Ship Shuttle from Port in Marseille

MikeyD30

We're on the Equinox in October and visiting Marseille. Does anyone know if Celebrity offers a shuttle from the cruise port to the vieux port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were there on Equinox in Ma/June. Celebrity did offer a shuttle which was in my opinion too expensive. City of Marseille has a free shuttle on the weekends but there can be a long line to get on it, especially when the ship has just docked. Some walked out of the port to get a city bus. We didn't do that so can't comment. For several people a taxi may be better than Celebrity shuttle.

We used the free city shuttle back to the ship from Metro station. This was fine no line or waiting.

Marseille is not a great tourist location. I highly recommend getting away to some wonderful places in the South of France.

Here are some suggestions

Avignon

Les Baux de Provence

Cassis

Aix-en-Provence

Thanks for the information & alternate suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Marseille is not a great tourist location. I highly recommend getting away to some wonderful places in the South of France.

Here are some suggestions

Avignon

Les Baux de Provence

Cassis

Aix-en-Provence

I have to say, I LOVE Marseille :-)

20140426-0918494.jpg

If you do not want to take the expensive shuttle, you can take the public bus. Here is a video link to an explanation:

Marseille is very easy to explore on your own and there is just so much to see. There is the charming "quartier LE PANIER" just where the shuttle will drop you off (Rue H. Tasso). There are beautiful original Cafés and Boulangeries where you can get a REAL croissant au beurre.

You can take the little train (8 €) up the Canebière (up to the Cathédrale Notre Dame de la garde, that offers stunning views),

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

or you can also take the bus N°60 for just 1,80 € per person.

http://www.rtm.fr/en. It departs Vieux Port (right where the shuttle drops you off).

Down at the harbor there are a lot of ships from the Compagnies Maritimes that will take you on beautiful coastal cruises to see the Château d'If (The Count of Monte Cristo, (departing every hour, 9 €) or the Calanques (2 h 15, (23 € or the bigger tour 29 €, 3,15h).

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/what-to-do/visit-marseille/boat-excursions/

20140426-0918495.jpg

20140426-0918498.jpg

There are two "Galeries lafayettes" where you can do some shopping. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants at the old harbor.

You really should give Marseille a chance - it was culture capital in 2013 and they really invested in infrastructure...

it is lovely !

Edited by plucasana

I have to say, I LOVE Marseille :-)

20140426-0918494.jpg

If you do not want to take the expensive shuttle, you can take the public bus. Here is a video link to an explanation:

Marseille is very easy to explore on your own and there is just so much to see. There is the charming "quartier LE PANIER" just where the shuttle will drop you off (Rue H. Tasso). There are beautiful original Cafés and Boulangeries where you can get a REAL croissant au beurre.

You can take the little train (8 €) up the Canebière (up to the Cathédrale Notre Dame de la garde, that offers stunning views),

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

or you can also take the bus N°60 for just 1,80 € per person.

http://www.rtm.fr/en. It departs Vieux Port (right where the shuttle drops you off).

Down at the harbor there are a lot of ships from the Compagnies Maritimes that will take you on beautiful coastal cruises to see the Château d'If (The Count of Monte Cristo, (departing every hour, 9 €) or the Calanques (2 h 15, (23 € or the bigger tour 29 €, 3,15h).

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/what-to-do/visit-marseille/boat-excursions/

20140426-0918495.jpg

20140426-0918498.jpg

There are two "Galeries lafayettes" where you can do some shopping. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants at the old harbor.

You really should give Marseille a chance - it was culture capital in 2013 and they really invested in infrastructure...

it is lovely !

I totally agree. I return to Marseille whenever I get the chance.

I also love Cassis but wouldn't bother with Aix.

Having visited marseille on our cruise last year, we were surprised at how beautiful the city was and how much it had improved from previous visits as a result of massive expenditure from the local government, they have built a new museum which is one of the best in the entire Mediterranean and the waterfront is lovely for a nice walk in the sunshine. It is certainly a great city to explore and the free shuttle bus is extremely organised. We easily managed to spend an entire day looking around without getting bored

Thanks for all the information. You've now made my decision really difficult. After the first few posts I was ready to book a tour to Saint Remy, but now I have to look a little closer at touring Marseille. Regardless, both locations look good, and I think that we will have a wonderful time regardless of where we end up visiting.

Our last cruise (July) on HAL had Marseille on its itinery. The port is some distance from the city centre but certainly not 30 minutes as posted above. Hal were charging $15pp which we thought was outrageous. The hopon-hopoff bus will be waiting in the car park. There will be dozens of taxis waiting also. However, If you venture outside of the gate and fencing, turn left, you will see the FREE SHUTTLE provided by the city of Marseille. when 1 bus is full, the second bus pulls straight up so there is little waiting. Of course the cruise lines tell no-one of this service It starts at 9.00 and takes the port road route. It is very well organised with a dispatcher at the destination. However, it does take a little while longer to walk into the actual city centre, but well worth it. There are little kiosks along the water front with different excursions offered all for a reasonable amount of euros. It is a really lovely city and it would be a pity to miss it.

• 2 months later...
Having visited marseille on our cruise last year, we were surprised at how beautiful the city was and how much it had improved from previous visits as a result of massive expenditure from the local government, they have built a new museum which is one of the best in the entire Mediterranean and the waterfront is lovely for a nice walk in the sunshine. It is certainly a great city to explore and the free shuttle bus is extremely organised. We easily managed to spend an entire day looking around without getting bored

It seems you took the free shuttle bus at Marseille. Where does it drop us off in the city? In one of the above posts it is mentioned Rue H. Tasso. Is this where the free shuttle comes or the cruise shuttles?

Our last visit to Marseille was with Liberty otS. Royal Caribbean offered a shuttle boat to the old port which we did not take. We took a taxi into town for about 20 Euro for the 4 of us. Contrary to what was mentioned in the daily newsletter it was easy to get a taxi.

We enjoyed Marseille. If you haven´t been before, it´s a nice place to visit.

Here is a link to a review I posted on a Germman cruise forum with many many pics. Never mind the German text - I guess the pics speak for themselves... decide yourself ;)

http://www.kreuzfahrtinfos.at/forum/index.php/Thread/5514-Reisebericht-Liberty-of-the-Seas-Westliches-Mittelmeer-25-05-2014/?postID=48317#post48317