quality Brands. Carnival Corp has a range of options, want better dinning, book Princess, want Luxury Book Cunard, want a low cost affordable no frills book Carnival. They segmented their Market as they bought different Brands, but you have to pay for what you want. Royal has done the same thing they are just a step different in each market so you really do have choices if you want them, they are just not free.

The OP didnt like the food, show me a Buffet in America that has hot food, very very rare, they gave you free strawberries, but not enough (they were free) and news Flash Carnival cannot control the taste of a strawberry.

Stop buying cheap and expecting the price to stay low and wanting the world in perks, its not going to happen.

No. What's happened is that Carnival has devalued their brand. $109 for a 4 or 5 day cruise? Really? Are they the Earl Scheib of cruising now? "We'll haul any cruiser for $49.99, including wheels and door jambs. Drop it off by 9am and pick it up on your way home from work." They've moved the goal posts on the long time cruiser. Sure, the new cruiser has no idea. That's what Carnival is counting on. But what they've really done is taken a Chevy and re-skinned it as a Yugo and hoping that the new buyer won't know the difference.

I agree with the OP but all the lines are doing the cutback. Cruising is still the way to go and we feel that sometimes something may happen or you experience the bad, but all in all the positives always come out on top. If you try to make your cruise positive it will most often come out that way but if that one thing sticks in your mind its going to put a bad spin on the trip. It's just a trip,meal,show etc. and in the grand theme its not really that important.

Bob The Villages Florida May clear skies and calm seas be with you.

No. What's happened is that Carnival has devalued their brand. $109 for a 4 or 5 day cruise? Really? Are they the Earl Scheib of cruising now? "We'll haul any cruiser for $49.99, including wheels and door jambs. Drop it off by 9am and pick it up on your way home from work." They've moved the goal posts on the long time cruiser. Sure, the new cruiser has no idea. That's what Carnival is counting on. But what they've really done is taken a Chevy and re-skinned it as a Yugo and hoping that the new buyer won't know the difference.

Oh Please!

I've cruised on multiple cruise lines, yet I still enjoyed my recent Carnival cruise and I'm looking forward to our wedding cruise later this month.

None of today's cruise lines match the quality and experience of my first cruise in 1993, but there is no way any of them (even the NCL ship I hated so much) can be compared to a crappy old Yugo.

We pick cruises based mainly on itinerary and price. Carnival delivers a quality product at an affordable price. We are able to book balcony cabins at the price of insides on other lines. The MDR food was very good (especially the desserts!) and the buffet is good. The pools are a little smaller than I prefer, but I don't let it ruin my cruise. I couldn't care less about paper receipts, so I don't remember whether or not I received any. We had a great time on Carnival, and will continue to sail them if the price and itinerary suit.