Danube River water levels

listaLolis

It certainly could t have been us on the Var. We left Nuremberg Saturday at 13:30 and are now (Sun morning) docked at Regensburg. We are scheduled to sail late Sunday evening to Passau. Will know if that is actually possible later today.

We're on the Oct 16 Viking Var, from Erlangen to Budapest. At least the boat made it to Erlangen.

The Cruise Director is "hopeful, fingers-crossed" to make it all the way to Budapest. The likeliest problem area is between Regensburg and Passau. We'll be told Sunday night whether we will do a ship swap on Tuesday.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The Var is holding in Regensburg overnight to judge the Danube levels in the morning. We'll definitely bus to Passau Monday morning, but is unknown whether the Var will meet us in Passau or we'll switch to the Tor.

Mid-day Monday the Var is headed downstream. Most of the passengers were in Passau, bussed while the boat held in Regensberg. Upon clearance, the Var left Regensberg, sailing east, while the passengers bussed west to meet for re-embarkation at Deggendorf. Theoretically, we'll sail overnight to arrive at Melk just a little behind schedule Tuesday morning.

Mid-day Monday the Var is headed downstream. Most of the passengers were in Passau, bussed while the boat held in Regensberg. Upon clearance, the Var left Regensberg, sailing east, while the passengers bussed west to meet for re-embarkation at Deggendorf. Theoretically, we'll sail overnight to arrive at Melk just a little behind schedule Tuesday morning.

Hooray! Is she thru the worse spots yet? Fingers crossed you're over that last hurdle and you"ll have smooth sailing from now on. Go Var!!!:)

Tue morning: Var left Deggendorf, which is supposed to be the lowest level on this part of the Danube, Monday night and is past Linz, headed to Melk. Apparently unrelated to water levels, we're behind schedule and will not get to Melk until afternoon (instead of morning).

We are leaving on our our first cruise Nov. 9th on the Viking Modi from Amsterdam to Budapest. I have been concerned about the water levels and found a ship tracking site were you can follow any ship's location.

You can see in real time that there are cruise ships (the Modi included) traveling the Danube, so it looks 'good to go' for now.

If your ship is not in the area, you can check it's draft on the website and look for other ships with the same draft on the river.

Also available as an App for Android and Apple.

http://www.cruiseshipposition.com/

OR

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

Disclaimer- no relations to websites, developers, etc, just a 1st time cruiser that likes to be sure

Edited by gwntravel

There has been quite a bit of rain over the past few days. I don't the water level is going to be an issue in the near term. There is bridge construction in Vienna Saturday night 10/25 that will stop river traffic for a several hours, though.

We are leaving on our our first cruise Nov. 9th on the Viking Modi from Amsterdam to Budapest. I have been concerned about the water levels and found a ship tracking site were you can follow any ship's location.

http://www.cruiseshipposition.com/

OR

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

Disclaimer- no relations to websites, developers, etc, just a 1st time cruiser that likes to be sure

We will be joining you on the Modi on the 9th! Hopefully all water issues will be non issues when we embark from Amsterdam.

Scott

We will be joining you on the Modi on the 9th! Hopefully all water issues will be non issues when we embark from Amsterdam.

Scott

We look forward to meeting you.

If I see anything change water wise I will post it here for all to see.

Modi should dock on the 24th in Budapest (she is 68 kilometer upstream from Linz right now traveling at 9.5 knots).

Edited by gwntravel

We are on AMADolce now. We left Nuremburg on the 20th and are docked in Regensberg for the day. No water level issues. Chilly, cloudy weather so far with a little rain. Wonderful ship and crew. We are enjoying it immensely!

We´re in Nuremberg on our pre-cruise excursions. Had a fabulous, smooth as silk flight on Lufthansa from LAX to Frankfurt and a hair-raising, hectic transfer to catch our puddle jumper connection from Frankfurt to Nuremberg. We made it in one piece and had a few hours to adjust to the timezone change. We skipped the Viking included Nuremberg Castle tour and spent today touring Berchtesgaden and Salzburg on our own (booked a private tour - pricev, but worth every penny). Tomorrow, we will tour Dachau on our own before making our own arrangements to board our ship.

A day before we left, Viking contacted us via email to inform us that we would be sailing on the Viking Jarl instead of the Atla. Good news, as it means that ships are able to sail through from Nuremberg to Budapest. Hope our luck holds.

We are having a marvelous time. We are staying at the Le Meridien Grand Hotel in Nuremberg and the staff here couldn't be more helpful. Staff and food are top notch.

Will report back after boarding. Auf Wiedersehen!

Hi I am scheduled for the Nuremberg-Budapest voyage Nov 1 with the inclusion of pre-cruise in Prague. I have only just begun reading about the low river issues that have impacted travel on the Danube. I learned from a friend who was booked on a Tauck organized cruise scheduled for mid October and due to low river-they were offered a refund. I am not sure what the conditions are for next week but I am hoping that we have proper river depths so as to experience the river cruise/ports as anticipated.

It would think that Viking is well aware of river flotation circumstances more that one day at a time and can anticipate what lies ahead and therefore, in the true sense of top level service should advise its guests of these circumstances and offer options before being taken for "bus" rides!!!

Thank you to those who have shared your experiences albeit not the most pleasurable!

PS: I have only cruised on Crystal and yes we have had to miss a port due to weather conditions but were offered a semblance of financial credit immediately for the inconvenience!

Profun1 - How is the cruise going? I'm tracking the ships going up between Nuremberg and Budapest as I'll be on the November first Budapest to Nuremberg cruise and I noticed that the Jarl has been stuck in Regensburg for the past few days. Are the water levels ok or are you being forced to be bused?