Just off the Navigator - a few suite observations

DebJ14

Have you read some of the reviews on the Member review page for the Navigator of the Seas ? Many of them say the NOS is basically a floating garbage barge that purposely tortures and starves the passengers. ....

I know, while disembarkation, a guy in front of us said " wasn't this the worst cruise ever.

All six of us said no at the same time.

We had such a good time, no rain, no rough water, good food, great staff.

As far as starving us, I gained 12 pounds !!!

I guess you can not please all the people.

Have you read some of the reviews on the Member review page for the Navigator of the Seas ? Many of them say the NOS is basically a floating garbage barge that purposely tortures and starves the passengers.

Makes me appreciate a pretty balanced review like this one all the more. Some of them read like the folks on the Triumph got off easy.

Have to temper my enthusiasm, we ARE booked for a Navigator trip, it's the LAST one from Galveston before NOS repositions, so if we're blown away and want to go again... not so easy.

This cruise was no 2 of a B2B for us, and we got off to walk around Galveston on 8/31 - saw two weeks of embark and disembark.

On 8/31 around 12:00 we got back to the pier and they directed us to the suite/Diamond line - yup, this line merged with three others. Line on far right was much faster. Still only took around 1/2 hour from getting in line to back on ship. Week before took 1 1/2 hours arriving at 10:30 and suite/diamond had their own scanner.

Getting off on 8/31 was nasty - got in line with walkoffs at 8 and got through immigration at 9. Asked weird questions, as well. Walkoff on 9/7 took 20 minutes and we were essentially waved through immigration. So stories about having problems coming back from Belize/Roaatan are true.

Tenders were a bit slow in Grand Cayman. Took a long time to load 200 people. We were on an excursion and they basically released everyone at once to go down, but then split into two tenders. Ours was maybe 10 minutes ahead of the second one. Still went much faster than Belize, where they did send specific tours down one at a time (smaller tenders).

We found food in the MDR great for 14 nights. DW ordered the always available steak most nights and it was very tender. Tip - if you like fries with the steak, ask for steak fries. They are screaming hot while the normal fries cool quickly. Dining staff in Mytime was great (Gabriel Gomez and Sergio Reyes), and the ladies up front do everything they can to get you in quickly.

Windjammer food was ok, but changed very little over 14 days. We stopped in one night to check on variety (Princess serves MDR food in the buffet at night) hoping for the molten chocolate cake but dinner selection was almost identical to lunch.

First week ice show had the Russian couple with quick change costumes, second had an acrobat with a rolling wheel. Rest of show was same both weeks. Tip - sit in middle of side around row 2. You get to interact with the cast.

If you want to avoid the noise around the pool, sit in the solarium area. Also has better pads on loungers. Still has loud bingo/auction announcements, though. First week had a ton of chair hogs, second only a few.

All in all, Navigator was great, with great crew, decent entertainment and good food. Would certainly sail again, and would gladly do another B2B out of Galveston.

We were on this cruise, too. Hi, Deb! Sorry we didn't cross paths.

This was our first RCCL cruise, so everything was a new procedure. Embarkation was surprisingly quick and uneventful for us. We arrived in Galveston about 10:45. We stood in the priority embarkation line for suites and Crown & Anchor status (attained through our X sailings) until 11:00, made it through security and then check-in by 11:15. We were onboard by 11:30. As the cabins were not ready until 12:30, we skipped the Windjammer and walked around the ship. Our luggage was delivered about 1:15 and we unpacked/relaxed until the safety drill. We'd grade embarkation as an A.

We also dined in Sabor twice. It was relaxing due to the service and menu... and the tequila laced sangria!

We chose early walk-off disembarkation... it was a breeze. We were in our vehicle by 7:20 and home in Sugar Land by 8:30.

We've come to the conclusion that every line has it's strengths and weaknesses. We loved our cabin (Large Panoramic Oceanview on the 12th floor) for the price we paid. We did not care for the food in the Windjammer. Very inferior quality and selection compared to other lines we have sailed.

Bottom line... we'd sail the Navigator again if we could get the cabin we like for a reasonable price. However, it would not be our first choice out of the Galveston/Houston area.

Our next cruise is on the Royal Princess out of Brooklyn in October. A new adventure (flying ... UGH!) awaits!

B

We are booked in a larger Panoramic oceanview next week.... How was the cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked in a larger Panoramic oceanview next week.... How was the cabin?

Shhh... let's keep it a secret as the cabin is amazing. You'll love it.

It's the main reason we'd sail the Navigator again.

B

Edited by bellebaby

Shhh... let's keep it a secret as the cabin is amazing. You'll love it.

It's the main reason we'd sail the Navigator again.

B

Did you happen to take any pictures? We are taking our 3 year old and one year old... We changed to this because of the larger square footage and 3 year old will love the windows. Did you have to close the curtains at night or could keep them open all the time?

Did you happen to take any pictures? We are taking our 3 year old and one year old... We changed to this because of the larger square footage and 3 year old will love the windows. Did you have to close the curtains at night or could keep them open all the time?

My husband is in charge of the photos. I'll see what we have.

We kept the curtains open all the time, even at night. We had a full moon on the last two evenings. Beautiful. Sunrises and sunsets are great, too.

The bathroom is rather small. I don't know what it will be like with young children. There is plenty of room for the children to play in the living area.

B

My husband is in charge of the photos. I'll see what we have.

We kept the curtains open all the time, even at night. We had a full moon on the last two evenings. Beautiful. Sunrises and sunsets are great, too.

The bathroom is rather small. I don't know what it will be like with young children. There is plenty of room for the children to play in the living area.

B

Thanks a bunch.. You can also contact us through email jaydlibby @ gmail

There was one on our cabin crawl in April...fantastic cabin! Here are some pictures:

DSC01064W-L.jpg

DSC01066W-L.jpg

DSC01068W-L.jpg

DSC01067W-L.jpg

DSC01069W-L.jpg

DSC01059W-L.jpg

Always interesting to read different points of view. We were on the 8/24 sailing (week before OP), and had a blast. We are D+ but had never sailed NAV. I was impressed with the refurb changes, the overall condition of the ship was wonderful.

I have to agree with the "aloof" comment about the concierge. He was efficient and performed the couple of minor tasks (reservations) we asked, but wasn't overly friendly. Other than that, every single staff member we had contact with was personable and outgoing. The WJ staff was the best we've ever experienced. We had breakfast there every morning, and had assistance with finding tables, etc.

Food in WJ was about the WJ norm, but I agree that those "pots" the food was stored in were horrible looking. Like cheap cookware from KMart.

I wouldn't hesitate to book NAV again -- in fact, I'd like to repeat that same itinerary! (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel) Our embarkation was a snap, and debarkation took about 35 minutes from ship to the EZ Cruise bus. Btw, EZ Cruise was great if you are driving to Galveston -- really simple!

There was one on our cabin crawl in April...fantastic cabin! Here are some pictures:

Thanks for the pics.. That is a family panoramic oceanview and we would have loved to get one of those... Had to stick with the larger panoramic. Looking forward to checking it out Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the pics.. That is a family panoramic oceanview and we would have loved to get one of those... Had to stick with the larger panoramic. Looking forward to checking it out Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry...I should have read more closely. I saw someone mention living area and jumped to conclusions! We also saw a larger panoramic on our crawl and it was VERY nice. I don't know how to link a picture from my iPad, but I'll try to do it tomorrow when I'm on my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
We have a Royal Family Suite booked on NOS as well, question.. Breakfast in Chops? Is this something special for suite guests?

Thanks!

Yes. They have a limited breakfast menu, or you can bring your food in from the Windjammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Dining

Went to Chops the first night, for 20% OFF, service was lousy, but the filet was the second best ever at sea.

The manager offered us a 50% discount if we dined there later in the cruise but we already had plans for Sabor

Sabor we also got 20% off

If you book right after the guacamole demonstration on the lido deck, the first sea day, they give you a discount.

Since we had found this out on the last cruise, we just asked when making the booking after boarding

Was Sabor open on Sea Days? Was the cost $15 for lunch? Thought I read this on a thread but have not found it. Thanks!

Was Sabor open on Sea Days? Was the cost $15 for lunch? Thought I read this on a thread but have not found it. Thanks!

Sabor was open for lunch on sea days, but I thought the price was the same as dinner, $25.

It used to be $25. However, a recent cruise compass quoted it at $15. :) They may have changed it due to fewer people trying it compared to the dinner service at the same price.

You are correct, I looked at a Compass from our Navigator cruise a few weeks ago and the lunch price for Sabor was $15. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks for checking this for me! I was sure someone posted $15 but could not find it! Makes you begin to think you might be having memory lapse for begin so long from your last cruise! Glad the next one is just 55 days away! :D

Edited by DaNana

Even the Oasis class boats have the belly flop contests; it's a big deal with underwater cameras in the Aqua theater pool. Not my cup of tea but well attended from what I saw in the highlight video promo.

Since school is in session I'm not surprised about the pushing of bingo. Odds are with more adults onboard it was more popular than normal.

Carnivalization is a bit of a stretch though (my opinion of course). Until Royal pulls more live entertainment, removes tablecloths from the mdr (sometimes), and a few other random things there is still a clear distinction. That being said, they are both mass market lines so little surprises me anymore as they are all competing for the first time cruisers. I'm just glad that Royal doesn't always need to compete on price to do it.