So Disappointed

gr1634

In a couple months I will be going on a carnival cruise about exactly a year after my first one. I make everything fun :cool: and am always happy so I will definitely be curious if I even notice anything from a cutback standpoint. It's definitely not something I'll be seeking out, but I'm just curious if I will notice a difference in a year.

We pick everything apart..there is some truth and then..wow..it still is not camping. I am interested too RE Carnival's cutbacks as last time was April, 2012...and yes 2009 on a lessor class Carnival was better in all ways.

But I still bet you will have a great time..lol and good times and thanks on that go pro video you posted on your trip..those things are amazing.

Edited by sjn911

We pick everything apart..there is some truth and then..wow..it still is not camping.QUOTE]

Thank you!

I don't "cheerlead" for any line, but I also call it as I see it. These posts complaining about the food and comparing cruises to a Yugo are unreal!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Getting ready for our 13th Carnival cruise in November...yeah, things have changed, some for the better, maybe a few for the worse..but I will tell you that we have a great time every cruise!

Main Dining Room..never left there hungry...

Buffet...1meat, 1 chicken, 1 fish..sides, salad...if it doesn't excite us, we'll go get a burger, deli sandwich, Mongolian wok, or whatever other options are available..

Room service, pretty sure the menu has been the same since our first cruise....

Service..always good, sometimes better than other times...

Evening shows..We always find something to entertain us..if not in the main lounge, then a singer or band somewhere.

(I mention the above examples as they seem to be the most scrutinized)

What's the point? We like what Carnival offers, therefore we cruise with Carnival..if a time comes when that opinion changes, then we too will make a change.

It's petty much like EVERYTHING in life.

It always makes me sad that there is not band on lido anymore. I miss it every time that DJ plays lol. I do agree with a previous poster, Carnival wants the new cruiser and that is why a lot of the activities are always the same (Hairy Man, Welcome Aboard Show, Deck Parties). Yes, we don't have to attend any of it, but it would be fun for us "old heads" to be introduced to something new as well.

No, none of my cruises are ever ruined by any of it. I still cruise and I still love it, but the cutbacks/differences are definitely there.

Edited by cuted126

When we started out cruising, Carnival and Royal Caribbean were equal in quality. We were loyal to both. Now, we are exclusive with Royal and Celebrity. Carnival has cut, cut, cut and cut. My only regret is wasted credits on Carnival. Although we made Platinum, I now wish I had those credits added to my RCCL account!
When you began cruising, were the 2 more or less similarly priced ?

(I am not trying to make a point . Just want to know)

True. And what I'm saying is that I wish Carnival would increase the prices the necessary amount to keep the level of quality that they have provided us in the (recent) past.
I'm not sure. I remember a thread where the person complained about not getting the 75 cents owed on their

on-board account. They were asking how they could get their money back. :eek:

While I don't agree with your opinion that Carnival's racing to the bottom as fast as possible, perhaps they

are getting more then their share of extreme bargain hunters to whom price is everything.

Therefore even a small price increase may be a tough sell.

My first Carnival cruise was on the Celebration in 1998. We paid $1100 for two people in an inside guarantee. My next cruise on Carnival is next weekend, on the Dream, and we paid $750 for two people in an inside guarantee. The only things we miss from cruising years ago are the nightly midnight buffets (which we ended up only doing once or twice anyway), and the free drinks at the Captain's Cocktail Party. On the other hand, the Dream offers much that the Celebration didn't - Serenity area, amazing waterslides, more dining options, more unique bar offerings, the wonderful Ocean Plaza area which we really enjoy... When I look at how much the cost of, say, a trip to Disney has increased since 1998, I am in sheer awe that we can still cruise so affordably.

We used to book one cabin and share it with our children when they were younger - we can now book two cabins and it still comes out cheaper than when we all squeezed into one room. If the cutbacks here and there are the reason for this, then I say hooray for "cutbacks."

My first Carnival cruise was on the Celebration in 1998. We paid $1100 for two people in an inside guarantee. My next cruise on Carnival is next weekend, on the Dream, and we paid $750 for two people in an inside guarantee. The only things we miss from cruising years ago are the nightly midnight buffets (which we ended up only doing once or twice anyway), and the free drinks at the Captain's Cocktail Party. On the other hand, the Dream offers much that the Celebration didn't - Serenity area, amazing waterslides, more dining options, more unique bar offerings, the wonderful Ocean Plaza area which we really enjoy... When I look at how much the cost of, say, a trip to Disney has increased since 1998, I am in sheer awe that we can still cruise so affordably.

We used to book one cabin and share it with our children when they were younger - we can now book two cabins and it still comes out cheaper than when we all squeezed into one room. If the cutbacks here and there are the reason for this, then I say hooray for "cutbacks."

That is the second time I have heard the "free drink" parties have been discontinued. When did this happen? I went to one in May on Sunshine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. I remember a thread where the person complained about not getting the 75 cents owed on their

on-board account. They were asking how they could get their money back. :eek:

While I don't agree with your opinion that Carnival's racing to the bottom as fast as possible, perhaps they

are getting more then their share of extreme bargain hunters to whom price is everything.

I admit, I realized a long time ago that low-budget, new cruisers seem to be their target demographic, and that they aren't interested in keeping long-time cruisers such as me. And I also know that "please raise the price as needed to keep the quality" sounds like crazy-talk to some of those same extreme bargain hunters here.;)

By being the budget cruise line leader and keeping prices so low, for so long, they've created a "new normal" that will be difficult to shake.

I admit, I realized a long time ago that low-budget, new cruisers seem to be their target demographic, and that they aren't interested in keeping long-time cruisers such as me. And I also know that "please raise the price as needed to keep the quality" sounds like crazy-talk to some of those same extreme bargain hunters here.;)

While I do love those very low prices, I don't believe for one minute that they can't "afford" to keep the quality with the same price. Yes, I know things have gone up drastically, but I also know they make an absolute fortune on drinking, gambling, pictures, and on-board shopping! Do not misunderstand me, I cruise with them several times per year because it is convenient and affordable, but to say the decline is due to their inability to provide good service and food due to low prices is not believable to me. I enjoy my cruises with them because I make the best of it, not because they are an excellent class cruise line.

Some cruise lines age with their passengers. That isn't Carnival.

Carnival hasn't lost sight of their target market and has other cruise lines to offer the maturing passenger. Carnival continues to evolve to those coming into their target market as others move out.

As for further reducing the smoking areas on a ship, that's a huge improvement. :)

No. What's happened is that Carnival has devalued their brand. $109 for a 4 or 5 day cruise? Really? Are they the Earl Scheib of cruising now? "We'll haul any cruiser for $49.99, including wheels and door jambs. Drop it off by 9am and pick it up on your way home from work." They've moved the goal posts on the long time cruiser. Sure, the new cruiser has no idea. That's what Carnival is counting on. But what they've really done is taken a Chevy and re-skinned it as a Yugo and hoping that the new buyer won't know the difference.

My, my, my the analogies are really waxing poetic today. Chevy to Yugo, come on. Have they had cutbacks...yes. All cruise lines have. Have they had a rough couple of years.....yes, more than others. Are there "prices" to be paid for all of the...yes. All that being said, I still think they are the value leader and offer pretty much the same product they always have.

If a lobster tail is a bit smaller, I am ok with it, after all I can get another (not true on some of their competition. Is entertainment down a notch.....yes. It will come back when they resettle in at their spot again.

That is the second time I have heard the "free drink" parties have been discontinued. When did this happen? I went to one in May on Sunshine.

The past guest party still has free drinks, but the Captain's Cocktail Party stopped offering free drinks a few years ago. It was replaced by a party with free drinks on the last night of the cruise, but that party was eliminated shortly after it began. I've noticed the drink selection was much-reduced at the past guest party on the Sunshine in January.

For those that are willing to pay higher prices to avoid cutbacks, why not just cruise with Princess? Carnival wants to attract the novice cruiser.

We have been very happy sailing on Carnival. But, if we weren't cruising with our young daughter, we might look elsewhere.

The past guest party still has free drinks, but the Captain's Cocktail Party stopped offering free drinks a few years ago. It was replaced by a party with free drinks on the last night of the cruise, but that party was eliminated shortly after it began. I've noticed the drink selection was much-reduced at the past guest party on the Sunshine in January.

Thanks, I do look forward to the few "free perks" I get[emoji5]️. I drink fast at those past guest parties, and skip the little snacks.

A few thoughts on PPs:

I haven't "outgrown Carnival". Carnival has continued to degrade its product so that I don't even know what to expect (except more cutbacks) from them anymore. Although I have matured some, I would still be very happy to purchase the quality of product they used to provide just a couple years ago. It's Carnival that has changed in this case, not me.

I spend more onboard and on my cabin type now than I did when I started cruising. I am the opposite of those who have gotten more "frugal" with their onboard spending. It is not a rule that the longer you cruise the less of your money the cruise line gets each time. So although they don't seem to care, when Carnival chases cruisers like me away, they do lose money. I know, I know, there will be 100 newbie cruisers ready to fill my place, good riddance, yada yada.:rolleyes: But the kind of cruisers their business model is aiming for aren't exactly big spenders.

To all who don't seem to get it and suggest that I and others who have expressed similar feelings want champagne on a beer budget or I paid a KIA price and expect a Benz: That is not it at all. I paid the KIA price and just want the same car that KIA advertised and led me to expect a few months ago. If it costs more to make the KIA now, fine, understandable. Charge more. But don't crappify it even more and pretend that it's the same product.

I will gladly upgrade my experience when possible and desirable: the Steakhouse, Suites, FTTF, etc. I've even purchased my own foam bed topper for my upcoming cruise to counterbalance that cutback. But there are many things Carnival is taking away that I can't DIY.

And it's not a "back in my day" thing either. I'm comparing Carnival of 2009 to Carnival of 2010. And Carnival 2011 to Carnival 2012, and so on. The product gets degraded constantly. I don't want the good ole' days of 20 or even 10 years ago. I just want to be able to count on some consistency in the product I buy from the same company in the same packaging as a few months ago.

I'm not here to grind an axe against Carnival.:rolleyes: I'm expressing my disappointment that a company I have liked is letting their product I have loved go so downhill.:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDcruising

I have been on 18 cruises. Just my opinion. I don't mind some of the cutbacks to get a good price on the cruise. I can personally customize my cruise. I can now purchase the drink card, I don't mind paying $35 up charge to the Steakhouse, the $12 up charge for Cucina de Captain and the up charge for Bonsai Jap restuarant. You can now cruise to your budget.

You are Carnival's favorite type of person. You should buy a picture package too for the memories.

I am a cruiser that gets the best price. I have the cash to upgrade. I buy what I want.

Edited by IDcruising

While I do love those very low prices, I don't believe for one minute that they can't "afford" to keep the quality with the same price. Yes, I know things have gone up drastically, but I also know they make an absolute fortune on drinking, gambling, pictures, and on-board shopping! Do not misunderstand me, I cruise with them several times per year because it is convenient and affordable, but to say the decline is due to their inability to provide good service and food due to low prices is not believable to me. I enjoy my cruises with them because I make the best of it, not because they are an excellent class cruise line.

One question - how much "drinking, gambling, pictures, and on-board shopping" do you do ?

ShakeyB, While "It is not a rule that the longer you cruise the less of your money the cruise line gets each time.",

there is a strong tendency for most to reduce on board spending . Perhaps only the cabin category goes up with experience.

Edited by richstowe

A few thoughts on PPs:

I haven't "outgrown Carnival". Carnival has continued to degrade its product so that I don't even know what to expect (except more cutbacks) from them anymore. Although I have matured some, I would still be very happy to purchase the quality of product they used to provide just a couple years ago. It's Carnival that has changed in this case, not me.

I spend more onboard and on my cabin type now than I did when I started cruising. I am the opposite of those who have gotten more "frugal" with their onboard spending. It is not a rule that the longer you cruise the less of your money the cruise line gets each time. So although they don't seem to care, when Carnival chases cruisers like me away, they do lose money. I know, I know, there will be 100 newbie cruisers ready to fill my place, good riddance, yada yada.:rolleyes: But the kind of cruisers their business model is aiming for aren't exactly big spenders.

To all who don't seem to get it and suggest that I and others who have expressed similar feelings want champagne on a beer budget or I paid a KIA price and expect a Benz: That is not it at all. I paid the KIA price and just want the same car that KIA advertised and led me to expect a few months ago. If it costs more to make the KIA now, fine, understandable. Charge more. But don't crappify it even more and pretend that it's the same product.

I will gladly upgrade my experience when possible and desirable: the Steakhouse, Suites, FTTF, etc. I've even purchased my own foam bed topper for my upcoming cruise to counterbalance that cutback. But there are many things Carnival is taking away that I can't DIY.

And it's not a "back in my day" thing either. I'm comparing Carnival of 2009 to Carnival of 2010. And Carnival 2011 to Carnival 2012, and so on. The product gets degraded constantly. I don't want the good ole' days of 20 or even 10 years ago. I just want to be able to count on some consistency in the product I buy from the same company in the same packaging as a few months ago.

I'm not here to grind an axe against Carnival.:rolleyes: I'm expressing my disappointment that a company I have liked is letting their product I have loved go so downhill.:(

That is funny you mention those dates 2009-2010. I asked a question regarding the differences I've noted since '09 to certain blogger that does Q & A's. I was not being negative, whining, or complaining just asking what may have happened to cause the differences in my CCL experience. I never got an answer[emoji17]

One question - how much "drinking, gambling, pictures, and on-board shopping" do you do ?

Enough to have never had a room bill under $500, and as much as $2000, per cruise! None of that includes gambling though, I don't gamble. I do love to shop though[emoji3]. I've been on 3 this year and will be on board Liberty on 9/21!

Nothing like comparing apples to oranges (insides to suites) and then concluding that cruising cost more today than it did in 1986. :rolleyes: If you want to compare apples to apples, I sailed the Jubilee (4A, Riviera Deck) in Dec 2000 for $650 for a 5 night cruise. I sailed the Ecstasy (PT, Upper Deck) in Dec 2013 for $149 for a 5 night cruise.

BTW, just look at almost any thread and you will see people who have been paying the same or less and are complaining (except me, I've never had a bad cruise and most likely never will).

My point was to compare just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Platinum cruiser I've seen plenty of changes since our first cruise on the Mardi Gras.

That cruise we had an inside cabin that was so wonderful the beds were bolted to the walls and could not be made into one, the bathroom WAS the shower - you had to remove the TP prior to showering plus anything else you did not want wet. The lights were florescent and flickered a sickly color, very "nice" for getting dressed.

The ship had to stay longer in Nassau as one of the engines needed a new HUGE part, they finally got it installed around 4am and we departed. This wonderful cruise cost only $350 for 3 nights!

The main dining room had people literally stuffed into seats. We were in one of the old-style half moon booths with 4 couples shoved into what should have been 3 couples. The waiter would come over every night to take our orders and regardless of what you wanted, beef, tuna, pasta, etc. - it was "So Sorry, we out of that, How about Chicken?" and that's what you got. Then he would take a spoon, rub the back of on his clothes, show you the back and say "wanna see A$$h@le?" ---- to EVERY person EVERY night. The final night we all took our spoons, show HIM the back and said "Wanna see BIG A$$h@le?" in unison. He went away un-happy and we thought we were not going to get chicken that night.

The only entertainment was a Men's beauty pageant, old farts dressed up as "ladies", a passenger talent contest (now that was funny, sad but funny), beer drinking contest (hey Free Beer!) and several others of the same vein.

Drinks were cheap (compared to today) and strong, but that may have been to mask the odor of the ship.... Smoking was allowed even in the dining room. Food was not available after main dining times except from room service WHICH was cold cheese sandwiches, BLT (sometimes without tomato, lettuce and bacon, with a piece of cheese added), some stale chips and cookies that were made during the 1800's. The only "free" stuff was tap water (Ugh), coffee (would make your hair stand straight up!) and some sort of watered down Kool-aid (maybe).

We will never forget that cruise and about 2 years later actually went on another Carnival cruise. The children loved it and we were hooked.

The cruises in late 1990's and early 2000's were cheaper, cleaner, nicer and the food was available 24/7 that you could eat AND you got more than chicken at dinner. Real bands playing, all kinds of stuff for our kids to do, really a great value for the money.

Towards 2010 the value was still great but small things did seem to go by the wayside... I always loved the steel bands at sail-away (sadly I get the reason for their demise, still miss them though), food was hit and miss... one ship it was great, the next was barely OK.

Our children are now grown and our main reasons for Carnival has left home.

We now drive 10+ hours to cruise on another line that does provide an excellent cruise, really good food, a drink package that truly is AI, no limit and includes coffee's, water, teas, fresh juice, etc. I can get a Bailey's with my latte, grab a glass of bubbly with OJ and it DOES NOT count against some number! The price is really not that much and comparing inside/ocean view it seems that sometimes they are under Carnival. We choose a higher cabin type and perks come with that, ones that Carnival will never offer.

So for us, Carnival is a great quick getaway (the Fantasy) 15 minutes from home but not our go to cruise line anymore. If I had small children up to 15ish I would still be cruising Carnival but now I doubt I will ever make Diamond! Thinking back to the first Carnival cruise it's amazing I ever took another cruise on any line but with all the negatives we still had a great time!

Edited by bobsfamily

I actually like the 2.0 changes, where I can choose where I eat. Everyone has the option or not to pay for up charge. Let us be real here. You can walk on a Carnival Cruise the week of Christmas for $599. Of, course they expect everyone to spend more money on the ship. They are a business after all. That is less than $100 a day. I can't even get a hotel room in Orlando for less than that.

Edited by IDcruising
Spelling

I actually like the 2.0 changes, where I can choose where I eat. Everyone has the option or not to pay for up charge. Let us be real here. You can walk on a Carnival Cruise the week of Christmas for $599. Of, course they expect everyone to spend more money on the ship. They are a business after all. That us less than $100 a day. I can't even get a hotel room in Orlando for less than that.

Hahaha, my granddaughter was cruised out a few months back after having gone with me on 3 consecutive Thursday-Sunday weekends, so I took her to Orlando for a long weekend at Aquatica. After driving, hotel, eating out, etc. we made a deal that mom and dad can take her on land vacations, Grammy prefers to cruise[emoji4] She's taken a break since May, but we're off again in 2 weeks for Sunday to Friday! Can't beat the price, or the relaxation and fun!