So Disappointed

gr1634

One of the expensive items on a cruise, besides fuel is the food costs. After cutting everything else, food has to change. Smaller portions and lesser quality. Unless you PAY for the upgrade restaurant. Carnival is and always will be geared towards people looking for CHEAP vacation and booze hounds. Well, you get what you pay for and then you complain. I don't get it. Death and taxes are the two constants. What do you get for your loyalty?? Really, what?? Get on a little sooner? Wash some of your clothes? Big deal. Try someone else. We did and never coming back. There are cuts everywhere but very small ones. You are going to argue price. Nonsense. If you watch, you can cruise a different line for the same and sometimes LESS. And the way it used to be. So LEAVE. Would you stay with a car dealership, doctor, plumber that kept giving you less and less BUT didn't raise their prices?? Your logic is flawed.

Actually, the per diem cost per passenger on food has never been above $10 per passenger. Imagine that.

I would say their plan is working then. Drive sales to the upgrade restaurants . The other line with minimal free food and a bunch of pay venues don't seem to lack in sales. Carnival will be there soon with each new ship and remodel.

Then they're still doing something wrong. My experience has always been less than half empty restaurants, and even the new ships have less seating than the older ones.

by the early saver I didn't book penalty

Or rather, I booked a cabin on a courtesy hold with the early saver rate thru the website. Now I didn't actually pay for the room or deposit! Just booked a particular room I wanted. Later in the day I was able to get up with our PVP and finalize our booking at a different rate and rate structure that is available to us and not thru carnivals website. For whatever reason, the early saver crap carnival says, still applies to our non early saver rate! So now that I need to cancel our cruise which is still outside by three weeks the final payment date. They say we have to pay the cancellation fees and transfer 400 bucks of the deposit to a future cruise booking!!!!

Load of bull I say! Our rate we booked does not have any cancellation or change fees associated with it! I was assured of this at the time and even though I questioned my pvp about this then, and several times this year the pvp said not too worry about it!!! Well I worried an PISSED OFF! right now!!!

Anyone else have a similar screwed over story?

and yea, service, quality and selection of foods declining for years now, my next cruise is ROYAL CARRIBBEAN!

already booked next april, in stead of looking at feb on carnival, will be looking RCI or Celebrityfor feb!

You booked early saver and then tried to play the system.

Now you're pissed because Carnival is holding you to the rate and restrictions you booked under.

Perhaps you screwed yourself .

Thanks OP, for expressing thoughts many of us have. People post "adequate" this or "average" that. Cruising didn't used to be about average, you got a bona fide experience you don't ordinarily get, on Carnival not quite opulence, but far more than you'd get at Golden Corral.

When they stopped supplying the ice bucket unless requested I was really thrown for a loop. Really!?!?

Many more social media cruise board outlets have sprung up over the past few years, which has a LOT more activity than this site according to the stats. It seems the hits on this board have dramatically declined over the past couple of years, while the others have skyrocketed.

And yet the results and complaints are the same.

You must be a newbie. You speaketh blasphemy and subject to a naughty note and timeout.

Many more social media cruise board outlets have sprung up over the past few years, which has a LOT more activity than this site according to the stats. It seems the hits on this board have dramatically declined over the past couple of years, while the others have skyrocketed.

What ? No one told me there was an alternative !;)

And yet the results and complaints are the same.

Are you talking about Facebook or another cruising specific site? And do you know for sure that hits have gone down on CC? Is it due to stagnant roll calls? Just wondering. It certainly seems like there is much less traffic.

Agree. And there are many cruise lines out there that offer a different guest experience and higher level of service. I've personally cruised on a couple of premium and upper premium lines and they are all very nice to say the least. But my most memorable and overall funnest (?) times have been aboard Carnival.

With that said on most every cruise I've taken, I always make small talk with others onboard. Usually about cruising. And virtually every time I encounter someone, usually older, who's been a long time cruiser, a variation of "Well, she's a nice ship, and we're having a good time, but I've been sailing with ____________ for many years and lemme tell you, it's just not like it used to be. Why back in the day they used to give you this.... and they used to give you that... and the cabins all had this... and the dining room always served that.... and the..........." yada yada yada.

Wow. My experience is pretty much the opposite and the reason is as the mainstream cruise lines have made cut backs to keep their prices low and appeal to every budget I have upgraded my own cruise experience.

My first cruise was in an inside cabin on the NCL Norway. That was 1986. My cost was approx. $950 with airfare included. My most recent cruise was in an aft penthouse suite on the NCL Sun. My cost was about $3,300. Both out of Miami. Norway 7 nights, Sun 11 nights. I now do some specialty dining and Chef's Table. So add to my Sun cruise making it $3,500.

So I paid a daily rate of $137 in 1986 and $318 in 2014. Two and a half times as much. Factor in inflation and my salary differential and yes, I pay more but get more. How many people are paying the same or less as they have for years and are complaining?

I've been reading these Carnival cutbacks threads for years. By now they can be split in two parts: those who are disappointed and those who aren't disappointed yet. The first group grows bigger by the month, and the second group is mighty small at this point.

I'm a rational person who has sailed many lines, including 8 Carnival cruises over ten years, and who does not demand too much on vacation. I have to say that Carnival has hit a level that makes me not want to cruise them. Keep in mind we are talking about spending THOUSANDS of dollars cruising. We have a right to expect a certain level of food quality. Tried penne mariscos lately? How many people does it take to come back and post about lido dinner and lunch food?

As another poster said, my babies are almost grown up. One year left, one more Carnival cruise.

What do you people think they're saving by not having lido live music? Just wondering. Wonder what they're saving by doing away with ice buckets. Is the margin that thin??

Wow. My experience is pretty much the opposite and the reason is as the mainstream cruise lines have made cut backs to keep their prices low and appeal to every budget I have upgraded my own cruise experience.

My first cruise was in an inside cabin on the NCL Norway. That was 1986. My cost was approx. $950 with airfare included. My most recent cruise was in an aft penthouse suite on the NCL Sun. My cost was about $3,300. Both out of Miami. Norway 7 nights, Sun 11 nights. I now do some specialty dining and Chef's Table. So add to my Sun cruise making it $3,500.

So I paid a daily rate of $137 in 1986 and $318 in 2014. Two and a half times as much. Factor in inflation and my salary differential and yes, I pay more but get more. How many people are paying the same or less as they have for years and are complaining?

I'm probably paying less. I can't remember. But who is asking for prices to be so low? For a regular cruiser that's thousands of dollars a year. Even one cruise a year is going to be over a thousand bucks. We can't afford a couple hundred more? I get that on HAL or NCL you can have a "cruise within a cruise", with the Haven and Neptune Suites and specialty restaurants. How can you do that on Carnival? Serenity deck with sticky lounge chair cushions that is always full? Go to the steakhouse? So what do you do for the other 22 hours in the day? Play bean bag toss and scrounge around for ice? Hang out with people wearing Duck Dynasty people in the dining room (yes, yes, Fantasy, just saw it)?

I wonder how many of the cutbacks could be reversed if they just tacked an average of $50 onto each fare (maybe about $40 on Insides, up to $80 on Suites). As Seago2 said, who (that can afford to cruise) can't afford that? Food, entertainment, and maybe even mattresses:eek:;) could be brought back to some semblance of their former quality. And further cutbacks could be halted. *Sigh* A girl can dream.:rolleyes:

But Carnival isn't interested in offering us the same quality they did just a couple years ago. They don't seem too interested in keeping any of us coming back, for that matter. All they seem to care about is packing as many low-budget, usually new cruisers onto their ships as possible. I came to realize this is their business model a long time ago. And for those of us that don't fit into their desired demographic, it's either a lot of what I call "DIY cruising" on Carnival, trying to counteract the cutbacks; or just move on. I'm doing both.

But I'm also going to continue to express my dissatisfaction with the continuing cutbacks (sorry, cheerleaders;)). As others have pointed out, my "side" is constantly growing in numbers. And maybe someday our combined voices will be enough to make a difference.

Why do other cruisers think that when one is expressing an opinion, we are whining? We still cruise Carnival because we enjoy cruising. However, there have been cutbacks & service has been lacking. It may not be every cruise or on every ship, but even the staff tell us it is harder to do their job as they are spread so thin. It is amazing that the ones that have smiles on their faces continue to be able to do so day in & day out. We have seen a marked difference during our past three cruises. Will we continue to cruise Carnival - yes! Are we at times disappointed & disillusioned, - yes. Don't we all experience that some time in our lives.

I have been told that my pvp should have cancelled the room, and rebooked the res

since I had not paid for the room, and had it on a courtesy hold, nothing lost

however, after a couple hours on the phone this afternoon I was given assurances of a full refund

then I get home and my confirm letter about the refund now assesses a 250 dollar penalty!!

supposedly, now, someone is working behind the scenes with my not steaming "on hold" for time on end, to work on it......

Hmmmm...let's see.

The cost of fuel has risen drastically, the cost of meat and fresh produce has risen drastically, the cost of uniforms, cleaning solutions, pool chemicals, port fees, etc.......NONE of these have come down in price, in fact, some have nearly doubled. Coupled with that are the share holders who feel that they still want a return on their investments.

We wonder why there have been cuts and a lot of them have been noticeable?

Welcome to the world of business in our current economy, my friends.

Sorry to rain on our parades (yes, including mine) but there is no possible way that cruise lines, or any industry in today's economy can continue to give the same service for the same prices as they used to, even 2 years ago.

Believe me, even a bad day on a Carnival cruise, or any cruise line for that matter, is better than a day at work.

Why do other cruisers think that when one is expressing an opinion, we are whining? We still cruise Carnival because we enjoy cruising. However, there have been cutbacks & service has been lacking. It may not be every cruise or on every ship, but even the staff tell us it is harder to do their job as they are spread so thin. It is amazing that the ones that have smiles on their faces continue to be able to do so day in & day out. We have seen a marked difference during our past three cruises. Will we continue to cruise Carnival - yes! Are we at times disappointed & disillusioned, - yes. Don't we all experience that some time in our lives.

I completely agree Wendy, the differences from years past are glaring! I have been on 6 in the past 9 months, all on Carnival. Some have been full of problems, most resolved timely by staff, others have been great from the beginning to end. Sometimes dinners are eatable, sometimes I leave MDR content on chocolate melting cake:D I now cruise to relax and spend valuable time several times a year with my granddaughter, a few times solo, and once a year I get my husband on board a big ship in the fleet. I make sure to tip my steward and servers handsomely, and take it for what it is. I guess I choose quantity over quality:).

Hmmmm...let's see.

The cost of fuel has risen drastically' date=' the cost of meat and fresh produce has risen drastically, the cost of uniforms, cleaning solutions, pool chemicals, port fees, etc.......NONE of these have come down in price, in fact, some have nearly doubled. Coupled with that are the share holders who feel that they still want a return on their investments.

We wonder why there have been cuts and a lot of them have been noticeable?

Welcome to the world of business in our current economy, my friends.

Sorry to rain on our parades (yes, including mine) [b']but there is no possible way that cruise lines, or any industry in today's economy can continue to give the same service for the same prices as they used to, even 2 years ago.[/b]

Believe me, even a bad day on a Carnival cruise, or any cruise line for that matter, is better than a day at work.

Who's asking for that?:confused: Of course prices would have to go up. That's already been mentioned repeatedly here. Don't be sorry - you're not raining on anyone's parade because you're not telling us anything we don't already know.;)

Yes and always from the same whiners .(Sorry whiners ;);))

Not so. I'm a new whiner. Didn't think I would get to this place. We had a good cruise on Glory if you'll recall. I am very go with the flow. Carnival has really sunk.

Or was it Miracle? OMG was that two years ago??

Edited by Seago2

Until folks begin to vote with their feet you can expect the diminishing services to continue.

If you want big service all you have to do is pay big bucks. Don't cruise Carnival. Switch to Silversea and all your concerns about decreased service will disappear.

Edited by travler27

Not so. I'm a new whiner. Didn't think I would get to this place. We had a good cruise on Glory if you'll recall. I am very go with the flow. Carnival has really sunk.

Or was it Miracle? OMG was that two years ago??

Welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies.:cool: They just have pom-poms and blinders.;):p

Same reason some take a limo, a cab, or the subway. All get you there.

But when a cab company doesn't make me happy, I stop using them. I had a car booked to pick us us at the cruise terminal in NYC last summer, and the driver couldn't figure out how to get into the terminal p/u area. I canceled with the dispatcher on the spot and got on line for a yellow cab. I will never use that cab company again. There are other choices. You can't truly compare a subway, because there isn't competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's asking for that?:confused: Of course prices would have to go up. That's already been mentioned repeatedly here. Don't be sorry - you're not raining on anyone's parade because you're not telling us anything we don't already know.;)

All I'm saying is that we should not expect the same level of service or food quality if we're paying the same prices that we have come to expect from Carnival.

Something has to give, so either prices go up, or quality and service goes down