Cozumel: Best time of the year for beaches/snorkeling?

j0j0u

Hi y'all.

Say, if I go in November for 10-14 days what's the chance of having a few warms day for a good swim, snorkeling, suntanning?

What about end of December, any better/any worse?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi y'all.

Say, if I go in November for 10-14 days what's the chance of having a few warms day for a good swim, snorkeling, suntanning?

What about end of December, any better/any worse?

Many thanks in advance!

Cozumel has 2 seasons. Hot and Hotter. You'll be fine no matter when you go.

I have been to Cozumel 5 times and to this day I have yet to find a place or tour that provides a great snorkeling experience.

Did snorkel, snuba, helmet dive, snorkel , dolphins.

So.........................

Maybe a future poster will enlighten me.

Thanks for letting me hijack your thread:D

I put this in my favorites waiting for the answer.

Thanks

I put this in my favorites waiting for the answer.

Thanks

Right. It would be interesting to see an answer that I can't find in Wikipedia, Virtual Tourist, Trip Advisor etc. Btw none of those give you any insight when it is actually good to go, how the water feels in November and December. There are climate charts that show low record at 48F which is freezing. How often does this happen, no idea.:confused:

Thanks! What about December, nice and warm too or a bit chillier?:p

I have been in the water November and December, no problem but on a land vacation last year at Thanksgiving the weather was cool and windy and certainly not beach or swimming weather. The Ironman swim was shortened due to weather and current conditions. The following week all was fine and sunny again. Cozumel has its "days" just like everywhere else, just not so many of them!

It's going to be seasonal, so will it be as nice as it is in April or May? Maybe not, but the good news is that the water temps don't change much so it should be swimmable even if the air is cool or windy (or both). Pools, now that's a different story. In Nov - Jan they can be downright chilly, but the ocean is always pleasant.

As far as the roughness/waves/snorkelability, well that will be up to Mother nature that week. Can't predict that.

Best snorkeling I've done in Cozumel was out to the reef on the East side of the island. We went with a dune buggy tour. We buggies up the north east coast a bit (no roads, only sand paths) and had lunch on the beach. They then let us snorkel for about two hours. It was quite a long swim out to the reef, but when we got out there it was fantastic. I've not seen any reefs on the west side of the island that even come close. It was about 30 ft of water and the coralheads came right up to the surface. We saw divers down below us going through caverns and holes in the coral heads. It was an amazing snorkeling experience. If you can find some one who would take you out there on a boat (like I said the swim was looooooong) THAT would be the place to go. Unfortunately, I think most of the snorkel tours stick to the west side of the island, which is really not very good snorkeling.

When we were in Cozumel in January the sky was a bit overcast in the morning but the water was perfectly warm. Much warmer than swimming in lakes in the northern U.S. on a sunny day in August. I'm sure there's a chance of a temporary cold snap, but it's much more likely you'll be swimming and sunning.

We were in cozumel for a week last December. The water temperature was about 80-82. It rained for almost the whole week though, intermittent some days and non-stop on others.

It was only cold in the water when it was raining, because you could feel it on your legs and back when snorkeling. (For scuba it was fine, and once underwater you had no idea.)

Edited by skittl1321

Cozumel has 2 seasons. Hot and Hotter. You'll be fine no matter when you go.

Absolutely LOVE this statement. :D

We have been to Cozumel twice in December and once in February and once in March and had nothing but hot and sunny weather. It's the Caribbean, so they don't tend to get "cold" like in the states. But, the weather is the weather and sometimes mother nature gets crabby. It's just hard to tell what type of day you'll have. :)