sneakers for fitness centre?

cruise-kitty

Next week I'll be on a 10 day mediterranean cruise. The ship has a very nice fitness centre I would like to try out. But let's face it: I probably won't work out every day. Now I wonder about shoes: gym sneakers take a lot of space in the suitcase and I can't even wear on the street. To bring or not to bring?

Next week I'll be on a 10 day mediterranean cruise. The ship has a very nice fitness centre I would like to try out. But let's face it: I probably won't work out every day. Now I wonder about shoes: gym sneakers take a lot of space in the suitcase and I can't even wear on the street. To bring or not to bring?

If you are seriously planning on going to the fitness center, definitely bring, you could get hurt wearing inappropriate footwear at the gym. I've seen many in the gym without sneakers and I don't understand why they are allowed to be on the equipment. Have you considered wearing them while traveling?

From the opposite perspective, what sorts of footwear ARE you planning to bring? For loads of walking on a Med cruise, I'm assuming you are going to bring something sturdy & good for walking - if you can walk 10 miles on cobblestones, presumably a little time on the treadmill isn't going to hurt.

No, you should NOT go to the gym in flipflops or heels. But a sturdy walking shoe or sandal? I don't see why not.

And the 3rd perspective is - combine the issue and plan to bring a pair of shoes that can both be used in the fitness center AND in ports? I hate to bring things I won't use many times - I try to pack as light as possible. I'm not much of a gym-goer (in general preferring to just walk around the ship or the ports) but sometimes the allure of fun equipment to try out is hard to pass up - but I usually have some footwear that can do double or triple duty with me - a hiking shoe, a hiking sandal, a sturdy ankle boot etc....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I don't know why you can't wear them on the street. Unless I am doing really serious hiking and need my hiking boots, or swimming and wear my water shoes, I wear my sketchers for all walking around ports. I wear them on the plane and pack my evening shoes.

If you have any foot, ankle or knee issues - bring your good running shoes. They provide more support. I don't wear athletic shoes onshore but will wear them for workouts and even just walks on the deck. Plus, it never hurts to have a pair of shoes to swap out if you get a blister, sore toe, etc.

On HAL I'm pretty sure they'll approach you & politely throw you out if you're not wearing sneakers. I had a very worried looking employee approach me once in a HAL fitness center, and I had to assure him I was only looking around and NOT exercising (wearing Teva sandals). You need to bring the shoes & clothing that are appropriate to the activity/setting, or skip that activity/setting IMO.

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/7/14

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/11/15

The cruise fitness centers don't require shoes that haven't been worn outside of a gym (ie, basketball or volleyball shoes). I get the feeling that might be what you were really asking. My regular gym has that requirement

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't wear most athletic shoes because of how the bones on the top of my feet are structured, so I wear Clarks, Keen and Ahnu shoes to work out. all of them have rubber soles just like athletic shoes but are much lighter and fit me better which makes them safer for me to work out in them. They don't look like heavy walking shoes but they serve the purpose admirably and that is from a woman who has had 5 foot surgeries and is happy to have something comfortable to walk and work out in.

The last three ships I've been on had very strong wording about wearing proper running shoes/trainers while using the gym facilities. And for good reason.

That said, Europe is very port intensive. You'll be going from sun up to sun down every day. You might decide that just the walking you'll do is enough exercise. You could also practice yoga which is done in bare feet. Even when I include my travel mat, my yoga gear takes less space than my running gear. :)