Danube River water levels

listaLolis

Just got off the Viking njord after transferring from Viking Freya mid way. Started in Nuremberg last Saturday. We were able to sail to regensburg but had to be bussed to Passau. The following day we were bussed to melk where we got on our original ship the Njord. Sailed to Vienna from melk then received the news that we could not leave Vienna because of low water levels. They bussed us to Budapest on Friday and put us up at the Marriott hotel in Budapest last night.

Sorry to hear about your "cruise".... Hope Viking gave you some perks. Wondered why the ships weren't getting to Budapest. Praying for rain there. Thanks for the update and safe travels!

It sounds like you spent a lot of time on ground transportation and very little on your boat. What was that like? We are traveling from Budapest beginning 11/20.

Ours starts in Nuremberg on the 20th... Hope the rivers rise! What ship are you supposed to be on? Ours is Viking Tor.

Sorry to hear about your "cruise".... Hope Viking gave you some perks. Wondered why the ships weren't getting to Budapest. Praying for rain there. Thanks for the update and safe travels!

After speaking with our cruise director today, he indicated that the water level in Budapest is too low at present for Viking to sail. He also showed us where the water level should be on the Rhine (we are in Cologne today). His feeling was that the Rhine would also be a problem for the future cruises, but of course it will be up to the captains to make that call. From the ship, it looked to be about 12 feet lower than usual.

We sailed quite slowly from Wertheim to Koblenz, arriving just a little bit late. It was the highlight of the cruise; however, with castle after castle.

Sheila

We are 'supposed' to be in the Viking Gefjon out of Budapest on the 20th. It is feeling more and more like we may end up on a bus!? to Vienna. We have never done a river cruise and we are very distressed that the cruise we had thought we were going to have in which we could unpack, relax and enjoy the romance of the Danube to Nuremberg will not happen. Even worse, is Viking will not give any information about the situation. Fortunately, we have the messages here on Cruise Critic to give us some current information. I hope that others currently cruising will let us know their experience so we can decide what to expect and what to do. Please pass along anything you learn and we will do likewise.

To Therapyphd : Would you tell me how you like the Viking ship? Is the food up to your standards? How about the cabin. Which one do you have?

Which ship is it? I'm curious because I wish to do a river cruise but don't know which one. Thanks so much.

Edited by latinqt

It sounds like you spent a lot of time on ground transportation and very little on your boat. What was that like? We are traveling from Budapest beginning 11/20.

Hi therapy

Yes we spent a great deal of time on the busses. It was very frustrating. When we drove into Budapest yesterday morning and crossed the river you could tell how low the water levels were. There were many ships stuck along the Danube.

I guess the biggest complaint I heard from people was that no matter how many times people called in inquire about the water levels Viking kept telling them that their cruise would not be affected. One woman even said she had an email from Viking 2 days before we were set to sail assuring her that they would be on the Njord and there would be no itinerary changes. I found this to be a little odd as I found out the Tuesday begore that we were boarding the Freya not the njord in Nuremberg.

On the upside the weather was absolutely perfect. It's just too bad we had to spend a lot of it on the bus and not on the river. Aside from a side excursion Viking arranged for us in Melk, a cruise down the Danube on the SS Austria (I think that was the name) we did not spend any daylight time on the river.

Edited by mareb1000

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience. I think Viking is fearful that if they are honest, folks like us will cancel our plans (thank goodness we got trip insurance). I am sadden by the unwillingness of Viking to 'level' with us. Again, I am very appreciative of your giving us good information from which to work.

Hi berry

Viking had open bar the evening we changed ships and they offered the optional excursion in Vienna as complimentary.

On the 4 hour bus ride to Budapest yesterday the program director walked down the aisle to answer questions and address people's frustrations as best he could. He was hopeful that Viking would offer some sort of compensation. It was a rough week for many travelers but I only saw a few people really lose their cool on board ship.

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience. I think Viking is fearful that if they are honest, folks like us will cancel our plans (thank goodness we got trip insurance). I am sadden by the unwillingness of Viking to 'level' with us. Again, I am very appreciative of your giving us good information from which to work.

You are very welcome. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Better take a look at that policy. Many policies that do cover "cancel for any reason" don't cover it at 100%

Are any of the other RiverCruise boats navigating the Danube or is this specifically a Viking Issue?

Are the AMA, Avalon,Uniworld ships able to get up or down river?

The only ship I saw actually sailing the Danube was the AMA Sonata in PAssau. All the other ships, Avalon, Uniworld and Tauck were anchored just like Viking.

Are any of the other RiverCruise boats navigating the Danube or is this specifically a Viking Issue?

Are the AMA, Avalon,Uniworld ships able to get up or down river?

Excellent questions!

Host Jazzbeau - then the water level issue started this summer Cruise Critic was very good about putting up articles every few days with the latest status from all or most of the river cruise lines. Since the problem persists, why haven't the articles continued?

Edited by capriccio

As we completed our cruise only two weeks ago I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. Our trip was Viking the Prestige from Passau to Budapest, Oct. 17-24. We had no problem with water levels. My question is: has the level gone down so that ships can't sail on the Danube into Budapest? I'm really curious. Thank you.

As we completed our cruise only two weeks ago I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. Our trip was Viking the Prestige from Passau to Budapest, Oct. 17-24. We had no problem with water levels. My question is: has the level gone down so that ships can't sail on the Danube into Budapest? I'm really curious. Thank you.

It doesn't take long for the water levels to change. Yesterday in Budapest there were many ships that looked like they weren't going anywhere. As it was told to us in the briefing Wednesday evening aboard the Njord this is/was the first time in many years that ships could not sail from Vienna to Budapest due to extremely low water levels.

Our cruise starts November 28th so hopefully there will be some rain to raise the Danube water levels. My question is, if we are bussed where are our meals?

In Nuremberg and regensburg meals were on the ship. In passau you had the option of going back to the ship for lunch after the city tour or staying in passau for the whole day. Lunch was on Viking at a hotel restaurant in passau. In Melk we had lunch on board the SS Austria (a small ship that Viking arranged to take us down a small portion of the Danube). In Vienna all meals were on the ship. In Budapest lunch was at a restaurant outside the city center and dinner was at the Marriott hotel; all at Vikings expense.

Excellent questions!

Host Jazzbeau - then the water level issue started this summer Cruise Critic was very good about putting up articles every few days with the latest status from all or most of the river cruise lines. Since the problem persists, why haven't the articles continued?

I don't know. Possibly because we are past the high season for travel? [That's just a wild guess -- no inside knowledge here!]

The only ship I saw actually sailing the Danube was the AMA Sonata in PAssau. All the other ships, Avalon, Uniworld and Tauck were anchored just like Viking.

Add Scenic to that list...We were on Viking Embla and tied up to Scenic in the "holding" area 3 k' s south of Passau. At least Viking has plenty of ships both on the North and south side of the problem area..Passau to Regensburg..to make a "portage" via bus. Other lines have had to turn half their cruise into a bus trip.

We had no problem with the Viking ship swap this week..did not lose any touring time. Were given the optional tour to Rothenburg free... plus lunches in Regensburg and Nuremberg ...was actually a good experience for many passengers who would not normally eat in a German restaurant.

Regarding the comment on not getting to cruise these parts of the Danube in daylight, this section is normally transited at night so you don't miss anything by being bussed...even gain a view of the countryside during the short bus ride.

Edited by arima22

To Therapyphd : Would you tell me how you like the Viking ship? Is the food up to your standards? How about the cabin. Which one do you have?

Which ship is it? I'm curious because I wish to do a river cruise but don't know which one. Thanks so much.

Questions better asked in a separate thread so that this one can remain on topic:

Danube River Water Levels.